Damian Lillard an Option if we Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damian Lillard an Option if we Fall

With our next three games being crucial in determining our draft position before the lottery on May 30th I want to see what options are on the table in the late lottery picks. One player I've been following is Damian Lillard from Weber St. 6'2 PG who's quick, explosive, athletic, can create his own shot and for others, uses the pick and roll well, and doesn't turnover the ball a lot. He might be a guy that could be our PG of the future if we drop. Anyone else see other players that could be at play for our pick if we drop.

Not much to dislike about his game. Score first PG with a silky touch. His assist numbers aren't great but either are his teammates. Hard worker that has improved drastically every year in college. Athletic but not a freak. Worth a look in the late lottery.

Comment

DG88 wrote: View Post
      With our next three games being crucial in determining our draft position before the lottery on May 30th I want to see what options are on the table in the late lottery picks. One player I've been following is Damian Lillard from Weber St. 6'2 PG who's quick, explosive, athletic, can create his own shot and for others, uses the pick and roll well, and doesn't turnover the ball a lot. He might be a guy that could be our PG of the future if we drop. Anyone else see other players that could be at play for our pick if we drop.
      He reminds me of Charlie Jenkins and Reggie Jackson out of last year's draft.

I wouldn't be reaching on a PG that is getting more hype due to a lack of PG's in the draft. I think he and Marshall's value are being artificially inflated due to a lack of PG's in the draft.... but that is just my opinion.

Comment

I like the pick too but this would definitely be the end Jerryd Bayless.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

No thanks. A score first pg who turns the ball over more than he should and doesn't rack up high assist totals? why not just give Bayless the QO?

Comment

2 turnovers a game isn't bad compared to a guy like Tony Wroten Jr, another score first PG, who turns the ball over more than he generates assists. Lillard was the best scorer for his team so he had to score to keep them in games. It's not like he was inefficient at scoring the ball either, 2p% 51.7 3p% 41 FT% 89.

Comment

DG88 wrote: View Post
              2 turnovers a game isn't bad compared to a guy like Tony Wroten Jr, another score first PG, who turns the ball over more than he generates assists. Lillard was the best scorer for his team so he had to score to keep them in games. It's not like he was inefficient at scoring the ball either, 2p% 51.7 3p% 41 FT% 89.
              Jimmer-esque.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                No thanks. A score first pg who turns the ball over more than he should and doesn't rack up high assist totals? why not just give Bayless the QO?
                Damian Lillard 2.2 TO/g 74 TOs
                Kendall Marshall 2.8 TO/g 101 TOs
                Jimmer Fredette 3.5 TO/g 131 TOs 10/11

His pretty good at protecting the ball even seeing he had to make a play every position. Lillard translate way better to the NBA than Fredette.
                Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Sat Apr 21, 2012, 09:03 PM.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  I like the pick too but this would definitely be the end Jerryd Bayless.
                  From what's written about him, he could be the second best player in the draft. Poor level of competition is one way teams miss some very good player. He is the guy that should be passing the ball and receiving the pass, so his ball distribution abilities are difficult to assess. BC would have to make the call on this possible mirage demanding attention.

Comment

Right. And look at Lillard's competition. Lots of inferior competition. A lot will depend on his workouts, but as for right now, I'm not high on him like some of you are. Low assist totals coupled with not so impressive turnover rates in a very weak and unproven conference makes me not impressed. In my opinion, at this moment, he's not worth a top-10 pick and I don't believe he's an upgrade over Calderon or Bayless

Comment

In my opinion, at this moment, he's not worth a top-10 pick and I don't believe he's an upgrade over Calderon or Bayless
                      None of these point guards in this draft are upgrades over Calderon or Bayless IMO. Maybe Marshall over Bayless, but that's a risk I don't want to take on unless we fall.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Imo, Marshall is an upgrade over Bayless in the sense that he's a much better game manager.

Is he worth a top-10 pick? Debatable. However, I'd do a draft day trade whereby we select someone then flip them to whoever selects Marshall further down and them sending some cash our way.
                        Last edited by MangoKid; Sat Apr 21, 2012, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Imo, Marshall is an upgrade over Bayless in the sense that he's a much better game manager.

Is he worth a top-10 pick? Debatable. However, I'd do a draft day trade whereby we select someone then flip them to whoever selects Marshall further down and them sending some cash our way.
                          I wouldn't be angry if we dropped and drafted Marshall. Like you said, he's a pure point guard and has a special passing ability.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                            I wouldn't be angry if we dropped and drafted Marshall. Like you said, he's a pure point guard and has a special passing ability.
                            I feel like there is a reason why Damian Lillard is a head of Kendall Marshall in like every mock
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              I feel like there is a reason why Damian Lillard is a head of Kendall Marshall in like every mock
                              Well he is a big time scorer at the college level. But in the NBA, there is just more than scoring, that's why I don't have him ahead in my "mock"

Comment

Working...
                              X