Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jose Calderon: our PG of the future? Calderon impressed Casey (63)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IROR wrote: View Post
    ...He is 30 and at his ceiling, and therefore he can't be considered a PG for the future...
    No reason he can't stay at his ceiling for another 3-4 years. The question with trading, amnestying or otherwise getting rid of Calderon has always been, who do you get that is better?

Jose has consistently been the best PG the Raps have had, as long as he has been here, which is why he is still here and the others are not. Now he is right back to his top numbers. Clearly his less than stellar periods were the result of injury. The Raps have improved their trainers/strength coach positions. Calderon has a better idea of what he can and can't do and better understands how he has to look after himself. By all means draft another PG or acquire one in trade, but why get rid of Calderon until you find something at least as good as him at PG?

Comment

I have been a huge fan of Jose for years, and I also would love to see him retire as a raptor. A key for Jose over the next few years is that he needs his rest in the off season. He should reduce or minimize his committment to the national team if he wishes to maximize his potential with the Raptors. You can see how much the rest has helped him this year so far.

Comment

IROR wrote: View Post
        He is playing great, but can you see him maintaining this level throughout the season? Let alone for 2-3 years, when the Raptors intend to be a playoff team? I would say, at this point in the Raptors rebuild, if BC can get a good return on him via trade, do it. He is 30 and at his ceiling, and therefore he can't be considered a PG for the future.

If the Raps are truly struggling at the trade deadline I don't see why BC wouldn't try to get a return on him, in order to get in line for a top five draft pick. But would he garner more value in return next year on his expiring deal?? Tough call for BC
        I think you have to trade him if you can get anything half decent in return. Has the dual benefit of a) hopefully getting a younger player / 2nd round draft pick and b) putting us in better shape for a better pick next year (and maybe even c) giving us more financial flexibility).

Is it going to suck having to watch Bayless or whatever other young, yet inferior PG we get back for him? Absolutely. But given his injury past, there is no way that anyone can say with confidence that he will be healthy at the end of this year, let alone 2-3 years from now? I can not.

We have to remember, that this is a guy people were talking about amnesty-ing a few weeks back. If we can get anything for him now, I think we have to do it (as short term painful as it will be)

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
          I think you have to trade him if you can get anything half decent in return. Has the dual benefit of a) hopefully getting a younger player / 2nd round draft pick and b) putting us in better shape for a better pick next year (and maybe even c) giving us more financial flexibility).

Is it going to suck having to watch Bayless or whatever other young, yet inferior PG we get back for him? Absolutely. But given his injury past, there is no way that anyone can say with confidence that he will be healthy at the end of this year, let alone 2-3 years from now? I can not.

We have to remember, that this is a guy people were talking about amnesty-ing a few weeks back. If we can get anything for him now, I think we have to do it (as short term painful as it will be)
          His injury history and desire to continue representing Spain in the summer (ie. no rest) is what always keeps me nervous about him.

With that said, I'd be looking for more than a 2nd round pick or young prospect.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            ED and a future 1st (possibly with protections).
            and/or Amir and/or Barbosa (expiring this year) + cash to a contender for a late 1st round pick + expiring next year. Many ways to get a deal done.

We really need to get another late first round pick this year. Does anybody know if we get Miami's pick again this year? I thought we got 2 picks from the Bosh deal, or maybe I'm mistaken. Hindsight I know, but I would love to re-do the James Johnson trade and have that 2010 1st round pick, Norris Cole, as our PG-in-waiting. Damn Pat Riley.

Comment

Trade Bayless and our 2nd round pick to a desperate lottery team in need of a backup point guard for a 1st rounder. Milwaukee maybe.
              NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Thats a good idea don't know if they'll do it though, if we include some cash or another 2nd round pick it might work

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                  Trade Bayless and our 2nd round pick to a desperate lottery team in need of a backup point guard for a 1st rounder. Milwaukee maybe.
                  Wouldn't a lottery team just keep their own pick and draft a PG better than Bayless? You're talking about a top 15 pick in a strong draft with talented frontcourt players who will get picked first.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    Wouldn't a lottery team just keep their own pick and draft a PG better than Bayless? You're talking about a top 15 pick in a strong draft with talented frontcourt players who will get picked first.
                    Did you see what Sacramento,Milwaukee,Charlotte did last draft when BK was still on board. Desperate teams, calls for draft day steals.
                    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

I said "keep Calderon" back in January, and I still think we should keep him. I will say that if we have a serious shot at Deron Williams in the summer, I'd consider that in order to get younger. If we land a solid SF prospect in the draft and then sign a significant free agent, though, we might be setting ourselves up for cap constraints when our rookie contracts start expiring. We'll have to pay 2-3 of DeRozan, Valanciunas, Ed Davis, and our 2012 pick eventually... and that will be harder to do if we sign a pricey free agent like Deron Williams to a long contract this summer.

The advantage of re-signing Calderon in this scenario would be that his new, reduced contract will kick in in 2013-14 -- the year of DeRozan's QO -- and either stay fairly stable like Kleiza's contract or even drop in cost over its duration.

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                        Did you see what Sacramento,Milwaukee,Charlotte did last draft when BK was still on board. Desperate teams, calls for draft day steals.
                        But that's in weak draft year - you trade for talent. In a strong draft year, you keep your pick. Look at the 2003 Draft (Lebron, Wade, CB4, etc...) for example. I don't recall any of the top 10 teams doing any draft day deals.

Comment

Jose was getting destroyed by D will and morrow, i definitely would not like him to be our pg of the future.

Comment

The way i see it the raps aren't too far off from contending. If i was BC, id package barbosa and a protected 2013 draft pick and a second rounder or cash at the deadline for a second draft pick for 2012. Prolly with a "win-now" team that needs scoring off the bench.

Id like to draft barnes depending on where we end up at the end of this season, but its obvious our biggest need is a wing. Id use the second pick on kybongo.

this offseason id sign nash to a 2-3 yr contract, 8-9mil/yr which is more than fair considering his age. He's said he'd play in toronto.

Furthermore, id sign oj mayo as a free agent for 6-7mil/yr over 2 yrs to back demar.

With valencius in the fold and a pg duo of nash/calderon running the team, we'd be a contending team esp the second unit. Kybongo would learn from the best and provide insurance for any injuries to nash/calderon.

PG - nash/calderon/kybongo
                            SG - derozan/mayo/scrub
                            SF - barnes/j. johnson/ kleiza ( if not amnestied..but i wouldnt for jonas' sake)
                            PF - bargnani/davis
                            C - valenciunus/a. johnson/maglore

Roster would total roughly 70-78 mil..7-8th overall in the nba.

Lets not forget the canadian factor this would bring to the team as well

Comment

And for those with concerns with kybongos shooting, thats an easy fix for what he provides as a playmaker. I think this roster would make us instant contenders and sets us up for the future. Hopefully wed grt a ring with nash(what a story that would be) and hed soon retire. Even after next yr id keep jose on a MODEST 4yr contract 5-7mil/yr MAX, he deserves it IMO.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                                Jose was getting destroyed by D will and morrow, i definitely would not like him to be our pg of the future.
                                You may have noticed the way members of this board have been salivating over the chances of getting Williams in free agency. That is because he makes a practice of destroying PG's who try and guard him. Jose has been just fine guarding his opponents in 4 of the 5 teams he has faced so far.

I'm thinking watch how he does for another 15 - 20 games before tossing him under the bus. So far, on the Raps, I rank him best of the 4 total players they have who can play a little PG (AC, Bayless and Barbosa) and would take him over any of the PGs from their opponents so far (aside from DW).

Comment

Working...
                                X