Wolstat: JJ not likely to return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ebrian wrote: View Post
    Isn't James Johnson "Incident" everyone is referring to basically the same thing Kyle Lowry went through in Houston? Doesn't make sense that JJ would be on the outs because of this when we just acquired a point guard with the exact same type of problem(s).
    If that's actually what the problem was with JJ last year, then maybe. But I don't think it was about playing time/role. I have a feeling there's more to it than that, despite what was said publicly.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

The Raptors no longer need JJ. If they could move him for a good backup PG like Ridnour or someone like that it would be great.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
        I think there is a difference between the two.

From all accounts Johnsons wanted a bigger role on the team. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing and probably isn't punishable. How he approached it ofcourse is another story, and it must have been boneheaded enough to land in the dog house. He took his disagreement with the coach standing up, admitted he made the mistake, kept it private and kept playing.

Lowry on the other butted heads with McHale, took it public and then made a demand of either the coach goes or he goes.
        This is the important distinction between the Lowry/JJ parallel. If JJ wanted his role increased then he should push for that, within the context of Casey's team management. Sounds like he may have had a hissy about it but he kept it within the locker room, realized he made a mistake and it passed. He has shown a willingness to work and improve, and that's what you look for in a player. He's young, has a role as a defender and facilitator (good assist average for a SF) that he provides at a reasonable price. Keep him, let him grow and let's see where we are by the trade deadline.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
          I think there is a difference between the two.

From all accounts Johnsons wanted a bigger role on the team. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing and probably isn't punishable. How he approached it ofcourse is another story, and it must have been boneheaded enough to land in the dog house. He took his disagreement with the coach standing up, admitted he made the mistake, kept it private and kept playing.

Lowry on the other butted heads with McHale, took it public and then made a demand of either the coach goes or he goes.
          Excellent points.

The fact that this was dealt with in house is nothing but a positive. I have read nothing as to what actually happened another plus, but the timing certainly coincided with the emerging playing time of Anderson.

Pretty much everybody here expects something else to happen, someone will be gone. JJ may very well be one of them. DC's comments about shooters being born leads me to believe the coach has confidence in being able to teach defense and not so much shooting. I like what JJ brings, perhaps it is his shooting ability more than anything that will lead him out of Toronto.

Comment

Re the differences between the "incidents" per JJ & Lowry....JJ is a relative rookie still on his first contract while Lowry has been in the L 5 seasons and on his second contract. All young players have an inflated view of their talents as well are looking towards their second deal. In order to gain a lucrative one they also need the pt to show their stuff. Lowry now considers himself the established starter and got pissed at a new coach who would not give him his position back after returning from an injury. In Lowry's case it started during a game when McHale physically pulled him into the huddle possibly because of a pout and play. JJ's I believe was locker room.

The above of course does not absolve both players from reacting the way they did. These issues have to be handled internally. McHale also has a history of being abrasive/stubborn with players (including more on the Rockets). Havent most of us had similar incidents based on work as well as pay levels/promotions? We of course can choose to leave...the players cannot...they get traded or let go...and this is how they make the "leaving" happen.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              The Raptors no longer need JJ. If they could move him for a good backup PG like Ridnour or someone like that it would be great.
              Funny that you said that. I read a speculation on Bleacherreport (probably mean that it's false) that said that the Raptors should trade JJ for Ridnour...

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                Regardless of the credibility of Wolstat, I was under the impression that Johnson is a goner anyway. Looks like Fields is here to stay, and Kleiza seems more valuable as a welcoming committee for Jonas than a basketball player. There's no point holding onto Johnson as a 3rd SF, especially with Ross being able to play that position in spurts also.

Johnson is the opposite of Bargnani, but just as troublesome. All defense, no offense.
                JJ is under contract .. $2.8 mm for this year. I cant imagine he will be gone. I think hes a push vs Landry Fields (better D, worse O). THey should be making roughly the same money, not the ridiculus offer we have Fields.

As for Ross / DD - there should be enough minutes to go aruond between the 2/3 positions that they get time along with Fields, JJ and Kleiza.

JJ is the most versatile guy that we have and I hope we keep him for a long time. Im sure this rumour is mostly BS .. if its not, Id be dissapointed.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                  Funny that you said that. I read a speculation on Bleacherreport (probably mean that it's false) that said that the Raptors should trade JJ for Ridnour...
                  Bleacher report is garbage bro
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                    As for Ross / DD - there should be enough minutes to go aruond between the 2/3 positions that they get time along with Fields, JJ and Kleiza.
                    A 5-man wing rotation? Too much for my liking.

Whether it's Johnson or not, somebody needs to go. Otherwise we're simple wasting trade-able assets.

Comment

JJ can certainly go. Kleiza probably plays more at the 4 than 3 anyways.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        JJ wanted a bigger piece of the team pie so Casey let him know who was boss
                        I honestly think that this was at the heart of it. JJ knows (just like all of us do) how talented he is. Instead of being humble and taking his role in stride, he expects to be a starter and a certain amount of respect he just hasn't earned. Actually, it's laughable and completely insane that he would think anyone should give a sh*t about him playing one year of halfway decent basketball for a bad team.

It's really too bad because his skill set is unique and he can definitley be a key roll player on a playoff team one day because of his ability to play defense. His attitude might stop him from becoming a great role player for 15 years.

Good riddance, i guess, but we may find ourselves needing a guy exactly like him later on.,...

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          As for JJ, I think he became overrated by most fans his first year with the team, when he was about the only player who put forth any semblence of effort, thus becoming the best defender on a team allergic to defense. I think he gambles too much for steals and blocks, often leaving his man or missing rotations. He thinks he's much better offensively than he is and is far too inconsistent making open shots from outside, which is what his job is supposed to be.
                          I agree; personally I don't think JJ is that good on defense, his stats (steals and blocks) are misleading and in fact inflated by playing bad (too much gambling) defense. I don't think he should qualify as our best perimeter defender. Now, if he would gamble less he might be. At the moment he is also too much of a liability on offense.

Comment

Our team desperately needs some form of talent infusion, and I don't think Lowry is enough. Most of the games we lost last year were because we couldn't score when it mattered (and because we had "Lottery-ball" Butler on the team). I hope the reason why JJ is not part of our plans is more so because we are looking to add more talent, and not because of that blow up with Casey. Every player has some kind of ego, and that's just part of the business of dealing with athletes. I think JJ is a serviceable player that would be good as an 8-10th man. But if we are swapping JJ for Fields, I think we need to do a lot better.

If the plan is to get someone like Iggy, Deng or Gay then yeah JJ needs to go. I'd even swap JJ for Wilson Chandler at this point. However there isn't really anyone else out there that catches my eye that would be a big upgrade to the SF position that could be made available from another team.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              A 5-man wing rotation? Too much for my liking.

Whether it's Johnson or not, somebody needs to go. Otherwise we're simple wasting trade-able assets.
                              You have 12 active guys. Isnt the right split
                              JC/KL
                              DD/QR/LF/JJ/LK
                              AB/JV/ED/AJ/AG

With Quincy Acy as a garbage man who hopefully has better suits than Reggie Evans?

We certainly dont need MORE big men. A third PG I could talk myself into certainly ..

?

Comment

Isn't Ben Uzoh going to be the 3rd point guard? He had a triple double!
                                your pal,
                                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                                X