Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    "Hey, sometimes, when it comes down to those situations, a guy like Rudy Gay, can get you that call" - Matt Devlin, after Jack Armstrong was furious and went off about Casey possibly getting fined for being right.

There goes the girly, idiotic, jumpy smile again...
    Derozan gets to the lin 5-6 sots a game. Gay, Never more than 4 for his career.....idiotic, yup. Why isn't Devlin a political spokesperson, btw?

Comment

• Definitely not star struck and I have no idea why anyone would be. Super disappointed in the trade. What exactly is Gay going to offer besides being the new face of the team? Not good at 3's. Not good at D. Takes a lot of shit shots and still doesn't even have a good FG%. Not good at getting to the line. WAY too expensive. Another hype player that has fallen below expectations and statistically not even much better than Bargs. Its like he hit his peak in 2008 season and has been in a slow decline ever since.
      Last edited by iblastoff; Thu Jan 31, 2013, 04:17 AM.

Comment

• Ball Don't Lie-

Think of this deal for Toronto in terms that exclude specifics. The franchise had a competent point guard with a massive expiring contract and a very talented 23-year-old center who is working on a rookie deal paying him less than half of the NBA’s average salary. They turned those assets into Gay, who they’ll pay more than $37 million to over the next two years. Missteps don’t come much more obvious than this.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          Remember when we all had trade threads dedicated to Rudy Gay? How many fans wanted him so badly, but many also calling us idiots and called it a 'pipe dream?'

Remember when people were giving up guys like Amir Johnson, Demar Derozan, and the 8th pick (Now Terrence Ross) to get a guy like that?

Well, we traded Jose & Ed (I'm very saddened they are gone, but there's a thread dedicated for those 2) to acquire Rudy Gay.

Ever since the trade was made official, and every time I've said something like "we have Rudy Gay", I find myself smiling like a damn idiot, or even jumping up and down cause we've got a guy that we haven't had, quite frankly since the departure of Chris Bosh.

Anyone feel the same way? Anyone a little less star-struck? Some more than I? Some who don't give a shit?
          not to nitpick. But, i believe you mean "surreal" the feeling is surreal...referring to the title ofcourse
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• jamesk wrote: View Post
            Ball Don't Lie-

The franchise had a competent point guard with a massive expiring contract
            And what were we going to use that money on? Have we ever been able to sign a player of Rudy's ability in free agency. Sad to say, but we just don't have that draw, we have to over pay guys like Landry to come here. Extra cash doesn't help us. As for Ed, yes he was serviceable, but I don't think he is a player of Gay's caliber.

Comment

• Time for everyone to put their buyer's remorse aside. Whether Gay is having is worst year or he duplicates Derozan...these are crazy times. Remember that Mark Wahlberg movie where he was a huge fan of a band and then he became their lead singer? This is it. For more than a year, a very common thought from many on this forum was "Memphis probably can't afford Rudy Gay and we need a SF like Rudy Gay. Get it done". It made sense to everybody except the actual people who were in charge. Now it's done.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ground+running

Time to start the "let's get Kevin Durant" thread

Comment

• Based on the responses to this thread, I think it's safe to say you can't please everyone.

If at the beginning of the season someone had said Jose + ED for Gay, people would have been wetting themselves in excitement. Davis is having a very good season, but if you have give up something to get something.

I'm just glad we are done with the Jose love-affair and can start focusing on talent and winning games. Lowry, DD, Gay, JV and Ross makes a very nice stable to build around. If Bargnani can return to form and be traded for a real PF, that would be super as well.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                  Based on the responses to this thread, I think it's safe to say you can't please everyone.

If at the beginning of the season someone had said Jose + ED for Gay, people would have been wetting themselves in excitement. Davis is having a very good season, but if you have give up something to get something.

I'm just glad we are done with the Jose love-affair and can start focusing on talent and winning games. Lowry, DD, Gay, JV and Ross makes a very nice stable to build around. If Bargnani can return to form and be traded for a real PF, that would be super as well.
                  +1, good post. Looking forward to these next few weeks at what is gonna happen

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                    Based on the responses to this thread, I think it's safe to say you can't please everyone.

While I completely agree with your first sentence, to the bolded, those could easily be the same people that are wetting themselves in excitment now.

To the final paragraph. This team is focusing on 'talent' the same way it has for 7 years - short term. Thats the problem.

Comment

• in the lead up to this trade i hated it.... but now that it's real, and i had a chance to sleep on it.... i dunno

kinda makes sense

calderon was solid, and he'll be missed... and i wouldn't wish detroit on my worst enemy... and Ed was coming along nicely

but really... what were the chances of the raps landing an upper middle tier or better SF through free agency, and what assets do they have that could have got one via trade?

Gay is a gamble... but at the end of the day, you can't worry about everyone supporting your decision, and do what's best for you... and hope your parents don't disown you.

i'll miss Ed on the team... but god damn, is he going to the right place for his career... to basically understudy under Marc Gasol and Z-Bo? in a few years, Davis is going to be a beast

i feel sorry for Jose though... i wouldn't wish Detroit on anybody.

Comment

• Craiger wrote: View Post
                        While I completely agree with your first sentence, to the bolded, those could easily be the same people that are wetting themselves in excitment now.

To the final paragraph. This team is focusing on 'talent' the same way it has for 7 years - short term. Thats the problem.
                        I'd like to see what they do with DeMar and Bargnani before passing judgement. At 26 years of age Gay and Lowry are entering their primes while Ross/21 and JV/20 are scratching the surface.

Comment

• Craiger wrote: View Post
                          100% agree. I can't remember where I saw it, but one of the write-ups on the trade mentioned that in two years it's more than likely that Davis was the best player in the deal.

I just don't understand why the team feels the need to try to compete for a middling playoff spot. Without HUGE changes to this roster, even as it stands right now, the Raps have no chance of beating any of the elite teams in a 7 game series. So what's the point, other than BC trying to save his job and sell a few more tickets?

Comment

• A few quick notes:

1 - I like the trade for the Raptors. People are saying giving up what they gave up was a large price, but I disagree. Calderon is gone at the end of the season; if you don't trade him, you get nothing. Ed Davis is a good player, but he's not a great player. ED isn't even going to start for Memphis, and that's kind of the point here - Davis is a serviceable big, but he's no star. Gay, on the other hand, would start over 80% of the small forwards in the league.

2 - With that said, Gay's contract is overpriced. Then again, that's not a huge issue if you have one of them, but having doled out massive money to DeRozan and Bargnani (who have much worse contracts than Gay in terms of return on investment), the issue is bigger.

3 - If this is a precursor trade, any trade to move Bargs would make some sense, but trading DeRozan would make even more sense, crazy as that sounds. Committing to KL, Ross, and Gay would be light years better than most wing rotations Toronto has rolled out.

4 - Downside: this probably means AB has a role with this team, though one can always hope he also gets traded.

Comment

• Feels real?? Do you work for MLSE or the refs who fix the game outcomes?
                              Are you F****G serious?? You actually think this is a good deal and Gay brings 'it'?? So problem solved??
                              Everyone gives BC a 'C-' on this deal and we actually got rubbed blind and you are happy?? Are you paid to post this??
                              You loose a good point guard in Jose Calderon and a young talent in Ed Davis and get an over-paid , max player that is only maxed on 'hype' and you are happy??

Well, it is because of 'fans' like you (if you are a fan by the way) that this franchise continues to be mediocre at best. It is because of fans like you that we have no 'pride' or 'respect'.
                              It is because of fans like you that no free agent wants to come to T.O. despite our best of the best facilities, fans (not you), and city itself. You are the type who readily boo the likes of VC and CB4 but take any wash-off and burnt/garbage player and elevate them to the levels of elite players and saviours and cheer them on when they go 1 of 15 every night.
                              It is because of this that players allow themselves to ignore their signed contracts and make a mockery of our orgnaization. (where do I start: JO, Alonzo M, Hakeem O, .... the list goes on)

This my friend is what is 'real' ... next time , instead of insulting real fan's intelligence, just write 'it feels real, we got F****D real bad' ...

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                                i feel sorry for Jose though... i wouldn't wish Detroit on anybody.
                                Haha Amen.
                                On the bright side, he can use whatever he was paying for his Condo in Toronto and buy something 20x bigger in Detroit. Haha Heck, he could probably buy a whole COndo building in Detroit for what he musta been paying here.

Comment

Working...
                                X