Pistons interested in Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    This is actually pretty cool.. if I've learned anything already from Ujiri is that he's full of surprises. Detroit showing interest in Gay could mean that Ujiri is waiting for another team to call him so that he can create a bidding war.

For example, the Suns came out of left field in the Bledsoe rumours.

I would be willing to get rid of Gay if we could get a solid core piece, a young asset, and picks. If Detroit does land Gay I don't really see them as a lottery team, at least not in the bottom 8. So that Charlotte pick will look pretty bad.

I wonder if the Suns would be interested? Dragic (or Gortat), Scola, and 2014 first (or Minny's 2014 first but that's protected)? If I recall, they were one of the teams interested in Gay last year.
    This is actually how I think these rumours would benefit Toronto. Ujiri seemed to use the Clips rumours to drum up Bargs trade value a bit, or at least generate more pressing interest from teams...like the Knicks.

I like Ujiri. He has not really disappointed so far. It was a shame not getting into the draft, but with the high-cost assets TO had, it was always very unlikely.

Comment

Comment

But we have Ross

Letter N wrote: View Post
        If Pistons trade Drummond they'd be idiots, no one would pass up such a physical specimen with the potential to dominate centres for the next 10 years for some run of the mill shooting guard.

And to think we passed him for Ross (the run of the mill shooting guard).
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

The Raps at the moment feels like that "in-between" and indecisive teen. On the one hand, they could go for it and at least make the first round (playoffs) and save face OR tank altogether. Colangelo's departure is telling in that MU was probably hinting at blowing it up. As for the Gay rumours, I don't buy that MU or the Raps FO leaked this to drum up the price. MU is getting all kinds of ridiculous offers as we speak and no market was needed to be created to begin with. This was leaked on the Detroit side where some beat reporter got a "tip" and promptly posted it on Twitter. The only reason why I'm following this on Twitter is because some of these proposals are very entertaining to say the least. Keep 'em coming!
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
            The Raps at the moment feels like that "in-between" and indecisive teen. On the one and, they could go for it and at least make the first round and save face OR tank altogether. Colangelo's departure is telling in that MU was probably hinting at blowing it up. As for the Gay rumours, I don't buy that MU or the Raps FO leaked this to drum up the price. MU is getting all kinds of ridiculous offers as we speak and no market was needed to begin with. This was leaked on the Detroit side where some beat reporter got a "tip" and promptly posted it on Twitter. The only reason why I'm following this on Twitter is because some of these proposals are very entertaining to say the least. Keep 'em coming!
            I don't think MU leaked it. I am 99% sure Detroit leaked it. But I think it will be more helpful to Toronto than to Detroit.

Detroit is trying to fake people out, trying to convince them Stuckey and Villanueva have value. All they're doing is proving how little value they have because no way Ujiri accepts such a deal. In the end it'll just show that these guys can in no way net them a talented player, and they'll have to give up real assets to get something done.

Comment

if I'm Masai the ultimate coup would be finding a way to build into the playoffs while getting another teams picks to get us into the top 5 in the 2014 draft. So I would say that in order to secure Rudy Gay, I'd want a starting calibre player, an expiring, and an assortment of picks.
              Last edited by thead; Wed Jul 3, 2013, 10:02 AM.
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                if I'm Masai the ultimate coup would be finding a way to build into the playoffs while getting another teams picks to get us into the top 5 in the 2014 draft. So I would say that in order to secure Rudy Gay, I'd want a starting calibre player, an expiring, and an assortment of picks.
                Very much similar to what I posted in another thread:

I'd like to see a team assembled with a lot of flexibility and potential that can also compete now.

Call me greedy.

Quality pieces and quality systems (off and def) can get you a 7th or 8th seed especially when next year the Raps will have 8 games versus teams visibly tanking.

Considering that:

1) Colangelo never built a cohesive team but rather a collection of individuals designed to fix the flaws of one another,
                2) Casey struggled to do what he wanted to do due to interference from above,
                3) Raptors were 10-16 before finishing year on 7-2 run with Gay,

....is it insane to think that the Raptors might be able to trade away 'desirable' pieces (like Gay, DD, and Lowry) and in return:

1) get first multiple first round picks,
                2) flexibility to pursue high value contracts (like Dunleavey to Bulls for $3M per year, as an example)

....allowing the Raptors to compete this up coming season AND get draft benefits as well?

Essentially what I am proposing is a MoneyBall meets "Denver-experience-after-Melo-drama".

Nah, maybe don't call me greedy but rather insane.

Comment

I still feel that DeRozan should go first than Gay. Can you imagine if Gay really deals with his vision issues (there was a report that he had some form of corrective procedure done to his eye). The redundancy moving forward will have to be dealt with. With Gay in the fold, I just can't see DD improving much compared to last year. I'm afraid that if he regresses, we're stuck with him. Gay only has 2 years left anyway. I'd prefer to hold on to him rather than the younger DD.

Comment

Cleveland is sick of being in the draft. Gay for Bennet(potential), Verajao(immediate help/expiring) and picks(future) is an example of something that would do well followed up by DeRozan and Gray to the Bucks for Ilyasova and picks
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Cleveland is sick of being in the draft. Gay for Bennet(potential), Verajao(immediate help/expiring) and picks(future) is an example of something that would do well followed up by DeRozan and Gray to the Bucks for Ilyasova and picks
                      This is kind of weird...only because all the guys coming back are natural PFs....Maybe mix in a wing somewhere?

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                        I still feel that DeRozan should go first than Gay. Can you imagine if Gay really deals with his vision issues (there was a report that he had some form of corrective procedure done to his eye). The redundancy moving forward will have to be dealt with. With Gay in the fold, I just can't see DD improving much compared to last year. I'm afraid that if he regresses, we're stuck with him. Gay only has 2 years left anyway. I'd prefer to hold on to him rather than the younger DD.
                        I'd have no problem trading BOTH.

In fact part of me hopes it happens.

Both players are vastly overpaid and limited.

They are from an era where individual pieces were valued and collected rather than building a team.

The Pistons and Bucks are two teams I'd keep an eye on. Both are in no position to lose (Pistons because they have been losing forever and have 2014 pick heading out; Bucks trying to build a new arena with public money and with owner concerned about profits first and foremost).

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          This is kind of weird...only because all the guys coming back are natural PFs....Maybe mix in a wing somewhere?
                          Ersan is a 3/4
                          Bennet is a 3/4
                          Verajao is a 4/5

they are all versatile enough that you could make it work. besides this was more of an example of how you tank (have other teams do it for you) and build at the exact same time.

Comment

Ersan is a 3/4
                            Bennet is a 3/4
                            Verajao is a 4/5

they are all versatile enough that you could make it work. besides this was more of an example of how you tank (have other teams do it for you) and build at the exact same time.
                            Plus Ersan and Bennett can both hit the 3, something none of our current 3/4's can do except for the Albino Assassin Steve Novak of course.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Ersan is a 3/4
                              Bennet is a 3/4
                              Verajao is a 4/5

I'm worried about D more than offensive versatility. Can any of these guys guard a SF full time? My instinct tells me no. I'm just saying. Going after all three of those specific guys is a bit odd.

Comment

Basically I would pick one of Bennett or Ersan to go after....probably never both.

Comment

Working...
                                X