Por-tor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Por-tor

I anticipate backlash for this trade proposal. However, once emotion is cleared, think rationally about this trade and let me know what you think. Portland once had interest in Calderon but not too sure they still do with a new GM.

Trade Option 1:
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=25j5ckc
    (Portland also sends the lesser of NOH 1st round pick or POR 1st round pick 2011)

Portland gains a PG who would be much better suited to a half court offense such as McMillan's, can play without the ball, and can knock down 3's. Maybe Calderon can help get Fernandez playing to his potential as well. Roy - when healthy - has the ball in his hands a lot and Miller cannot knock down the 3. If Evans does not get healthy, this trade would not happen (see trade #2). However, if Evans is healthy, it gives them a PF which they are desparately lacking outside of Cunningham. See POR's depth chart:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/team/depth/_/...-trail-blazers
    Weems gives a cheap back up to Matthews if Roy can't go. The team, while injury ravaged, are still a good team and a shake up is in order, IMO.

Toronto loses Calderon, Evans, and Weems. In Miller the Raptors gain a PG on a team option for next year (not picked up) so it is an expiring contract. Raptors lose Calderon's contract. Evans is an expiring contract as much as that pains many fans and posters here but he won't be back. Weems is showing (in a contract year!) he is unreliable and at times either lazy or stunned or worse yet, both! Toronto has enough mediocre wings.

Miller provides an experienced PG to run the team for the rest of the season and it would be an opportunity to give Bayless more minutes as it appears he could be a big part of the future moving forward.

Oden is a risk - a HUGE gamble. With a four man tandem of Bargnani, Davis, Johnson, and Oden, Oden's minutes could be limited to 25 per night. He would not have the pressure of being a go to scorer. His job - either starting or off the bench - would be to rebound and defend. Extending him a one year qualifying offer of $8.8M would essentially be like trading Calderon for Oden for next season. The Raptors would also have the right to match any contract or they could offer him 2 years at $6M per season. Many are sure to think this is a bad idea - and it could be - but it would be a low risk, high reward proposition for the Raptors. If he can't come back from his surgeries, he is done. However he is only 22 and what if he can recover physically as Amare Stoudemire did? In the same breath he could be Kenyon Martin or Chris Webber as well. Again, it is a gamble. This article raises the idea of maybe it is time both Oden and franchise had a fresh start:
    http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/gol...ith-greg-oden/

Babbitt essentially is a swap for Weems. Babbitt may develop down the road but if Portland is to contend for the playoffs this year, Weems may be a better option given Roy's history and Matthews play in Roy's absence. Also, he was included because the Blazers have 15 players under contract, and including Babbit in the trade moves them under the salary cap. From what I can see they are currently over by about $600K.

Trade #2:
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=2a3ovra

Same principles but Dorsey is included for depth at POR 4 spot. POR also gets $nearly 5M in savings this year plus flexibility going forward.

The key to both trades in my opinion is the inclusion of a 1st round draft pick in 2011. This would give the Raptors 3 1st round picks. They would also still have expring contracts, cap space, and TPE left.

The reason why I like this requires a flash back to 2005 and how Utah acquired Deron Williams:

"Hours before the start of the draft, Utah acquired the 3rd pick from Portland in exchange for the 6th pick, the 27th pick and a 2006 first-round draft pick.[7] Previously, Utah acquired a 2005 first-round draft pick on June 24, 2004 from Dallas in exchange for the draft rights to Pavel Podkolzin.[8] Utah used the 3rd pick to draft Deron Williams and Portland used the 6th and the 27th pick to draft Martell Webster and Linas Kleiza."

Who should the Raptors go after? KYRIE IRVING. This guy is looking like the real deal who is a pedigree with a good head on his shoulders and maturity and leadership well beyond his years. Here is some good reading and video on him:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/column...ana&id=5895452
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...ie-Irving-3591

Personally, I like the trades and the draft pick of course is speculation. But Irving is looking like the real deal.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Dec 8, 2010, 07:21 PM.

i'd do it... it makes us worse this season because we'll lose depth but might increase our draft position and gives us flexibility in the future.

i don't think portland would go for it at all though... it's unfortunate what's happened to them with the injuries, and i think they'll have to start thinking about a rebuild soon because of it. so essentially they give up an expiring here in miller (plus the right to decide what course to take with oden, which they'll have a better idea about by the offseason) to take on jose's salary. also if they have to start thinking about gaining assets for the future then there's no way they'd throw in a pick on top of it (which looks like it'll be in the lottery). i think that's wishful thinking on your part.

conversely, if they think they can still compete for the playoffs this year, i don't think they'd give up miller in that scenario either. he's been one of their best players

Comment

chris wrote: View Post
      i'd do it... it makes us worse this season because we'll lose depth but might increase our draft position and gives us flexibility in the future.

i don't think portland would go for it at all though... it's unfortunate what's happened to them with the injuries, and i think they'll have to start thinking about a rebuild soon because of it. so essentially they give up an expiring here in miller (plus the right to decide what course to take with oden, which they'll have a better idea about by the offseason) to take on jose's salary. also if they have to start thinking about gaining assets for the future then there's no way they'd throw in a pick on top of it (which looks like it'll be in the lottery). i think that's wishful thinking on your part.

conversely, if they think they can still compete for the playoffs this year, i don't think they'd give up miller in that scenario either. he's been one of their best players
      Despite the injuries, I don't see them not making the playoffs. This team has shown to be resilient in the past and I think it continues. A little new blood with a couple of rotational players off the bench might go a long way to helping this team this year.

Miller is a very good player but he can't shoot the 3. In the half court which Portland typically runs, this is a concern. Having to respect a guy like Jose opens more space for Aldridge and penetrators such as Roy and Matthews plus gives more looks to a shooter like Batum.

I think their line up of...

Calderon/Johnson/Mills
      Roy/Weems/Fernandez
      Batum/Matthews
      Aldridge/Evans/Cunningham
      Camby/Pryzbilla/Marks

... would be playoff bound.
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Dec 8, 2010, 07:56 PM.

Comment

so who do you see falling out of it in the west? of the three teams i might consider as candidates (new orleans, denver, and phoenix), the only one i can talk myself into is denver with a 'melo deadline deal... and even then that depends on what denver gets back. they've actually won a lot of their games this year in spite of him, not because of him. and then NO is a completely different team with their focus on defense, and phoenix has proven to be just as resilient as portland in the last few years.

and i know he's a shitty 3 pt shooter which does not fit their style, but he's a good defender (which jose is not) with size for his position, knocks down just about everything else, posts up, distributes... i dunno, i've only seen them twice this year but both games he stood out as by far and away their best player.

despite all that... i mean whether or not they limp in to the playoffs they will totally get crushed by LA/Dallas/SA/Utah, and i think they must know that at this point... which doesn't really change the fact they need to stockpile more assets... which makes it kind of a short-sighted deal on their part, IMO

Comment

i would take a chance at oden but idk kinda hard

Comment

chris wrote: View Post
            so who do you see falling out of it in the west? of the three teams i might consider as candidates (new orleans, denver, and phoenix), the only one i can talk myself into is denver with a 'melo deadline deal... and even then that depends on what denver gets back. they've actually won a lot of their games this year in spite of him, not because of him. and then NO is a completely different team with their focus on defense, and phoenix has proven to be just as resilient as portland in the last few years.

and i know he's a shitty 3 pt shooter which does not fit their style, but he's a good defender (which jose is not) with size for his position, knocks down just about everything else, posts up, distributes... i dunno, i've only seen them twice this year but both games he stood out as by far and away their best player.

despite all that... i mean whether or not they limp in to the playoffs they will totally get crushed by LA/Dallas/SA/Utah, and i think they must know that at this point... which doesn't really change the fact they need to stockpile more assets... which makes it kind of a short-sighted deal on their part, IMO
            Calderon is back to his old self. Miller has been on the block since he was signed and will not be back next year regardless. The trade really comes down to Oden for Calderon and role players/depth in #1 and Oden for Calderon and financial relief in #2.

I'm not sold on NOH or PHO.

As for taking out LA/DAL/UTA/SA, that is why the games are played.

As for blowing the team up, as long as Roy is on the books with his bad knees along with Aldridge, they'll never be able to trade him or do a proper rebuild. Matthews is playing amazing just about every night he plays big minutes and starts. Plus Camby still has a year or two left in the tank and is playing great. I think you underestimate this team due to their slow start and injuries.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Calderon is back to his old self.
              he's playing better but its a pretty small sample size to be making that assertion, i think.

miller was available when he got there because it didn't look like they could co-exist very well initially given that they both needed the ball... then they got better playing together and i never heard his name in trade rumours really after that, but maybe i wasn't paying enough attention.

i'd argue they need miller now more though... portland's entire offense used to be iso's for roy, which they changed a few games into this season because he's been so ineffective at it.

i agree they're fucked trying to do a proper rebuild around roy though... still i think making short-term moves to win a couple more games every year is not the way to go for them. they need to quasi-rebuild... stay flexible with the rest of their contracts and use roy as more of a high priced role-player than the star of the team. and they need to try to find that other star.

i guess we'll agree to disagree, then.

Comment

http://www.hoopsnotes.com/teams/port...r-brandon-roy/

According to this article, the Blazers are having internal discussions about scraping it and trying to go young. This would mean moving Miller, and Pryzbilla...but also apparently Rudy Fernandez.

This seems to validate your trade in some ways (Blazers willing to move Miller), but not in other ways (Blazers seeming willing to scrap it and start a "re-tooling" as BC would call it). I don't think there is any way they take back Reggie, or most likely Calderon. But Weems would probably intrigue them.
                http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Working...
                X