Masai Ujiri on Fan590 (Apr.21/14) & $25k fine from NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    I definitely get it, I just think it's lame, and weak.
    Which means you don't. That's ok.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      "Yay team!"

:|
      Since I can't find an image of Homer cutting you from the team, this will have to suffice

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
        Which means you don't. That's ok.
        And Masai 'gets it' so much that he can't stop apologizing for saying it.

But hey, I'm sure that he's only apologizing because of media pressure. Once that all blows over, we're going to be hearing 'fuck this team, fuck that team', any time anyone could be perceived as 'disrespecting' us, because clearly Masai truly believes that addressing his opponents like this is correct.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

But hey, I'm sure that he's only apologizing because of media pressure. Once that all blows over, we're going to be hearing 'fuck this team, fuck that team', any time anyone could be perceived as 'disrespecting' us, because clearly Masai truly believes that addressing his opponents like this is correct.
          Masai has to apologize, doesn't really have a choice in the matter. But that doesn't mean it was wrong to do. It's like in a trial, and the examining lawyer asks a question that they know that they can't legally ask, and know that it will immediately be stricken from the record and the jury will be advised to disregard it; but it's out there. The jury can be told to forget, but it's already served it's purpose. Same thing here. The message was delivered, Masai can let it do its own thing now and sit back and reap the rewards while appearing apologetic. Does anyone actually believe that Masai didn't know what he was saying at the time? He had plenty of time to think about it, and even paused before delivering the final message. I believe this was a calculated move on his part.

Comment

Frankly, it's the kind of thing I'd expect Rob Ford to say.

I like to see leaders and people in positions of power speak and act with a little decorum, but hey, that's just me.
            I'm going to mostly ignore the Rob Ford point. I don't really support him, but think the discussion should be centered around his actual performance on the job. Extra-curriculars shouldn't factor into hiring/firing someone (I actually think that stems from one of the greatest issues in current democracies, which is the obsession/emphasis put on appearance, campaign ads and PR as opposed to voters actually educating themselves about the issues at hand).

Ok, so I didn't really ignore that... sorry.

And... realized I didn't have anything else to add to the convo I'd delete this but I've come this far...
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I for one loved when Masai said "Fuck Brooklyn!"

Brooklyn had just openly tanked to play us, which is pretty damn classless and disrespectful, so they got a deserved response from Masai. Fuck was the perfect word for that situation. If he had said Brooklyn can go to hell, a much more PC version of fuck, I bet people would be even more upset (He's damning them to hell, oh noessss!!!!1!). If anything, Masai could have kicked it up a notch and told Brooklyn to eat shit and die. I went to college in the US and know all about fanatical fandom, and sending F bombs the other teams way is par for the course. The Raptors are bringing that kind of fandom to the city. Fuck this tea and crumpets we should be polite to Brooklyn bullshit.

Comment

He got fined $25K by the NBA. He has to apologize publicly. How is that flying so far over your head?

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  He got fined $25K by the NBA. He has to apologize publicly. How is that flying so far over your head?
                  Has to apologize publicly?? How so? He pays the fine (something Silver hiccupped on...he was against it before he was for it)...thats the apology as far as the NBA is concerned...they dont want a setting of precedent.

If you take all the spin out of it he is apologizing very simply because it was a wrong and juvenile choice of word in a very public place by senior exec of a major sports league. MU is actually afraid his mom would hear of it. Words have consequences especially for/by people who should be representative of a standard.

re your earlier post....it is ironic that many Canadians (me included) denigrate the high mindedness that many testosterone fuelled Americans tend to display with patriotic fervour in all manner of circumstances including wars they start unneccessarily. This would be an expression I would expect from a wise guy in Brooklyn. As someone else said...we just need to win....and send them a big cake when its done.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                    If you take all the spin out of it he is apologizing very simply because it was a wrong and juvenile choice of word in a very public place by senior exec of a major sports league. MU is actually afraid his mom would hear of it. Words have consequences especially for/by people who should be representative of a standard.

re your earlier post....it is ironic that many Canadians (me included) denigrate the high mindedness that many testosterone fuelled Americans tend to display with patriotic fervour in all manner of circumstances including wars they start unneccessarily. This would be an expression I would expect from a wise guy in Brooklyn. As someone else said...we just need to win....and send them a big cake when its done.
                    1. It isn't like Masai is the leader of the free world, he was riling fans up. Doesn't bother me, nor do I feel it was wrong or juvenile. To each his own.

2. The more testosterone, the better, when we're talking about an athletic competition.
                    "Bruno?
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Has to apologize publicly?? How so? He pays the fine (something Silver hiccupped on...he was against it before he was for it)...thats the apology as far as the NBA is concerned...they dont want a setting of precedent.

There is always an apology attached to the fine. It's like the apologies your mom would make you say to your brother after you stole his cupcake and pushed him in the dirt. Not sincere at all, but it gets mom off your back.

Also, I guaran-fucking-tee that Leiweke absolutely loved it when Masai dropped the "Fuck Brooklyn". The crowd went nuts when he said it, and the whole point of pep rallys like that is to get the crowd excited. You're acting like the Raptors front office should be some arcane British Royal bureaucracy.

As for, lets just win and not say anything. That basically means you want the team to have the personality of cardboard.
                      Last edited by Primer; Wed Apr 23, 2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                        1. It isn't like Masai is the leader of the free world, he was riling fans up. Doesn't bother me, nor do I feel it was wrong or juvenile. To each his own.

2. The more testosterone, the better, when we're talking about an athletic competition.
                        1. To each his own indeed. But why is he apologizing? And I dont want to moralize (since I use worse language amongst friends) ...would he speak in like manner in front of his family and children?

2. You do know "testosterone" or too much of it is illegal? It is said KG displays too much/crosses over the line with his. Are you a fan of his antics?

All I am saying is MU (and he says he agrees) crossed a line. Another point...sports is a "religion" to many and big business...I wouldn't lower it too far on the bar from religion or politics for a great many.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                          As for, lets just win and not say anything. That basically means you want the team to have the personality of cardboard.
                          So, you actually believe that a "FUCK YOU" elevates your personality above a Bieberian/ite (whatever his followers call themselves). Good for you. If you read any of my posts in the thread I was not opposed to the sentiment or his talk ginning up the crowd and even semi-seriously suggested taking up a collection for the fine....projecting our own team spirit.

Comment

1. To each his own indeed. But why is he apologizing? And I dont want to moralize (since I use worse language amongst friends) ...would he speak in like manner in front of his family and children?

2. You do know "testosterone" or too much of it is illegal? It is said KG displays too much/crosses over the line with his. Are you a fan of his antics?

All I am saying is MU (and he says he agrees) crossed a line. Another point...sports is a "religion" to many and big business...I wouldn't lower it too far on the bar from religion or politics for a great many.
                            1. In front of his family and children? Probably. To them? I'd hope not. If you're a regular dude, watching a basketball game with your kids around, and you exclaim "fuck brooklyn!". Does that make you a bad father? No. Was it a bad decision? Eh, probably, but I doubt it changes anyones life.

2. I hate KG, but ask brooklyn, minnesota or boston fans and they'll tell you they love having him on their team. I don't hate Hansbrough, and he's pretty similar.

MU crossed "A" line. But it wasn't my line, and it happened while he was supporting the team I love, so I don't care. Let's stop trying to set examples for the world for a second, and just be fans!
                            "Bruno?
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

So, you actually believe that a "FUCK YOU" elevates your personality above a Bieberian/ite (whatever his followers call themselves). Good for you. If you read any of my posts in the thread I was not opposed to the sentiment or his talk ginning up the crowd and even semi-seriously suggested taking up a collection for the fine....projecting our own team spirit.
                              "Hey Brooklyn, we are going to try our best against you!" doesn't really get the crowd going.

I went to Georgia Tech, and our rival is the Georgia Bulldogs. The school sponsored chants for these games were

"How bout them Dogs? Piss on 'em!"

and

"To Hell with Georgia"

This is a world class University dating back to the early 1900's. They have far more reason to be classy than the Raptors. It's called good old fashioned hate, and it's one of the best things about sports. It makes people actually care, like the team losing can ruin your day, but the team winning is like your first child being born.

Maybe it's because I've been living in the US for so long but teams being super PC does not get me excited one bit.

Comment

Plus I'd go so far as to say "Fuck you" gets said on court all the time by players and maybe even by some coaches.
                                "Bruno?
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X