Lowry on the Block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Been thinking about the Lowry 'situation' today.

A big part of this falls on Casey. Last year and this year he has been all about shooters and "I need shooters" and "Get me shooters." His offense is based around a PG who delivers the ball to stationary or curling shooters. Think about all the games this year when the jump shots fail to fall. The first 30 games of the year all featured a significant stretch of time within games where the Raptors couldn't score because the jump shot wouldn't fall.... and that was all they had - sets for jump shots.

It is great Casey has his system and what he thinks best. But the job of a coach is to maximize his talent. I think he has failed at integrating Lowry in to his game plan. The desire was for more talent last season, well, Lowry is definitely a talent upgrade.

And then yet again this all comes back to Colangelo and his inability to set course on a plan. Sure he went out and got talent in Lowry but it seems clear he didn't consider what Casey is trying to do on the offensive side of the ball. I think the defensive side factored in to the thinking but unfortunately Lowry has left his D-bag in Houston. *yes, I realize the can of jokes I have just opened up*
    I think you've stretched your imagination of why our team was failing and why we were taking jumpshots. I think that we have lacked inside presence, as we have no true post player who we can feed. I think that a 'motion' offense is important, and I think that having people move a lot allows for more freedom around the perimeters. This allows for more open jumpshots, which mean more jumpshots get attempted.
    I think once JV gets more comfortable in the post, you will see a more balance in-out game with Casey's system.

I do agree that Casey has struggled to bring Lowry off the bench effectively, I think Calderons amazing play has deterred him from playing Lowry in consistent minutes. I think this has affected how Lowry plays when he is playing.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Lowry is doing better off the bench than Jose did. For some reason it's a tough role. I won't pass judgment until he starts again

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
        I think you've stretched your imagination of why our team was failing and why we were taking jumpshots. I think that we have lacked inside presence, as we have no true post player who we can feed. I think that a 'motion' offense is important, and I think that having people move a lot allows for more freedom around the perimeters. This allows for more open jumpshots, which mean more jumpshots get attempted.
        I think once JV gets more comfortable in the post, you will see a more balance in-out game with Casey's system.

I do agree that Casey has struggled to bring Lowry off the bench effectively, I think Calderons amazing play has deterred him from playing Lowry in consistent minutes. I think this has affected how Lowry plays when he is playing.
        The Raps were taking jump shots because no one can break down their man and get their own shot off the dribble. Full stop. Period.

Watch the games. Guys run side to side or curl around screens to get open at which point the PG delivers pin point passes for the split second they will be open to shoot. There is very little attacking the basket - which use to be a strength of Lowry.

Comment

I think the whole Calderon being better than Lowry as a PG is an unfair asessment Lowry has been a Rap for 3 months of legit NBA competition games. Calderon has been a Rap for what is it now? 8 years? 7? he knows everyone on the team has a year in the new system already under his belt so chemistry is riding very high.

Make no mistake about it Lowry is the better PG for the direction the team wants to take still figuring out his teammates sweetspots its an ongoing thing and for a guy we literally just got and said "heres the keys go drive the team" hes doing pretty good for a guy who literally just turn the ignition for the first time.

Comment

Word is management is split on Lowry/Calderon. However it turns out, I hope BC gets fired.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

jose,ross,ed davis, valanciunas,casey,bargnani are all system guys. we should be extremely open to trading both lowry and derozan, if it makes us better in the future in terms of prospects.....

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                Word is management is split on Lowry/Calderon. However it turns out, I hope BC gets fired.
                I said this somewhere else but my take on that is Colangelo is all about Lowry and Casey wants to roll with Calderon.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                  jose,ross,ed davis, valanciunas,casey,bargnani are all system guys. we should be extremely open to trading both lowry and derozan, if it makes us better in the future in terms of prospects.....
                  I am more than open to trading DeRozan but he is probably the biggest system guy of them all due to lack of dribble and 3pt shot.

Comment

I am more than open to trading DeRozan but he is probably the biggest system guy of them all due to lack of dribble and 3pt shot.
                    Why was management (BC) so eager to sign him again? He could have been a major trade asset on a rookie scale right?
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I said this somewhere else but my take on that is Colangelo is all about Lowry and Casey wants to roll with Calderon.
                      Thinking and going with Calderon is so short term. Lowry was acquired through a first round pick. Now, everyone is talking as if the guy is a cancer and he's only been on the job for 4 months.
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                        Thinking and going with Calderon is so short term. Lowry was acquired through a first round pick. Now, everyone is talking as if the guy is a cancer and he's only been on the job for 4 months.
                        Something is not right with him. We can all speculate but really only he, the coaching staff, and teammates know. I feel like the Raptors have broken him. The swagger and confidence this team desperately lacked and he had in abundance is gone. F*ck.

Comment

They traded a lottery 1st round pick for this guy? ugh. Brutal.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Something is not right with him. We can all speculate but really only he, the coaching staff, and teammates know. I feel like the Raptors have broken him. The swagger and confidence this team desperately lacked and he had in abundance is gone. F*ck.
                            Seriously there isnt anything to lose START LOWRY he came here to be the new pont guard its like the Raps just spit in his face Great player highly underutilized.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                              Seriously there isnt anything to lose START LOWRY he came here to be the new pont guard its like the Raps just spit in his face Great player highly underutilized.
                              Great player? what has he accomplish? he was a backup in Memphis. Lost the starting job to Dragic in Houston last year. Lost the starting job to Calderon this year.

See the trend? maybe he's not a starting PG in this league.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                                Great player? what has he accomplish? he was a backup in Memphis. Lost the starting job to Dragic in Houston last year. Lost the starting job to Calderon this year.

See the trend? maybe he's not a starting PG in this league.
                                He started the majority of games leading Houston to 2 seasons of plus .500 ball in the West. It isn't much but certainly much more success than Toronto has had the last 5 seasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X