Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grange: What is Colangelo's biggest error in Toronto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grange: What is Colangelo's biggest error in Toronto?

From Twitter:

Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange

For those who would have Colangelo ousted; I'm curious: his biggest error? #RTZ

I think it is a good question.

What do you think his biggest error has been?

It's either deciding to build around Bosh, or deciding to build around Bargnani.

Comment

In thinking of this, I came up with a lot of possibilities. But given what has transpired this season with #tradeBargnani, I'm rolling with this - final answer:

When he fired Sam Mitchell. It was that firing that has created the culture of coddling Bargnani by everyone within the organization. That decision has created a double standard and lack of accountability for Bargnani while placing coaches in a situation where their integrity is questioned based on the words they speak and the actions people see.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        It's either deciding to build around Bosh.
        Pretty sure he was hired for this sole reason. Not sure it was really his decision.
        And people need to stop pretending Bosh was anything near as good as Carmelo/DWill, and therefore we should have gotten a huge package back for him. We would have been lucky to get a lottery pick for him.

Comment

Not stepping down

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            When he fired Sam Mitchell.
            You know Matt, I love it when we agree.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              You know Matt, I love it when we agree.
              Pffffft!

So boring.

Comment

For me, the biggest error was the Jermaine O'Neal deal. After that 2007-2008 season, it was clear the team had plateaued and needed changes. He had Ford, a first round pick, Rasho's expiring and potentially a guy like Parker to move. He had assets available to him and he traded for a 32-year old broken down big and eviscerated the roster to do so (Wil Solomon anyone?).

That signing started the downward fall of the team and he spent the next two seasons trying to fix that mistake with the Marion deal and then the ill-fated Turkoglu signing. The team has never recovered from that 2008 season. If he had done what most fans wanted, which was use those assets to bring in an elite wing player, things may look very different today.

Comment

For me it's a toss-up between these 2 things:

1) Attempting to build around a 'franchise player' who never was (and never could become) a true franchise player to be built around (ie: Bosh, Bargnani, soon to be DeRozan and likely eventually Valanciunas) --> all subsequent roster moves have been predicated on a fundamentally flawed strategy that leaves the team destined to fail.

2) Rushing the post-Bosh era rebuild, after initially starting out on the right foot --> had BC approached last season as another 'rebuilding' season (instead of rushing into 'building' mode) and then approached this season as the first 'building' season (instead of rushing into 'competing' mode), this franchise could actually be headed someplace positive (though that positive place would be limited by the fact that BC was continuing to build around Bargnani/DeRozan as illegitimate franchise cornerstones - see #1).

Comment

Other errors:

1. Turkoglu signing
                    2. Hiring Jay Triano
                    3. Not moving Bosh sooner
                    4. Bargnani
                    5. Pretty much everything in the last 3 offseasons

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      It's either deciding to build around Bosh, or deciding to build around Bargnani.
                      +1

Its a toss up for me aswell on those two because building around Bosh was the initial mistake, but building around Bargnani was a blatantly foolish move.

Comment

Holding on to Bargnani for as long as he has.
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

1) Attempting to build around a 'franchise player' who never was (and never could become) a true franchise player to be built around (ie: Bosh, Bargnani, soon to be DeRozan and likely eventually Valanciunas) --> all subsequent roster moves have been predicated on a fundamentally flawed strategy that leaves the team destined to fail.
                          See, I don't agree with this at all. Bosh, plus a player as good as Bosh would have been a 50-win team and a serious playoff contender but BC never found that guy. Even a "franchise" player like Lebron, Durant, Duncan, etc. can't win by himself. Bosh never played with another all-star in Toronto. I really dislike the Bosh bashing in Raptorland...

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            In thinking of this, I came up with a lot of possibilities. But given what has transpired this season with #tradeBargnani, I'm rolling with this - final answer:

When he fired Sam Mitchell. It was that firing that has created the culture of coddling Bargnani by everyone within the organization. That decision has created a double standard and lack of accountability for Bargnani while placing coaches in a situation where their integrity is questioned based on the words they speak and the actions people see.
                            I don't know if there is any proof of coach Mitchell having been fired because he was tough on Bargnani and held him accountable, so I don't know if it's proper to make that statement.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              I don't know if there is any proof of coach Mitchell having been fired because he was tough on Bargnani and held him accountable, so I don't know if it's proper to make that statement.
                              It was super-obvious. Tough love, not speaking to AB throughout pre-season. It was there man. Pairing Evans with Bargs as his rebounding assistant was the last straw for me.
                              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                              X