Raps Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slaw wrote: View Post
    I would keep an eye on this early set of November games as being a key stretch:

Fri 8 @ Indiana
    Sat 9 vs Utah
    Mon 11 @ Houston
    Wed 13 @ Memphis
    Fri 15 vs Chicago
    Sun 17 vs Portland
    2-4 in that stretch would be the best outcome.

Comment

I note that The Point Forward's "50 most intriguing games of the schedule" article has New York @ Toronto at #35, because it is Bargnani's return to Toronto and they want to see if we boo Bargs to death.

Comment

We either exceed expectations, and reach +.500 by Christmas break... Or we tank..
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Out of all the teams in the Atlantic division. I hate the Celtics the most. LETS CRUSH THE CELTICS!

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
            2-4 in that stretch would be the best outcome.
            Wouldn't 6-0 be the best outcome?

Comment

At a first glance, without analyzing which teams they face, and when, this looks like it may be the easiest schedule the Raps have faced in a long time. An 82 game schedule is a marathon, not a sprint, so the first things I look at is how compressed their schedule is. It's inevitable that there will be some grueling stretches, but one hopes they'll be at a minimum

A couple of notes I see in posts that are encouraging right of the bat:
              1. Their travel time is near bottom of the league. NBA teams travel so much that it can be a huge affect on their rest and recuperation from game to game.
              2. They play the least amount of games where the opponent has a # of days rest advantage. Yahoo!!! Many of those can come on back-to-backs while the other team has had a day or two rest, which can be a big advantage for them, whatever the quality of the opponent.

A couple of other things i noticed:
              - They do have a really tough start of 8 games, including a 4 game in 5 day run, with a lot of travel in the mix. On the bright side, they seem to only have one of those 5 days/4 games stretches this year. Last year they had 2 of them by Nov 21, part of their brutal start. That first 9 games is damn tough scheduling though.:
              - game at home
              - travel day to Atlanta
              - game in Atlanta, travel to Milwaukee
              - game in Milwaukee, travel home
              - 2 days rest, thankfully
              - game at home vs Miami, travel to Charlotte
              - game in Charlotte, travel to Indiana
              - day off
              - game in Indiana, travel to home
              - game at home vs Utah, travel to Houston
              - day off
              - game in Houston, travel to Memphis
              - day off
              - game in Memphis, travel home.
              That's a lot of games in 2 weeks, with lots of travel, ending in a couple of games against very talented teams.

They don't have too many back-to-backs, in particular on their western road trips. Damn, except for that initial stretch, they seem to have a fairly easy schedule in terms of travel time and R & R time.

Comment

"We either exceed expectations, and reach +.500 by Christmas break... Or we tank.."

I think this view, as expressed by several fans, is a bit simplistic. In the first place, the schedule in the first two months is quite difficult, with a majority of games on the road, 16-13. There are six back-to-backs, including six of the first seven games. Second, the record of a young and growing team is not the only measure of progress. You want to see how the team gels over time, the chemistry, the best lineups. There are a lot of new faces, including the leading scorer, Rudy Gay, who has yet to play a full season in a Toronto uniform. Third, you want to see the team keep games close. As a previous thread put it, these guys want to win, they are not going to just roll over. Look for how hard they play even when down 20 points. In the NBA, 20 points can be overcome with tight defense and a suddenly hot hand.

You want to create a culture of playing all out, of striving to win, not of tanking. Look at the Clippers, with their woeful culture of losing over decades, moving from city to city--until last year.
                Last edited by caccia; Wed Aug 7, 2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

caccia wrote: View Post
                  "We either exceed expectations, and reach +.500 by Christmas break... Or we tank.."

I think this view, as expressed by several fans, is a bit simplistic. In the first place, the schedule in the first two months is quite difficult, with a majority of games on the road, 16-13. There are six back-to-backs, including six of the first seven games. Second, the record of a young and growing team is not the only measure of progress. You want to see how the team gels over time, the chemistry, the best lineups. There are a lot of new faces, including the leading scorer, Rudy Gay, who has yet to play a full season in a Toronto uniform. Third, you want to see the team keep games close. As a previous thread put it, these guys want to win, they are not going to just roll over. Look for how hard they play even when down 20 points. In the NBA, 20 points can be overcome with tight defense and a suddenly hot hand.

You want to create a culture of playing all out, of striving to win, not of tanking. Look at the Clippers, with their woeful culture of losing over decades, moving from city to city--until last year.
                  Though I hear your points, and obviously there has to be greater analysis... but I think the worse possible situation is to be mediocre. I would prefer to be either really bad or really good. With that said, if we dont blow expectations out of the water, I would be calling for the tank train sooner rather than later.
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

If we lose on the opening night MU gotta blow it up right away
                    No new friends (c)

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                      I note that The Point Forward's "50 most intriguing games of the schedule" article has New York @ Toronto at #35, because it is Bargnani's return to Toronto and they want to see if we boo Bargs to death.
                      enlightenment wrote: View Post
                      We either exceed expectations, and reach +.500 by Christmas break... Or we tank..
                      Ha Ha! I thought you were going to say "We either exceed expectations, and boo him out of the building, or..." I really, really did.

Comment

Anyone know when the preseason sched is gonna be released? and if they'l be making a trip to Montreal?

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                          Anyone know when the preseason sched is gonna be released? and if they'l be making a trip to Montreal?
                          Well Celtics just announced that they will play Toronto on 10/7

Comment

I don't think predicting any sort of win-loss record for this team based on the schedule will do any good, at least at the current time. Factors like major injuries cannot be accurately predicted. Your best bet would be to visit other teams' rosters and sporadically tear ACL's and break arms. Same would be done for us.

Other unforseeable factors could include:

- players that were formerly mediocre suddenly breaking out, having a substantial impact on their team (see Lin, Jeremy)
                            - upsets: you can't assume the better team will win every time

Adding onto that, we don't exactly know what mindset this team is using going into this season. Ujiri hasn't openly said much about what he's planning to do going forward, so we can't be sure whether he wants to blow up or stick with the current talent and see how they can mesh.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Comment

Bargnani is going to break his career high against us...... O wait no he wont he'll be injured 15 games in lets have a game everyone.

Do you think Bargnani will:

1.Excell in NY
                                2. Get Injured for 60% of the season or more..
                                3. Just fade into the bench remaining healthy but not particularly useful....

Comment

Working...
                                X