Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are The Raptors Poised To Fail In The 2011 Draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employee wrote: View Post
    Yeah it's amazing how many players live cheque to cheque. I know that the union has been telling players to save their money.

I wonder if players can move to the D-league if there's a strike since Stern said it ain't goin anywhere next year.
    the cost of kush is crazy these days... no wonder some of these guys live cheque to cheque LOL in reality Id have a hard time believing that most players live cheque to cheque. if they do they need help(Mental) guys like beasley,west,cousins,evans are prob at money mart everyweek getting cash advances to pay for there habbits LOL
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Thu Dec 9, 2010, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Man, the last time we had a lock-out, 1998, we had a sweet draft. Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Dirk. I mean, quality will still be there if there is a lock-out this year. We just need the skill to weed through the riff raff. Most of these kids don't want to be in College. They want to be in the NBA. If they can go high in the draft, there is no way they are waiting another season. There are risks sticking it out another year in college.

Looking back at the 1998 draft (lock-out) and the 1999 draft (year after lock-out) you might expect the 1999 draft to be exceptional with all the college kids sticking another year in college during the lock-out. This was not the case. I would take Paul Pierce, Vince Carter (asshole), Antawn Jamison, Dirk from the 1998 draft over Elton Brand, Steve Francis (asshole), Baron Davis (asshole), and Wally Szczerbiak the 1999 draft.

All is not doom and gloom if Toronto gets a lottery pick this year.
      Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
        Looking back at the 1998 draft (lock-out) and the 1999 draft (year after lock-out) you might expect the 1999 draft to be exceptional with all the college kids sticking another year in college during the lock-out. This was not the case. I would take Paul Pierce, Vince Carter (asshole), Antawn Jamison, Dirk from the 1998 draft over Elton Brand, Steve Francis (asshole), Baron Davis (asshole), and Wally Szczerbiak the 1999 draft.

All is not doom and gloom if Toronto gets a lottery pick this year.
        You see...that is why history is an invaluable learning tool. This is obviously a bit of a tangent, but, it's so easy to theorize about why and how the lockout may affect the draft. Fact is, a lockout happened not so long ago. As opposed to wondering and speculating randomly about what may happen this time around, why not just look to what happened last time? It makes everything a lot easier.

Comment

Excuse if this was already addressed...we could well have picked Oden if the Age 19 rule not come into effect the year Bargs was picked. I think the most outrageous was the first draft. Imagine taking millions from Toronto & Vancouver and denying them the first picks (even in the following year). Having said that I wonder who Isiah would have chosen instead of Stoudamire with first overall in 95.

The issue of staying in school doesnt wash. Most of the really good ones already think they are ready for the NBA are not particularly interested in either personal nor basketball development. The guarantee of being drafted (the top guys) and being assured their position is too enticing I feel. I dont think many will change their minds. Actually I find it very hard to believe there will be lockout into the season. The owners will get their way mostly and the current top earners wont let it get too far....its probably the last contract for most of them with a loss of a lot of money they wont get back.
          Last edited by Bendit; Fri Dec 10, 2010, 11:38 AM.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
            the cost of kush is crazy these days... no wonder some of these guys live cheque to cheque LOL in reality Id have a hard time believing that most players live cheque to cheque. if they do they need help(Mental) guys like beasley,west,cousins,evans are prob at money mart everyweek getting cash advances to pay for there habbits LOL
            How is Chris Bosh gonna pay for his home if there's a lockout??!!

Naw I wouldn't say most, but a hell of a lot of players would have a hard time going a year without a pay cheque.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Naw I wouldn't say most, but a hell of a lot of players would have a hard time going a year without a pay cheque.
              id say if bosh is broke he should fire his accountant... same goes for anyone making 15mill per.... everyone keeps talking like these guys have never got paid before.... guys like KG have been getting 20+mill for the last number of years & your going to tell me that he couldnt take a year off & still have boat loads of money.... people need to stop thinking that because the NBAPA only has enough to pay 1 cheque during a lockout that these guys dont have money!!! alot of these guys are stinking rich...the rest are just rich!

Comment

I would agree that there a good number of players are very financially well off. But the majority of the players in the league are not top earners, but rather either young guys who are just cutting their professional teeth, or career role players who have never earned a huge contract in their career.

Because it is a union, all of the players voices count in discussions.

As for the draft, I think it is going to be a stronger year then most experts are predicting. I like the example that has been given of the 1998 draft that precedeed the lockout. That helps set a good precedent. But the majority of these top talent players will probably still leave college this year. Staying in means building a stronger talent pool for 2012, which also means dropping spots on the draft board.

Whether they come out now or in 2012, they will still sign a contract under the new CBA. This most likely means that a top 5 pick this year will earn as much as a top 5 pick next year...so why risk dropping if you are a top 10 or 15 talent? I think it is with the middle talent that we will see the biggest drop off this year. Stick around, continue to develop, and hope to move up in the boards for 2012.
                http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
                  I would agree that there a good number of players are very financially well off. But the majority of the players in the league are not top earners, but rather either young guys who are just cutting their professional teeth, or career role players who have never earned a huge contract in their career.

Because it is a union, all of the players voices count in discussions.

As for the draft, I think it is going to be a stronger year then most experts are predicting. I like the example that has been given of the 1998 draft that precedeed the lockout. That helps set a good precedent. But the majority of these top talent players will probably still leave college this year. Staying in means building a stronger talent pool for 2012, which also means dropping spots on the draft board.

Whether they come out now or in 2012, they will still sign a contract under the new CBA. This most likely means that a top 5 pick this year will earn as much as a top 5 pick next year...so why risk dropping if you are a top 10 or 15 talent? I think it is with the middle talent that we will see the biggest drop off this year. Stick around, continue to develop, and hope to move up in the boards for 2012.
                  I said it in another thread... the only ones who will trully suffer are rookies on rookie contracts... even a guy earning a MLE contract is still rich... some veteran min. guys will suffer but most of those guys have had there huge paydays already soo they should have somthing in the bank.

the only guys making 5mill & up who will suffer are dumb..& theyd prob be just as broke if they made 20mill a year..but thats there problem not a lockouts or contract size..i dont feel for them at all...

the GMs always cry about money but they always throw it around like its food stamps... & a hard cap wont change that..never did for NHL... there still forking out boat loads of cash for players...

Comment

id say if bosh is broke he should fire his accountant... same goes for anyone making 15mill per.... everyone keeps talking like these guys have never got paid before.... guys like KG have been getting 20+mill for the last number of years & your going to tell me that he couldnt take a year off & still have boat loads of money.... people need to stop thinking that because the NBAPA only has enough to pay 1 cheque during a lockout that these guys dont have money!!! alot of these guys are stinking rich...the rest are just rich!
                    One would think, but a large percentage of these guys do not manage their money anywhere near where they could or should, and often are spending on their entourage etc. without even realizing what they are spending. Antoine Walker is bankrupt and playing inthe D League, Manute Bol died in debt (big shame and a lot to do with what he doled out in charities and support), Iverson is rumoured to be in trouble with money. DWade credits the business side he learned from Shaq, otherwise he would be in trouble, and a huge example is Eddie Curry. The man is making 8 figures, and is already unable to keep up with his 'payments'. Just wait until next year when he will be lucky (very) to get vet's minimum. There are many, many more examples in every league. Just because someone makes boatloads of money doesn't by any means indicate they have money. Hell even Trump went bankrupt, he just has the know-how to make it back. It's not the same when your bag comes from playing a sport - something that is short lived on the upper scale of the money spectrum.

Comment

I said it in another thread... the only ones who will trully suffer are rookies on rookie contracts... even a guy earning a MLE contract is still rich... some veteran min. guys will suffer but most of those guys have had there huge paydays already soo they should have somthing in the bank.

the only guys making 5mill & up who will suffer are dumb..& theyd prob be just as broke if they made 20mill a year..but thats there problem not a lockouts or contract size..i dont feel for them at all...

the GMs always cry about money but they always throw it around like its food stamps... & a hard cap wont change that..never did for NHL... there still forking out boat loads of cash for players...
                      Should is the operative word. Does not mean 'does'. It is a sad state, but not a unique one. I read a few months ago that a large percentage (can't remember but definitely well into double digits so 40% or something) of lottery winners end up bankrupt. They just do not see the end to the gravy train and do not plan with their money.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                        Should is the operative word. Does not mean 'does'. It is a sad state, but not a unique one. I read a few months ago that a large percentage (can't remember but definitely well into double digits so 40% or something) of lottery winners end up bankrupt. They just do not see the end to the gravy train and do not plan with their money.
                        like i said in myy previous post... i dont feel sorry for those guys at all... i doubt the NBAPA cares either.. think of it this way.. would a labour union not go on strike just because a few of its employees cant save there money??? of course they would still strike.....a union is about all its members not just a select few...there will be alo more players who cant save in the future and if the league gets its wish of a hard cap then these guys will loose more in the long term... 40% roll backs on salary, new lowered max contracts... no guaranteed contracts...higher age limit for turning pro... all these things = a huge loss for players in the long term...more so then sitting out a season

as a fan i dont want a lockout & id love to see the raps win a title...but if i was a union rep. or player id def. not want the hard cap.
                        Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Fri Dec 10, 2010, 02:24 PM.

Comment

He'll pay for it with his "Got Milk" ads!!! haha

Comment

What did you mean by the Raptors stockpiled a bunch of picks? Don't we just have the two first rounders?
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

Bosh better have he saved some of his Raptor money. He may have to cut All-Star advertisement costs this year. Maybe he could switch from video adds to handing out flier on road games?

Comment

I was joking (sorta). It really is true though, most of these players come from a really poor background and saving money isn't their strongpoint. not everyone is making 17 mil a year. Eddy Curry gets advances on his cheque all the time (and he get like 14 mil a year). A lot of these players got their 15 man entourage and family (and extended family) they're looking after.

A lot of owners can do a lockout cause they're losing money anyway so it ain't a big a deal.
                                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Working...
                                X