No announcement yet.

Colangelo: Bargnani misunderstood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am actually very tired of whatever spin comes out of Bryan's mouth. Maybe because it is simply always spin.

Comment

seems like a ploy at other gm minds' to me. a quick reminder of what he can do and then the cheese of "if he buys in, on both sides of the floor" hopefully there are a couple gms talking with their coaches about how they feel they can motivate a player like bargs.

Comment

Remember the talk about getting rid of Lowry, while he was on the bench and Jose was playing so well? Then Lowry comes back and plays in a different style and he is suddenly a great and wonderful thing. I am expecting Bargs to come back and play differently. Casey has increased his power within the organization by having a winning team. I believe he can now dictate to AB how he will play or Bargs will ride the pine.

Andrea must have personal pride. I don't think it is possible to be a player at this level of competition without pride. If he wants to play, I think he will have to satisfy the coach with his play. That means the Andrea from last years magic 13 game stretch. If he plays like that, BC may be able to trade him. If he doesn't come back from his injury soon enough, and demonstrate that capability, it may be very hard to move him. I am still extremely conflicted about Andrea. Like the spouse who keeps hoping their alcoholic partner can stay of the booze "this" time. Some alcoholics do manage to stop drinking. Can a seven foot Italian shooter learn to lay defence?

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
          That means the Andrea from last years magic 13 game stretch. If he plays like that, BC may be able to trade him.
          If he plays like that, why the hell would we trade him?

Bargnani is a catch-22: Some fans want to trade him because he wasn't playing well -> he has to play well in order for us to trade him -> If he plays well we won't (or shouldn't) want to trade him.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
            If he plays like that, why the hell would we trade him?

Bargnani is a catch-22: Some fans want to trade him because he wasn't playing well -> he has to play well in order for us to trade him -> If he plays well we won't (or shouldn't) want to trade him.
            The problem is that Bargnani is consistently inconsistent. If he plays well, does that guarantee that he will continue to play well? 7 years have proven (to me anyway) that he will not be able to keep it up.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              The problem is that Bargnani is consistently inconsistent. If he plays well, does that guarantee that he will continue to play well? 7 years have proven (to me anyway) that he will not be able to keep it up.

Same as you, that was my assumption, and why I talked about the possibility of a trade if he shows something. As I mention in another thread I am conflicted about Bargs...but I recognize the tendency to overvalue what you have. If he starts playing well, it is silly to expect it to continue given the history. So take advantage of someone else's fantasy of a consistently strongly motivated Bargnani, and trade him.

Comment

That sample size talk is absolutely ludicrous. Even as we win games I continue to support the firing of this guy. He's clueless.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                  That sample size talk is absolutely ludicrous. Even as we win games I continue to support the firing of this guy. He's clueless.
                  Ding ding.

If there's any downside to the team's recent surge, it's that the heat has started to come off of Colangelo. Consider me still in the camp that thinks giving BC another extension in Toronto would be insane. In the meantime, I no longer want to hear the constant stream of spin from him where he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.

Comment

I'm all for trading Bargs, but we need to get value back. He does have value to this team. I think he would thrive coming in as a sixth man subbing Ed and Jonas. He has to buy into Casey's system though. The days of him parking his ass on the three point line is over. Either he plays like a PF/C or he is out the door. It's nice that we now have other options, and we can simply say "sit your ass down".

The other key is not take away minutes from Ed or Jonas. They should still get starters minutes.

Basically I would like to see if this has lit a fire under Bargs ass and if he would actually make us better in that role.

Comment

What if Bargs comes back, buys in, and plays out of his mind the rest of the year? Will people still want him moved?
                      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                        What if Bargs comes back, buys in, and plays out of his mind the rest of the year? Will people still want him moved?
                        It is probably selfish on my part but yes. We've seen this act before. I know in the back of my mind I'll always be questioning and wondering when will he become disinterested again. Plus, I think there has been too much favouritism displayed to him by management and coaches. The comments from DC at the start of the year about no one having a guaranteed starting spot but Bargnani and the numerous referrals to he is our main guy/come hell or high water/etc. make me wake up at night with cold sweats.

I don't wish anything ill on Bargnani and I certainly don't know him as a person. But his time as a Raptor is up in my opinion. It is in his best interests and the franchise's best interests. I think both will have more success a part than they will together.

Comment

Sadly I can't really see any team that would benefit from trading for him.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                            Buys into meaning taking less shots and defending and grabbing 3 more rebounds (total 8) per game. It's just insane to think that's possible after 7 years. In short, NO.
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                              Sadly I can't really see any team that would benefit from trading for him.
                              I'm arriving at the same place. Bargnani's a really hard player to move considering the money and term left on his deal, his current injury status, and the overall beatdown his reputation has took in various forms the past three months. Just about every NBA franchise has an analytics department of some kind by now, and even if they don't, the National Post has been pumping out articles that break down just how much better the Raptors are without Bargnani on the floor. I feel like any team that is willing to give up something of even remote value for Bargnani hasn't been paying attention at all.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                It is probably selfish on my part but yes. We've seen this act before. I know in the back of my mind I'll always be questioning and wondering when will he become disinterested again. Plus, I think there has been too much favouritism displayed to him by management and coaches. The comments from DC at the start of the year about no one having a guaranteed starting spot but Bargnani and the numerous referrals to he is our main guy/come hell or high water/etc. make me wake up at night with cold sweats.

I don't wish anything ill on Bargnani and I certainly don't know him as a person. But his time as a Raptor is up in my opinion. It is in his best interests and the franchise's best interests. I think both will have more success a part than they will together.
                                I don't disagree with you, he has overstayed his welcome and I'd like to see him gone regardless, but if he comes back playing defense and passing instead of forcing up shots, he could end up being our best player. If he comes back and we keep winning with him playing a big role, I think he will be kept and probably start by the end of the year.

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                                Buys into meaning taking less shots and defending and grabbing 3 more rebounds (total 8) per game. It's just insane to think that's possible after 7 years. In short, NO.
                                I'm not sure if he'll ever grab more rebounds, but if comes in playing defense and sharing the ball that is plenty enough of an improvement, assuming he's also making shots. I actually think moving to a more team oriented approach should be natural for him, it's more like how he plays in Europe.
                                "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X