This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeRozan Just Dropped a Big 40 in a Summer League Game

Of course it is only a summer league but the game was probably only 32 or 40 minuets long and 40 is good in any league

Just had 40 in the drew league. Felt like I was playing in the Rucker Park....
    http://twitter.com/DeMar_DeRozan

Drew League
    The Drew has been a Mecca for west coast pro-am basketball for over 30 years, and it is only getting stronger...
    http://drewleague.com/Aboutthedrew.htm

Got to love his aggressiveness on offense. I think he is going to pleasantly surprise a lot of Raptors fans in 2010-11
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sun May 30, 2010, 09:46 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Looking forward to really nice year in 2010-11 from Demar. Got to quiet his detractors. You betcha'
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

DeRozan to be honored at the inaugural inductee ceremony of the new Compton High School Alumni Hall of Fame

Here is the mpressive list, keeping in mind that the entire city of Compton comprises only 10 square miles. The entire article is on the link below.

And so, on Thursday, June 3rd, the first Halls of Fame Induction Ceremony and Celebration will be held in the historic Compton High School Auditorium. The program aptly carries the title, “Greatness Grows Here,” and will recognize the great accomplishments of Compton Alumni representing graduating classes from as far back as 1928 and as recent as 2008. “Our legacy reaches too far and too wide to ignore,” he said. “That means we are all part of something bigger and greater than we are…and that includes: administrators, teachers, students, and parents. It’s time to proclaim our rich heritage,” he declared.

The 2010 Inductees are:

1. Alvin “Pete” Rozelle, known as the godfather of football and the originator of the Super Bowl
      2. Edwin “Duke” Snider, homerun slugger and baseball hall of famer
      3. William “Bill” Hanna, of Hanna-Barbera Productions, originators of the Flintstones, and the Jetsons
      4. Timothy W. Wright, III, presidential advisor and member of legal team that drafted the South African Constitution
      5. The Honorable Kelvin Filer, Superior Court Judge and community leader
      6. Reynaldo Brown and Ulis Williams, Olympic champions
      7. Bill Armstrong, successful educator and coach.

Special recognition will be given to
      1. Valerie Ervin, President of the Ray Charles Foundation, for exemplary support of Compton High students in a recent sponsored excursion to the White House
      2. Demar Derozan, NBA basketball player and recent Compton High School graduate.
      http://www.wavenewspapers.com/commun.../95154349.html

Comment

This wasn't "summer league". Doesn't Summer League happen in July and involve teams' young players, current draft selections and typically young, undrafted, free agents?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          This wasn't "summer league". Doesn't Summer League happen in July and involve teams' young players, current draft selections and typically young, undrafted, free agents?
          There are maybe hundreds of basketball summer leagues across America each summer.

The one that you are referring to is the NBA Summer league in Las Vegas.

This is the Drew Pro-Am summer league in Southern CA.

Since the best ballers in terms of quality and quantity in the world come from So CA and tend to live there even if they play in some other pro city, the Pro-Am leagues like the Drew league draw a very high level of competition. I don't know what other NBA players if any are participating in it this summer. I think Jennings might be playing in another league.

Yes it is going to be exciting as always in Las Vegas. I believe it is usually starts the third week in July or so.

Comment

What's the official first day of summer again? (jk)

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              What's the official first day of summer again? (jk)
              It is earlier than I thought.

the 2010 NBA Summer League Games in Las Vegas, Nevada

The 2010 NBA Summer League will be in Las Vegas, Nevada from July 9th-18th, 2010. The Summer League is a pro basketball league run by the NBA just following the NBA Draft. Teams consist of players who have been in the NBA for 3 years or fewer as well as newly drafted talent. It gives Rookies a chance to practice against other players that are new to the NBA. Games are held throughout the ten days at Thomas & Mack Center and Cox Pavilion on the UNLV Campus
              http://www.sportsmanagementworldwide...eer-conference

Thanks for asking the question. I have the date set in a reminder. Hopefully the games will be televised again this season via internet broadband access.

Comment

Everyone knows Derozan can score, it's how effective he can be once he learns how to be a NBA-type playmaker, thats when teams start noticing you and try to double-team you. His ball handling skills also need a massive upgrade.

Comment

Yeah, he needs to work on moving without the ball, being set for a shot and filling the lane. He won't be a play maker any time soon with his handle. Even if he does develop a strong handle he needs to work on those three to work great in the Colangelo system.

Comment

matt wrote: View Post
                    Everyone knows Derozan can score, it's how effective he can be once he learns how to be a NBA-type playmaker, thats when teams start noticing you and try to double-team you. His ball handling skills also need a massive upgrade.
                    When did DeRozan get converted to a PG?

Then I guess R. Allen, J. Johnson and R. Hamilton's ball handling skills also need a massive upgrade.

Turnover per 36 minutes and TOV% compared. The lower the better

DeRozan 1.3 and 9.4
                    R. Allen 1.6 and 10.6
                    J. Johnson 1.8 and 8.8
                    R. Hamilton 2.7 and 12.3

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...hamilri01.html

Comment

What he needs is to extend the range on his jump shot and be aggressive on offense the entire time on the court. Most of all what he needs to do is to improve his defense big time.

Comment

The difference imo of this league as compared to the Vegas summer league is that the Vegas summer league teams would have some NBA staff coaching the players and running some sort of structure. Whereas other summer leagues where pros and amateurs get together to run can be just a basic pick up game with little defense , just a run and gun game, which is okay also but you cant really read too much into DD putting up 40 , cuz if he's playing with say, Jennings, he's gonna get a lot of fast break dunks and alley-oops over lesser defenders than he would see in the NBA.

Comment

What does TOV% have to do with anything? DeMar barely handled the rock last season because there wasn't enough ball to go around (thanks BC...).

Anyway, DeRozan doesn't have to create for anyone but himself just yet. He needs to improve his ball-handling and three point range in order to do that.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                            When did DeRozan get converted to a PG?

Then I guess R. Allen, J. Johnson and R. Hamilton's ball handling skills also need a massive upgrade.

Turnover per 36 minutes and TOV% compared. The lower the better

DeRozan 1.3 and 9.4
                            R. Allen 1.6 and 10.6
                            J. Johnson 1.8 and 8.8
                            R. Hamilton 2.7 and 12.3

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...hamilri01.html
                            so is kobe also a pg? wade? lebron?

and ray allen is a great playmaker and a good ball handler...

and please,the stats are misleading..you would be crazy to think derozan is better than any of those guys just because his TO's per 36 is lower...

and one of the knocks on him coming out of college was his ball handeling....improving his ball hadeling will help him beat his man, so iam all for it....

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                              What does TOV% have to do with anything? DeMar barely handled the rock last season because there wasn't enough ball to go around (thanks BC...).

Anyway, DeRozan doesn't have to create for anyone but himself just yet. He needs to improve his ball-handling and three point range in order to do that.
                              TOV% is the number of turnovers based upon the number of times that you handle the ball in a relevant situation. It has everything to do with it in my opinion.

TOV%
                              Turnover Percentage (available since the 1977-78 season in the NBA); the formula is 100 * TOV / (FGA + 0.44 * FTA + TOV). Turnover percentage is an estimate of turnovers per 100 plays
                              http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/glossary.html

Granted his usage % was not as high as the others but his turnovers relative to his shooting and passing were the lowest.

Usage %

DeRozan - 18.1
                              Allen 20.2
                              Hamilton 27.9
                              J. Johnson 26.3

But as the fifth option you wouldn't expect his usage % to be that high. The other guys are the go to guys, well maybe Allen was #2, on their teams. The Raptors aren't looking for DeRozan to do that .

DeRozan needs to improve his shooting range, aggressiveness and defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X