No announcement yet.

How good is Kyle Lowry really?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you have to accept his faults along with his strengths. He has the ability to be a game changer on offense. I do think he needs to develop better court vision. He is not strong in the pick and roll and seldom gets it in to JV when he is posting up. I have been underwhelmed by his defense so far. I assume he has lost a bit of speed because of his foot injury, but he has been getting beaten rather easily by other PG's and his late game defense last night was terrible on Tyreke Evans, allowing him to make two uncontested 3's with the game tied with a minute left putting it out of reach. He didn't even make an effort to close out or get a hand up or anything. I was disappointed by that aspect, but very impressed with his intensity on offense.

Comment

Not that this is a definitive measure, but Hollinger's ranking has him as the second rated point guard after Chris Paul, with a PER of 23.57.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli.../_/position/pg

That caught me off guard to be honest. Put whatever stock you want into Hollinger's analysis but it is quite impressive regardless.

Comment

optifan wrote: View Post
        Not that this is a definitive measure, but Hollinger's ranking has him as the second rated point guard after Chris Paul, with a PER of 23.57.

That caught me off guard to be honest. Put whatever stock you want into Hollinger's analysis but it is quite impressive regardless.
        per is a good measure to me. after the first month or so it is loaded with the best players at the top so i tend to believe it.

just looked at your list and no one is playing less than 10 minutes, whish shows that they all have rolls on their teams.

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
          I think you have to accept his faults along with his strengths. He has the ability to be a game changer on offense. I do think he needs to develop better court vision. He is not strong in the pick and roll and seldom gets it in to JV when he is posting up. I have been underwhelmed by his defense so far. I assume he has lost a bit of speed because of his foot injury, but he has been getting beaten rather easily by other PG's and his late game defense last night was terrible on Tyreke Evans, allowing him to make two uncontested 3's with the game tied with a minute left putting it out of reach. He didn't even make an effort to close out or get a hand up or anything. I was disappointed by that aspect, but very impressed with his intensity on offense.
          Evans is a 25% career 3 pt shooter
          TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

I don't understand, this team's fans are this impatient, they try to knock on the player trying the very hardest to win games for the team?

Please people, he's just getting back into the groove he was when the season first started. If he was healthy without that bad ankle turn in OKC, I would believe he is an all-star to this very day. Individually, he is a very, very talented player, but the overall team around him is just so poor effort-wise. Specifically, Andrea Bargnani.

He has been selfish recently, but regarding how the team's play has been, him and Derozan are the only ones trying to make ANYTHING in general happen.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
              Evans is a 25% career 3 pt shooter
              Yeah, you want him shooting those shots.

Comment

Lowry is the only reason we haven't been blown out more this season. If half the team had his heart and tenacity, we'd be a lot better off. Plus, he hits shots.

Comment

optifan wrote: View Post

I'm not trying to make a statement about Lowry with this, but PER is arguably the least science based, for lack of a better word, of the advanced stats out there. Perhaps the biggest issue it has is as long as a player is shooting 33%+ from the field it claims that said player is helping the team. Which on a logical level is ludicrous and more than a few other statistics would tell you its plain wrong. The end result is unless you are the worst player in the history of the NBA (Rasual Butler?) just shooting the ball makes you a better player under PER. Ofcourse add that the most common thing a player does is shoot (with the exception of a few guys in the league) and its easy to see how quickly a correlation between shooting = better players under PER would start to form.

I do think Lowry is a good player, he is however though showing a tendency to make very bad decisions especially during important times. Would just like to see him call his own number a little less often than he does.

I've also read a few post criticizing Lowry's D. To that I'd like to point out how every single PGs defense on this team has been criticized over the years and especially so under Colangelo's watch. I think we'll find when Il Mago changes the one magic act that will take place is how differently we'll view this team PGs defense.

Comment

Lowry is exactly as advertised. Great scorer, tough as nails, aggressive defender, strong rebounder, but mediocre decision-maker.

It's this last characteristic that's keeping Lowry from being a truly "elite" point guard. He needs to cut down on the early shots, and driving uncontrollably into 3 defenders.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Lowry is exactly as advertised. Great scorer, tough as nails, aggressive defender, strong rebounder, but mediocre decision-maker.

It's this last characteristic that's keeping Lowry from being a truly "elite" point guard. He needs to cut down on the early shots, and driving uncontrollably into 3 defenders.
                      And on the 24th post ladies and gentlemen we have a winner. This is Lowry to a T. The guy has all the tools and competitive edge he's just a little immature and forgets he's responsible for keeping everyone involved.

The guy plays hard and does some glamorous things (getting to the line and rebounding) but he needs to keep that ball moving. How many deep 3's have we seen with the clock still in the 20's or high teens this year? His shot selection and timing of them is what drives some of us nuts. Take the bad with the good and there is no question more good but he's definitely has to move the ball a lot more IMO.

Comment

+1, but I'd add play making for teammates, not just himself, to the things to work on.

Comment

+1. Close the thread everyone. This is the answer.

Comment

Character is the biggest issue. His public feud with McChale/resignation from the Rockets suggests that his head is at least partway up his rear (which has to be the reason that Morey gave him up for little). Hopefully, for us, that was just a lack of maturity.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                              Character is the biggest issue. His public feud with McChale/resignation from the Rockets suggests that his head is at least partway up his rear (which has to be the reason that Morey gave him up for little). Hopefully, for us, that was just a lack of maturity.
                              That was his largest issue coming out of college. Maturity. But, it wasn't at a lack of effort, it's the want to be out there to win, win, and win.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                                That was his largest issue coming out of college. Maturity. But, it wasn't at a lack of effort, it's the want to be out there to win, win, and win.
                                It was also an issue with the Grizzlies and Rockets not just college. Yes he has a desire to win and is a fierce competitor but his maturity and decision making is questionable at best. His hero ball is responsible for a few losses this year. The key for the team is harnessing his intensity and keeping him under control. The talent and fire is there the only obsticle he has is all mental.

Comment

Working...
                                X