Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Does Jose Calderon Rank In Raptors' History At The Point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heinz57 wrote: View Post
    losing seasons are more bearable when your starting point guard is holding together his body from falling apart with will power alone.
    Well... if you put it THAT way... it's definitely exciting watching such a feat. Will he or won't he fall apart? FOCUS! =P

Comment

Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose! Jose, Jose!
      Mark Jackson ran the show as well as anyone else, but his impact (in terms of time) was so short.

Jose-Alvin-Damon-Jackson-T.J.-Bogues-Jack
      The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        Calderon got two teams to the playoffs but he was a back-up in 06-07 and most of the next season, plus the team never won a series.
        It's been a common misconception that Jose played well only as a back-up. I'm not saying it's your fault, just that I've heard it repeated so many times, and it's probably why you think it to be true. He was actually the starter for most of 2007-2008, and the only reason he didn't get even more starts was because Ford was playing so much worse off the bench than as a starter he had to be put back in.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
          Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose! Jose, Jose!
          Mark Jackson ran the show as well as anyone else, but his impact (in terms of time) was so short.

Jose-Alvin-Damon-Jackson-T.J.-Bogues-Jack
          You forgot Mike James, Chauncey Billups, Chris Childs, Rod Strickland, Roko Ukic and Will Solomon. =)

EDIT: How could I forget Haywoode Workman?
          Last edited by Quixotic; Tue May 31, 2011, 01:05 PM. Reason: HAYWOODE!

Comment

I think that Jose has to rank higher than the others because of the fact that he makes everyone around him better.

I am not saying that jose is a better play, but he does have a unique quality unlike the others to make teammates around him better. Look at demar and bargani. Our 2 primary scorers and our building blocks of the future. Without jose, it is hard to see them putting up the numbers they have done this past season. neither can dribble the ball nor can they create for themselves.

Comment

As many have stated its tough to compare them because they each shine in different aspects.

Pure Talent/Excitment - Damon hands down

Total Stats/Impact - Jose hands down. Not only in raw numbers, but per (ie. per game/minute.. not PER) in the "important" PG stats (efficiency, assists, turnovers)

All around play/Effort - Alvin hands down

If I was building a team and I could take any of those guys in their prime it would be Jose, Alvin than Damon. I just think Jose has had the biggest positive impact on the team. But I will say Alvin is a close second. I just really wish Jose had a good team around him... ie good D, athletic wings, real big men etc... all at the same time. I am willing to wager if he had that, his assist numbers and A:T ratio would be off the charts.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                You forgot Mike James, Chauncey Billups, Chris Childs, Rod Strickland, Roko Ukic and Will Solomon. =)

EDIT: How could I forget Haywoode Workman?
                Derrick Martin
                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

man i loved childs
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                    Derrick Martin
                    Damn, how could I forget the guy who extended our 3 point streak? LOL

Comment

If you guys are looking for something to lift your spirits, check this clip out:

Boogie Williams hits the Biggest shot in Raptors History at the 1:25 mark.

The clip itself is a bit long, but man.. it's a good watch. Especially with the state of affairs these days.

ADD DUMB foul by ADub though on Sprewell.
                      Last edited by Joey; Tue May 31, 2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                        It's been a common misconception that Jose played well only as a back-up. I'm not saying it's your fault, just that I've heard it repeated so many times, and it's probably why you think it to be true. He was actually the starter for most of 2007-2008, and the only reason he didn't get even more starts was because Ford was playing so much worse off the bench than as a starter he had to be put back in.
                        Yes, my bad. I should have said some of 07-08 as a backup. Although, I do protest that I never claimed Jose only played good as a backup.

I was going to note in my original post that Calderon's 07-08 year remains the best offensive year ever put together by a Raptor PG. He joined the exclusive 500/400/900 club and added a ridiculous 8.1 OWS. He was also clearly better than Ford, which was why he was on the floor more often than not in crunch time (from what I remember).

Comment

Talent wise, Quicy Douby has got to be the best PG in Raptors history.

Seriously though, Jose would be my pick because he plays with heart, he's a smart player and always plays for the team and not for himself. He's a professional and has been very consistent his entire career.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                            Yes, my bad. I should have said some of 07-08 as a backup. Although, I do protest that I never claimed Jose only played good as a backup.

I was going to note in my original post that Calderon's 07-08 year remains the best offensive year ever put together by a Raptor PG. He joined the exclusive 500/400/900 club and added a ridiculous 8.1 OWS. He was also clearly better than Ford, which was why he was on the floor more often than not in crunch time (from what I remember).
                            Haha, yeah I didn't mean you. But I think you know what I'm talking about. Calderon was well above average as a starter those earlier years when he started, but all most people (or at least the more vocal ones) remember are the last two years.

You remember correctly. The team simply was a lot smoother when Calderon was on the floor. And whether eye test, Win Shares, Win Score, PER, APER or PER differential, he was definitely a top 10 PG that season in terms of overall positive impact on the team.

Comment

Y'all forgot about Milt Palacio. Always loved that guy's name. Ain't no point in cryin over spilled Milt!

Offensively I'd give it up to Mike James. The man was a scoring machine. Yes, people thought he was selfish, but how can you blame him when his teammates sucked. Take a look at our franchise records.. breakdown of all players with 15+ FGA/game with shooting percentage higher than 45%, sorted by assists per game. http://bkref.com/tiny/iMC0B.

Alternatively, 15+ FGA/game sorted by field goal percentage: http://bkref.com/tiny/4Dj94. Nothing but franchise players and Mike James on this list.
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                                Alternatively, 15+ FGA/game sorted by field goal percentage: http://bkref.com/tiny/4Dj94. Nothing but franchise players and Mike James on this list.
                                Holy shat! He took more shots that year than Bargnani did this year! haha Didn't see that coming.
                                Impressive. Still. James was a stat padder who didn't care about anything other than getting his Big Pay Day.

Comment

Working...
                                X