Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now That Jose Remains - Any Chance He Can Return to His 07-08 Form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now That Jose Remains - Any Chance He Can Return to His 07-08 Form?

He had an outstanding season in 07-08.

Here are some of the numbers from that season

GP--------82
    MPG------30.3
    PPG------11.2
    APG-------8.3
    FG%------.519
    FT%------.908
    PER-------20.5
    Off Rat---127
    Def Rat---109
    Net Rat----18
    WS/48----.197
    WS--------10.2

Bosh by comparison in 07-08
    --------------------------------------
    PER-------23.8
    Off Rat---117
    Def Rat---105
    Net Rat----12
    WS/48----.200
    WS--------10.1

Jose advanced stats in 07-08 were excellent and comparable to Bosh's that season. If Jose could return to that form which I believe he can if he can stay uninjured he could have another excellent season in 10-11 like he did in 07-08

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../boshch01.html
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Personally, I think he's gone before the season starts. Jack, Calderon, Barbosa and Banks is too much. They almost just moved him, that's strike one. The next pitch is on the way.

Comment

Jose is still being moved, book that! Im really pissed this deal did not happen. A defensive center is exactly waht we needed.....shit

Comment

I think he can get there if he's put in the right position. He needs to be the only ball handler on the floor and be the guy setting up his teammates. He also, like you said, needs to be 100% healthy. Jose is capable of being a top ten point guard in this league in terms of his ability to make plays and run the offense and I think a lot of people (and I'm one of them) have been down on him because Jack played so well this past season. The thing I think we always forget about Jose is that he's been battling injuries for the last few seasons and if he is finally healthy this coming season, he can be the point guard people are always crying for BC to get. I liked the Chandler and Diaw deal, simply because they are two very strong players who also fit us well and you would be crazy not to take that deal, but I didn't like losing Jose and the more I think about it the more I'd like to see him come back with Barbosa as his back up. That would give us an excellent change of pace substitution.
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I still think he's headed to Charlotte one way or another.

Comment

No way Jose. Jose a goner. THe only problem is that we will never get a deal this good. We should have given them Miami's number one to get this deal down. I for one can't see them spending 9 mill. on jose, 5 mil on jack, 7.5 mil on barbosa and 5 mil on banks. A combined 26.5 million on your point guard position. Talk about ridiculous. Somethings got to give.

Comment

I dont think hes going to be traded one way or another.
              If not to the Bobcats then another team

Comment

Frankthetank wrote: View Post
                No way Jose. Jose a goner. THe only problem is that we will never get a deal this good. We should have given them Miami's number one to get this deal down. I for one can't see them spending 9 mill. on jose, 5 mil on jack, 7.5 mil on barbosa and 5 mil on banks. A combined 26.5 million on your point guard position. Talk about ridiculous. Somethings got to give.
                If thats what the Bobcats wanted then im glad we didnt do it. I want us to keep and obtain more draft picks not tarde them away. It was a great deal for sure, but i would of been pissed off if we gave away a pick

Comment

How can any team spend 26.5 million on the point guard position. Most teams don't spend over 10 million at that position.

Comment

Frankthetank wrote: View Post
                    How can any team spend 26.5 million on the point guard position. Most teams don't spend over 10 million at that position.
                    Let's be clear about this, any team that has less than 10 million invested at the point is going to be incredibly weak at that position. We have two starting Caliber point guards on our roster getting paid a total of about 14 mill, Marcus Banks who expires this season, and Barbosa who is a combo guard who will probably play at the point for us. Our situation at the point could be a lot worse and I think if we can move Jack we'll be in great shape.
                    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Ding dong the salary cap is 58 million and your using up 26 million on one position and his name isn't Kobe Bryant.

Comment

Keeping Jose might work out best for us from a basketball point of view: we've focused on defense in the interior positions; Jose will help us get offense from the same people.

I'd rather see Jack moved ... although from a team point of view, Jack may have a better locker room presence than Calderon does.

And let's give some time to Colangelo to work.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                          Let's be clear about this, any team that has less than 10 million invested at the point is going to be incredibly weak at that position. We have two starting Caliber point guards on our roster getting paid a total of about 14 mill, Marcus Banks who expires this season, and Barbosa who is a combo guard who will probably play at the point for us. Our situation at the point could be a lot worse and I think if we can move Jack we'll be in great shape.
                          I would argue that the raptors have the worst point guard situation in the league or for any position in the NBA at that matter. They are paying four guys to play point, two are backups being paid starter money, two can't even play the point and none of the four are above average starters in the NBA.

Lets cut this whole Jose might regain his form debate. It has been over two years since he was bringing more than he was taking off the table and the whole hamstring issue is simply covering up the fact that he lost the only step he ever had. Jose is a world class back up point guard who is being forced into starters minutes because of the money he is being paid.

On the right team with the right defensive player's maybe he can shine again as a starter, but that team is not the Toronto Raptors, nor has it been for quite some time.

Personally I hope only Jack is left from this glut and while he is a serviceable starter, he is not the ideal guy to have running the young gunz. Either way they need a definitive starter because the platoon thing looks great no paper, but only causes problems in the locker room. I don't care how deferential each guy is, the platoon already ran one guy out of town and was causing more problems during last years implosion.

Comment

Jose is still gone....who knows maybe we'll get an even better deal. Mj is Isiah 2.0!

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
                              I would argue that the raptors have the worst point guard situation in the league or for any position in the NBA at that matter. They are paying four guys to play point, two are backups being paid starter money, two can't even play the point and none of the four are above average starters in the NBA.

Lets cut this whole Jose might regain his form debate. It has been over two years since he was bringing more than he was taking off the table and the whole hamstring issue is simply covering up the fact that he lost the only step he ever had. Jose is a world class back up point guard who is being forced into starters minutes because of the money he is being paid.

On the right team with the right defensive player's maybe he can shine again as a starter, but that team is not the Toronto Raptors, nor has it been for quite some time.

Personally I hope only Jack is left from this glut and while he is a serviceable starter, he is not the ideal guy to have running the young gunz. Either way they need a definitive starter because the platoon thing looks great no paper, but only causes problems in the locker room. I don't care how deferential each guy is, the platoon already ran one guy out of town and was causing more problems during last years implosion.
                              Serously? Worst positions in the league? We have two very good point guards, one of which is going to be moved before the summer is over. We have Marcus Banks, who is better than he is given credit for and is coming off the books next season and is therefore a trade asset. Next season our PG spot will look like:
                              Jose/Barbosa/Banks for a salary total of 22 million ish or at 17 if we keep Jack instead. By the end of next season it will be at 17 million (or 12 million).

Jose is a starting caliber point guard on a good defensive team. He has not averaged less than 8 assists per 36 in the last four years and he is injured significantly less then the NBA's golden boy, Chris Paul who misses and average of 13 games a season. If you tell him he is going to start and give him consistent minutes he will play at a high level. He is also loyal to this franchise, which is something you can't measure with stats. I mean, statistically, he is among the best point guards in the league and there is no reason he won't get back to his former efficiency.

I agree they need to choose a starter, and I am in no way advocating keeping both Jose and Jack. Jose is the better point guard of the two of them and now that we are getting some good defender in our front court I think it will be easier to hide him on defense. Plus if Barbosa is our other guard, it would be better to have him come in for Jose since that would allow more of a change of pace than if he is backing up Jack.

-Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X