Giannis Adetokunbo 6-9 Greek Freak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giannis Adetokunbo 6-9 Greek Freak

According to Sheridanhoops.com BC attended a Junior tournament in Greece to watch Giannis and he did not dissapoint. The guy is freaky Athletic at 6-9 and a 7-3 wingspan and he has grown 3 inches over the last 3 months. I know we don't have a pick this year but if there was any way we could trade into the 20s and get him I would be for it

Give it a watch pretty cool stuff.

and yes I'm aware the competition he faces in the video is pretty weak...

Comment

Thank you Bryan Colangelo for trading that 1st round pick for Kyle Lowry
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
        Thank you Bryan Colangelo for trading that 1st round pick for Kyle Lowry
        Once you these rookies play next year. Your take that back.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

JackfromNZ wrote: View Post
          and yes I'm aware the competition he faces in the video is pretty weak...
          He's a tough on to gauge. I honestly have a hard time seeing him have an impact if he's drafted in the first round and brought over immediately. He has never played against a high level of competition. So, he seems like the ideal draft and stash pick, which bumps him automatically into the 2nd round. This makes it easier to acquire a pick that could potentially land him, but also less likely he'll still be around, because it's hard to believe he would last very long in the 2nd round. I'd be quite surprised if a team takes him in the first round though.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            He's a tough on to gauge. I honestly have a hard time seeing him have an impact if he's drafted in the first round and brought over immediately. He has never played against a high level of competition. So, he seems like the ideal draft and stash pick, which bumps him automatically into the 2nd round. This makes it easier to acquire a pick that could potentially land him, but also less likely he'll still be around, because it's hard to believe he would last very long in the 2nd round. I'd be quite surprised if a team takes him in the first round though.
            A stash job doesn't immediately put him in the secound round. Some of the better teams might take him at the second half of the first round and just see how he develops in the CBA.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
              A stash job doesn't immediately put him in the secound round. Some of the better teams might take him at the second half of the first round and just see how he develops in the CBA.
              You mean D-League?

I know it doesn't necesarily mean 2nd round, but again, he's NEVER played against adult competition. Draft someone in the 1st round so they can spend 2-3 years in the D-League? I'm not sure that's the best route. Frankly, for skills development, I would trust a top tier European league more. 1 or 2 years playing for Olympiacos or Panathinaikos would be much much better IMO. A team could easily draft him in the 1st, but I don't think that's a good decision compared to the alternative.

*Add the knew frugality in decisions as teams are trying to avoid the tax, and it's extra reason for a team not to pay guaranteed money to an obvious project.

Comment

You mean D-League?

I know it doesn't necesarily mean 2nd round, but again, he's NEVER played against adult competition. Draft someone in the 1st round so they can spend 2-3 years in the D-League? I'm not sure that's the best route. Frankly, for skills development, I would trust a top tier European league more. 1 or 2 years playing for Olympiacos or Panathinaikos would be much much better IMO. A team could easily draft him in the 1st, but I don't think that's a good decision compared to the alternative.

*Add the knew frugality in decisions as teams are trying to avoid the tax, and it's extra reason for a team not to pay guaranteed money to an obvious project.
                I meant ACB, sorry. The Bulls drafted Mirotic in the first round and he's still over there. Keeping him there prevents a team from adding salary by drafting a rookie they don't play and later on they can either get him over of use him as a trade asset.

Comment

I meant ACB, sorry. The Bulls drafted Mirotic in the first round and he's still over there. Keeping him there prevents a team from adding salary by drafting a rookie they don't play and later on they can either get him over of use him as a trade asset.
                  I stand corrected. Still, from a scouting perspective, Mirotic had played a season against men. Like I said, I think Giannis is really hard to gauge in terms of where he'll be drafted. It seems obvious he wouldn't come over right away, but he has so much intrigue surrounding him. I could see him being drafted in the late teens, or I could see him fall all the way to the 40s.

Comment

It really is a good option for teams.

You have a player develop off your payroll and when they mature more then come in to the league on a cap friendly contract.

It is a win-win.... unless we are talking about Fran Vasquez.

Comment

I stand corrected. Still, from a scouting perspective, Mirotic had played a season against men. Like I said, I think Giannis is really hard to gauge in terms of where he'll be drafted. It seems obvious he wouldn't come over right away, but he has so much intrigue surrounding him. I could see him being drafted in the late teens, or I could see him fall all the way to the 40s.
                      It is said that he has a affordable buy out, now if he hadn't, a talent like him would be more likely to drop to the second round (like Pekovic) because teams can pay those players more when they come over making it possible to subsidize the buy out.

Comment

Not related to this player in particular, but: I think that the picks right at the end of the first round are much better choices for "stash" picks, and in fact are among the most undervalued assets in basketball. Why? First round draft picks get rookie scale contracts mandated by the league: two years guaranteed, then two years of team options. Second round picks you have to negotiate with, but usually get 2 year deals near the minimum. That means that if they blossom into good players, you have to pay them starting in year 3. The rookie scale for end-of-the-1st-round picks is right around the minimum as well, but you get 'em for 4 years for nothing if you want, or you can drop 'em after two if they don't pan out. It's a win-win.

Comment

Not to state the obvious BUT if BC is looking at this kid so is everyone else. That will drive up the price of any draft pick he tries to buy to get him. Also, this kid has some serious immigration issues. You thought that Persian guy the Raps traded for was an issue. Kid has citizenship nowhere. Because of how talented he and his brothers are it looks like the Greek government may help on that side of things...but there are a lot of hurdles for a pick they'll have to purchase, just to stash. Not saying he shouldn't do it. Just don't get your hopes up.

Also, a wise poster a few months back asked when was the last time BC targeted a player and moved up, down, or into the draft to get said player. Colangelo usually does nothing and takes what falls to him.

Comment

Yeah they are Masai Ujiri GM of the Nuggets is also looking at him and i'm sure other GM's will be

Comment

JackfromNZ wrote: View Post
                              Yeah they are Masai Ujiri GM of the Nuggets is also looking at him and i'm sure other GM's will be
                              The kid's parent are from Nigeria. Masai may be the one trying to sell Colangelo on the kid. Masai always appears to have 2 goals: 1. Get NBA experience/contracts for African kids. 2. Win.

You never know which one he is doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X