Raptors Ink Amir Johnson To A Five-year, $34 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suuweeet!

The Young Gunz will remain intact! I'm headed to Centre Sports to get my jersey now.

A few mil more prolly than what he's worth, but def a good move by BC locking him up fast. He's only going to get better with time, more mins so it's all good.

Comment

Amir Johnson was one the most productive players on the raptors last year, showing great hustle and desire despite his limited/developing skills.

However, this is a TERRIBLE deal for the raptors. The skills Johnson provides are the most replacable ones in the league and we grossly overpaid. BC keeps screwing around with our cap by overpaying players and then people wonder why we cant compete for free agents or properly rebuild.

Especially in the stage we are in (rebuilding if bosh goes), this deal is everything BC should not do.

Comment

Wow talking about overpaying for an unproven talent.

I like Amir but man this was an expensive contract.

I hope they have somewhere to ship Reggie Evans to lessen the blow (Turkoglu would help alot more but nobody wants him heh).

Amir went where the money went, nothing to do with preference for the Raptors.
        Last edited by Hotshot; Thu Jul 1, 2010, 10:40 PM.

Comment

good signing just dont like the figures at all........ a shade under 7 mill for amir? come on im sure BC could of gotten ALOT cheaper i would think 5.5 mill MAX

Comment

dino gunners wrote: View Post
            Amir Johnson was one the most productive players on the raptors last year, showing great hustle and desire despite his limited/developing skills.

However, this is a TERRIBLE deal for the raptors. The skills Johnson provides are the most replacable ones in the league and we grossly overpaid. BC keeps screwing around with our cap by overpaying players and then people wonder why we cant compete for free agents or properly rebuild.

Especially in the stage we are in (rebuilding if bosh goes), this deal is everything BC should not do.
            Rebounding and hustle in a player that is also extremely efficient on the offensive end are NOT easily replaceable skills. They are actually difficult skills to find and contribute to wins more than someone who is just a scorer. His lack of scoring is probably his biggest weakness, but there are plenty of players on the team that can score. Of all the deals Colangelo has signed, this one and Jacks are easily the best.

Amir is the type of player that the Raptors need to get more of. Players who hustle, play defense and have the intangibles that help a team win.

I do find it incredibly ironic, however, that on the same day Drew Gooden is signed by Milwaukee, Amir signs with the Raptors. If Milwaukee doesn't regret letting Amir go, they should. I'd much rather have Amir on my team than Gooden, who was signed for only slightly less money.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

This is what I feared. Don't get me wrong, I like Amir, and I didn't actually think we'd get him back for $4 mil per, but I was hoping for no more than $5 mil per. That said, it's less than $2 mil more per year, and it can be argued that overpaying to keep him is better than losing him. It would just have gone down a little smoother if it was a little cheaper, and I wonder if he would have signed anyway for $29 over 5 years. If you're going to rebuild, you might as well do it the right way; every bit counts down the road.

Of course, I have a feeling this move indicates we will be retooling rather than rebuilding. Hopefully anything we do in days to come won't clog up our future cap too much and Amir continues to get better as an all-around player, or this could be JYD 2.0, especially with the new CBA.

Comment

Good, they got that one out of the way.
                That is how you build a team. You keep the good apples,
                and you throw away the rotten ones.
                BTW, the penny-pinchers out there can look at what Atlanta is paying Joe to stick around

Comment

classic BC overpaying again. It seems that BC does not have a sense of market value for players or has bad negotiating skills. i just hope rap fans don`t boo Amir if he does not live up to his contract. The guy is the kind we need for this team.happy about the deal though but the price was on the high side.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    Rebounding and hustle in a player that is also extremely efficient on the offensive end are NOT easily replaceable skills. They are actually difficult skills to find and contribute to wins more than someone who is just a scorer.
                    Well said. There are three parts to this game and so many think its all about scoring.
                    If Amir scored 16ppg, yet opponent's blew by him and he had 4 turnovers a game, many would say "great deal!". Ug.
                    http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                      This is what I feared. Don't get me wrong, I like Amir, and I didn't actually think we'd get him back for $4 mil per, but I was hoping for no more than $5 mil per. That said, it's less than $2 mil more per year, and it can be argued that overpaying to keep him is better than losing him. It would just have gone down a little smoother if it was a little cheaper, and I wonder if he would have signed anyway for $29 over 5 years. If you're going to rebuild, you might as well do it the right way; every bit counts down the road.

Of course, I have a feeling this move indicates we will be retooling rather than rebuilding. Hopefully anything we do in days to come won't clog up our future cap too much and Amir continues to get better as an all-around player, or this could be JYD 2.0, especially with the new CBA.

Amir contract wouldn't as bad or hurt as much if it weren't for the other vastly overpayed players the Raptors have on their roster:

Hedo
                      Calderon
                      R.Evans
                      Banks

Comment

Did we use the MLE to re-sign Amir?

Comment

IceeeD wrote: View Post
                          Did we use the MLE to re-sign Amir?
                          It is not an MLE deal, it is a 5 year contract which is likely a full contract situation.

Comment

dn66 wrote: View Post
                            Good, they got that one out of the way.
                            That is how you build a team. You keep the good apples,
                            and you throw away the rotten ones.
                            BTW, the penny-pinchers out there can look at what Atlanta is paying Joe to stick around
                            If we all followed what other teams did, then with all the Kahns and other whack jobs around, it'd be a league full of moves that don't make sense. IMO (as little as it may mean), Joe Johnson was definitely overpaid (as was Rudy Gay), but at least Atlanta is a contender and the money was used to keep a top player. For a middling team like ours, we need to manage our cap space wisely.

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
                              It is not an MLE deal, it is a 5 year contract which is likely a full contract situation.
                              A MLE deal can be up to 5 years, and the amount does seem to match.

What I'm actually a bit confused about is whether the Raptors have Amir's full Bird rights. For a team to gain full Bird rights, that player needs to have played for the same team for THREE consecutive seasons without being a free agent or being waived. Examples illustrate this being done with 2 full seasons and a half season before being traded, which lead me to now think we don't have his full Bird rights. We either have his Early Bird rights (I don't know of Early Bird rights follow the player the same was full Bird rights do), which does seem to work as well, or we just used our MLE on Amir (Bosh's cap hold puts us over the cap).

Larry Bird Exception - max salary limited by years of service, 10.5% raises, 6 years max
                              Early Bird Exception - max salary of either 175% of previous salary or just the average player salary, 10.5% raises, 5 years max
                              Mid Level Exception - max salary of the average player salary, 8% raises, 5 years max

As you can see both the MLE and the Early Bird are pretty similar.
                              Last edited by Quixotic; Thu Jul 1, 2010, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                                A MLE deal can be up to 5 years, and the amount does seem to match.

What I'm actually a bit confused about is whether the Raptors have Amir's full Bird rights. For a team to gain full Bird rights, that player needs to have played for the same team for THREE consecutive seasons without being a free agent or being waived. Examples illustrate this being done with 2 full seasons and a half season before being traded, which lead me to now think we don't have his full Bird rights. We either have his Early Bird rights (I don't know of Early Bird rights follow the player the same was full Bird rights do), which does seem to work as well, or we just used our MLE on Amir (Bosh's cap hold puts us over the cap).

Larry Bird Exception - max salary limited by years of service, 10.5% raises, 6 years max
                                Early Bird Exception - max salary of either 175% of previous salary or just the average player salary, 10.5% raises, 5 years max
                                Mid Level Exception - max salary of the average player salary, 8% raises, 5 years max

As you can see both the MLE and the Early Bird are pretty similar.
                                Amir is coming off a 3 year contract after spending his first two with the Piston, and his Bird Rights would have been transferred when he was traded. The Raptors would not have had to use the MLE to sign Amir.

smushmush wrote: View Post
                                classic BC overpaying again. It seems that BC does not have a sense of market value for players or has bad negotiating skills. i just hope rap fans don`t boo Amir if he does not live up to his contract. The guy is the kind we need for this team.happy about the deal though but the price was on the high side.
                                Drew Gooden signed with Milwaukee for only slightly less, and Amir is a much better player. I'd say, the way the signings are going, Colangelo got Amir for market value. I was hoping for a 3 year $15 million deal, but you can't negotiate in a vacuum.
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X