NBA draft Grades are out ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season wrote: View Post
    I think you've all drank the Cool Aid and turned into Masai believers. Blind optimism. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and call this strike 1.

To summarize: the 2014 NBA Draft does not make the Raptors any better for the 2014-2015 season. Does not make Lowry want to resign. Does not earn the Raptors much due respect in terms of credibility for future free agents. Perhaps we will all thank Masai in 5 years, but the Raps have a winning team NOW! They need pieces to become better and push into the playoffs, not vest all hope in a project.

The right course of action would have been to pick Napier and trade him to the heat for their 26th pick and the two other second round picks Charlotte obtained. Raps would have picked contributor at 26 and would have had 4! second round picks to pick up Bruno! Come on!
    Except for the theory that Bruno wouldn't have lasted into the 2nd round....

Comment

I think you've all drank the Cool Aid and turned into Masai believers. Blind optimism. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and call this strike 1.

To summarize: the 2014 NBA Draft does not make the Raptors any better for the 2014-2015 season. Does not make Lowry want to resign. Does not earn the Raptors much due respect in terms of credibility for future free agents. Perhaps we will all thank Masai in 5 years, but the Raps have a winning team NOW! They need pieces to become better and push into the playoffs, not vest all hope in a project.

The right course of action would have been to pick Napier and trade him to the heat for their 26th pick and the two other second round picks Charlotte obtained. Raps would have picked contributor at 26 and would have had 4! second round picks to pick up Bruno! Come on!
      Bruno wasn't going to make it to second round. Indications are that Utah would've taken him at 23. If not them, then PHX at 27. Then PHX could've had both players the Raps targeted and that would truly be a management fail, to let one team nab the prizes you want.

There isn't any player who'd for sure make this team better next year. The guys on most fans' lists were potentially role players, or high bust potential guys who could be more but could also be much less.

Teams do not have to grow on a linear trajectory. Is there any pick that would make Lowry more likely to stay in Toronto? We're talking the 20th pick here. There's no guy that a seasoned NBA vet will be like "thank god they drafted him, I'm definitely coming back. Just made my decision a lot easier".

I can understand not being thrilled with the pick, but your reaction is far too negative and far too related to thinking this team has to build on last year and be even better, and that every move has to show that. Growth was always going to be mostly dependent on internal factors. Can't forget we have Casey as a coach, and even a more "ready" player would not be expected to have an impact and would be lucky to get steady minutes as a rookie.

Comment

Bruno would have been gone at 23 to Utah. That's been reported multiple places. San Antonio and Phoenix were also both heavily interested. He wouldn't have been there in the 2nd round.

You do realize the 26th pick was PJ Hairston. You think he would move the needle for the Raptors going deeper in the playoffs? You're not getting an immediate game changer at 20. Even if we got Ennis, he is a year or two away from being ready to run an NBA team.
        The second rounder Charlotte acquired was used on Josh Powell, again, someone who is not going to move the needle at all for the Raps.

So, taking your right course of action, we get Hairston, Powell, and a future Miami 2nd rounder instead of Bruno. I'm gonna take Bruno over that deal any day, even knowing as little as I do right now about him.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Except for the theory that Bruno wouldn't have lasted into the 2nd round....
          Who cares about Bruno, we have a winner right now to build on! I cannot make an objective assessment of Bruno, due to limited intel, but I think Bruno could be a Jamario Moon type player at best. There were so many options available for insurance blankets in case Masai is unable to resign some of our players...

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            There's no guy that a seasoned NBA vet will be like "thank god they drafted him, I'm definitely coming back. Just made my decision a lot easier".
            If we exclude Lebron and Napier, lol.

I wonder how big Chalmers feels right now.

Comment

Who cares about Bruno, we have a winner right now to build on! I cannot make an objective assessment of Bruno, due to limited intel, but I think Bruno could be a Jamario Moon type player at best. There were so many options available for insurance blankets in case Masai is unable to resign some of our players...
              You cannot make an assessment, and then you proceed to make an assessment. Well done.
              Last edited by Nilanka; Fri Jun 27, 2014, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                If we exclude Lebron and Napier, lol.

I wonder how big Chalmers feels right now.
                Right, but LeBron thought Napier is the best PG in the draft and should've been a top 5-10 pick....so I'd rather my GM doesn't make moves based on such opinions.

Comment

Bruno wasn't going to make it to second round. Indications are that Utah would've taken him at 23. If not them, then PHX at 27. Then PHX could've had both players the Raps targeted and that would truly be a management fail, to let one team nab the prizes you want.

There isn't any player who'd for sure make this team better next year. The guys on most fans' lists were potentially role players, or high bust potential guys who could be more but could also be much less.

Teams do not have to grow on a linear trajectory. Is there any pick that would make Lowry more likely to stay in Toronto? We're talking the 20th pick here. There's no guy that a seasoned NBA vet will be like "thank god they drafted him, I'm definitely coming back. Just made my decision a lot easier".

I can understand not being thrilled with the pick, but your reaction is far too negative and far too related to thinking this team has to build on last year and be even better, and that every move has to show that. Growth was always going to be mostly dependent on internal factors. Can't forget we have Casey as a coach, and even a more "ready" player would not be expected to have an impact and would be lucky to get steady minutes as a rookie.
                  I'd also add that Masai took the "ready" player at 37 in Daniels. Daniels was an older junior, NCAA title winner, and should be ready to contribute right away with great outside shooting and ability to defend multiple positions.

Comment

You talk about bust potential? What say you about Bruno's bust potential? I would have taken a role player any day

Comment

Right, but LeBron thought Napier is the best PG in the draft and should've been a top 5-10 pick....so I'd rather my GM doesn't make moves based on such opinions.
                      But if the person who is giving you this opinions is the best player in the game who could ditch your team... You take these opinions in a heartbeat, not for the rookie, but for LeBron...

With that said, people are really going to believe a rookie is gonna keep Lebron in Miami? I don't think hes even any better than Chalmers and cole to be very honest.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                        I'd also add that Masai took the "ready" player at 37 in Daniels. Daniels was an older junior, NCAA title winner, and should be ready to contribute right away with great outside shooting and ability to defend multiple positions.
                        So much for being "ready" cause apparently he's bound to spend the season overseas or in the dleague..

Comment

You talk about bust potential? What say you about Bruno's bust potential? I would have taken a role player any day
                          That's why the song goes "I believe in Masai" not 'season'

Comment

The Raptors are full of role players already and you want more? I'd take the guy with star potential even if he won't even make it into the rotation for another 3 years. What's in it for the raptors to go into playoffs and get a first/second round exit every year? The main purpose is to win a championship and you don't just keep getting role players when your supposedly star players aren't good enough yet.

Comment

Role players have bust potential too.

What if McDaniels can't give you anything on offence? He's not a top 8-10 player then.

What if Stokes is too slow to guard NBA PFs and too short for Cs? He's your 5th big man then.

What if Anderson can't guard anybody and because of his speed takes 2-3 years to figure it out on O as well? That's waiting 2-3 years for a guy who can only play off the bench and still at best is an offensive 6th-7th man you have to hide on D every time he's on the floor.

What if Capela is a total headcase and never amounts to anything NBA worthy or at best a 5th-6th big? And he's about as much of a project as Caboclo.

Napier? Don't make me laugh. He's a volume scorer who's short and doesn't have great pure PG skills. People compare him to Kemba because of the school, championship run, etc....but I see more Bayless, or Augustin in him than anything. Nothing special and something you can pick up in free agency at any time. Like literally. This year there's Harris, Collison (I think I saw he's opting out), Augustin, Bayless, Patty Mills, Mo Williams....Now that's wasting a pick. Using on a guy whose ceiling is something you can get cheaply in free agency literally every year.

So who exactly was the right pick to contribute now? Bruno has high bust potential, maybe as much/more than anyone else, but given his tools also has a higher ceiling than arguably everybody left on the board at the Raps pick.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                                Which is hilarious, because it actually seems that they're stashing Daniels and immediately bringing in Caboclo.

Comment

Working...
                                X