Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the hockey lockout be good news for the Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I never understood this argument. It can be said about ALL sports. How many soccer games end in a draw? How many football games come down to a 2-minute drill? How many hockey games are decided in sudden death?

Pure ignorance by the puck heads.
    It is about the way some puck heads identify with their sport and it's culture and their perception that hockey is a "Canadian" sport and that it is faster, tougher, and superior to any other winter sport.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
      ...their perception that ... it is faster, tougher, and superior to any other winter sport.
      Tougher and faster than nude sumo wrestling in the snow? I don't think so.

Comment

I grew up a hockey fan and player. I was taught to believe that basketball as not as good of a sport as hockey. Mostly because it's more or less impossible for a person that doesn't understand the game well to pick up on what things are fouls and what are not. As a hockey person, I was like, "so they can't touch each other at all?" It was confusing.

I became a basketball fan through watching the basketball team from my high school, which was composed mostly of my friends. I became much more clear on the rules and strategy at this time. By the time high school was over, I had quit playing organized hockey. For the duration of my later high school and university years, I was equal hockey and basketball fan.

Then the hockey lockout happened in 2005-06 and all I had was basketball. I became a much more hardcore Raps fan and never looked back. The NBA lockout last year didn't have the same effect. I just waited for the season to start was didn't even remember the lockout by the new year. I didn't even watch a hockey game last year until the playoffs (this was likely aided by the fact that my team, the Canadiens, we a fucking atrocity this year). The potential for more lost NHL games this season doesn't even register a blip for me.

Based on my personal experience, I think the Raps could gain a few hardcore fans (like me) if hockey goes away from the entire year. But the more likely scenario is that hockey is back before the new year and most fans will just wait it out like we did last season. Not much of an impact.

And really, if Leafs fans were going to jump ship then 1) It would have happened by now; and 2) They would definitely need to get away from MLSE.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
          Tougher and faster than nude sumo wrestling in the snow? I don't think so.
          lol .....what about nude super model short track speed skating?

Comment

lol .....what about nude super model short track speed skating?
            That would be a hard sport.

:-)

Comment

I think the Raps making the playoffs will have more of an impact on gaining new fans than a lack of hockey on TV.

Comment

Katman wrote: View Post
                I think the Raps making the playoffs will have more of an impact on gaining new fans than a lack of hockey on TV.
                Totally agree.

Comment

I predict that the NHL season will commence around Dec. 1 with 50/50 deal on revenue sharing.

Comment

It is about the way some puck heads identify with their sport and it's culture and their perception that hockey is a "Canadian" sport and that it is faster, tougher, and superior to any other winter sport.
                    The other sad thing that many people wont openly admit to, but I've encountered living in Oshawa, is that Hockey remains (on the player and fan ends) a mainly white guy sport. Basketball is perceived as a more inner city/black and to an extent, European white guy game. Many of the hardcore hockey guys Ive encountered cant get into it for that reason. This goes both ways. I've heard lots of guys on basketball sites hate on the Raptors for getting too European for instance. I've been really pleasantly surprised to look at a crowd at a Raptors game and see a great variety of people and cultures embracing the team and the game. My big hope is that MLSE has the incentive from the lack of hockey, to put more of an effort into helping management put a team together down the road, that is more capable of contending for and in the playoffs than it might have otherwise. Fingers crossed.

Comment

As a puck head myself (although i grew up playing baseball as my summer sport) hockey fans will just gravitate to whoever else is playing hockey, such as the AHL's Toronto Marlies, OHL's St. Michael's Majors and the Oshawa Generals. Even U of T, Ryerson University, University of Ontario, and York University should get a spike in there OUA/CIS attendance figures. Leafs fans however didn't notice how much money they saved during the last lockout and will most likely be oblivious to it this time around. As for TSN lets just put it this way I get WAY MORE hockey news FASTER from them than I do from NHL.com. They won't give it up. The Score might provide more basketball coverage though.

Comment

KaioKev wrote: View Post
                        As a puck head myself (although i grew up playing baseball as my summer sport) hockey fans will just gravitate to whoever else is playing hockey, such as the AHL's Toronto Marlies, OHL's St. Michael's Majors and the Oshawa Generals. Even U of T, Ryerson University, University of Ontario, and York University should get a spike in there OUA/CIS attendance figures. Leafs fans however didn't notice how much money they saved during the last lockout and will most likely be oblivious to it this time around. As for TSN lets just put it this way I get WAY MORE hockey news FASTER from them than I do from NHL.com. They won't give it up. The Score might provide more basketball coverage though.
                        The Score will always be the best for ball news. TSN and Sportsnet have got the puck down.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                          The Score will always be the best for ball news. TSN and Sportsnet have got the puck down.
                          +1 and courtsurfing is the best thing to happen to Canadian basketball since James Naismith. But I've always found sports net does a lot more baseball than hockey. Atleast until the baseball season is over,

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                            +1 and courtsurfing is the best thing to happen to Canadian basketball since James Naismith. But I've always found sports net does a lot more baseball than hockey. Atleast until the baseball season is over,
                            Its true and thats because Rogers owns both the Jays and Sportsnet.

Comment

KaioKev wrote: View Post
                              Its true and thats because Rogers owns both the Jays and Sportsnet.
                              And because baseball season takes place during hockey/basketball's offseason

Comment

Actually I think if anything, the NHL lockout benefits the Toronto Marlies more than the Toronto Raptors. I think the real hardcore hockey fans are just hockey fans. And the real hardcore basketball fans are basketball fans.

It's also tough to gauge because generally speaking people who take the time to peruse forums are usually hardcore sports fans in general. People here (not all of you) likely follow several sports at once. Another thing is that people in forums tend to be highly opinionated and have particular tastes for sports. I for one am a huge NFL fan but have absolutely no interest in CFL. Nor baseball for that matter. If the NFL had been locked out the chances of me tuning into a Blue Jays or Argos game would still remain at 0%.
                                your pal,
                                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                                X