Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I like your post - good points.

The bold is one area I would question. Danny Ferry's first move in Atlanta was sending out the best player for pennies on the dollar - an older and more expensive player at that.

However, I think we can safely say Colangelo's LAST move will not be sending out Gay for pennies on the dollar.
    I'm familiar with the Joe Johnson situation, but it's quite a bit different than the Rudy Gay situation.

Joe Johnson has the worst contract in the NBA, he's going to be making $25M in 2015-16. Most Hawks fans were amazed and happy Danny Ferry was able to deal Joe Johnson without taking back a shit sandwich in return. Joe Johnson is old, declining, and had worn out his welcome in Atlanta. The only similarities to Gay are that they are/were the highest paid player on the team, and some people think they're the best on the team (Atlanta also had Josh Smith and Al Horford so it was arguable Johnson was even their best player, and ridding Johnson was to the benefit of those two players).

Also, Danny Ferry was clearing space to make a run at Dwight Howard or Chris Paul, which are somewhat realistic for Atlanta (Howard the only one I think still has a chance).

If a new GM dealt Gay for pennies on the dollar it would be looked at as a Babcock esque move, whereas Danny Ferry is being heralded as a great GM. Atlanta is my next favorite team as I used to live there and had season tickets, so I know personally that I was ecstatic when Ferry took over and made those trades. Ferry's real test will be this coming off season and what he's able to accomplish with all their cap space. I've got my fingers crossed LA misses the playoffs and Dwight feels like leaving.

Comment

• Another consideration why the Bulls might trade Boozer for Bargnani (and maybe even throw in a pick!):

Chicago Bulls fans eager for Nikola Mirotic to join the team that drafted him with the 24th pick in 2011 will likely have to wait until the summer of 2014, general manager Gar Forman explained.

“You’re slotted in the first round, and I think the slot for No. 24 is $1.3 or $1.4 million,” Forman said Thursday on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “Well, he makes a lot more money than that right now over at Real Madrid. So the way the CBA is written is after three years then you’re no longer slotted. Then you can use whether it’s exception room or cap room in order to pay a guy.

“So there’s no possibility this summer because next year will be his third year. But after next year, the summer of 2014, then we’ll be able to start some negotiations as far as a buyout possibly with Real Madrid or negotiate with him to come over here.”

Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nikola-mir...-bulls-in-2014
      I think we are all in agreement it is not a basketball decision on the Bulls part. Boozer>>>Bargnani - debate? *crickets* Good.

The Bulls currently have $58.992 on the books for 2014-2015. Assuming the cap goes up around $5M, that leaves them, right now, with maybe around $5M in cap space - again assumption made here. Dropping Boozer for Bargnani gives them another $4.8M so now they are up to maybe around $9.8M in cap space. If they keep their first round draft pick this season the numbers drop to about $3.5M assuming cap goes up and $8.3M with trade.

So maybe they have their eyes on 2014 for Mirotic and then Bargnani coming off the books in 2015-16 might leave them with another $10+M in cap space.

Who knows. I'm just shooting poop.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
        Gay for Gasol.

Toronto gets an expiring contract and a great locker room presence/mentor for Valanciunas; LA gets a younger, talented wing player who still has some merit on a team that already has its two alpha dogs in Howard and Kobe and is looking to win a championship ASAP. You can still do whatever you want with Bargnani - trade for picks, amnesty, whatever you like. You can even trade him for Boozer if you want, though I wouldn't.
        At least give the guy one full season to prove himself worthy of the trade. The Raps gave two of their best assets, the least they can do is see what Gay can do for them given a full season.

Besides, i dont think Gay would fit in LA. They need a spot up shooter to open up the defense so Kobe can penetrate and Howard can work inside. I can see them wanting Ross or maybe even AA.

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
          At least give the guy one full season to prove himself worthy of the trade. The Raps gave two of their best assets, the least they can do is see what Gay can do for them given a full season.

Besides, i dont think Gay would fit in LA. They need a spot up shooter to open up the defense so Kobe can penetrate and Howard can work inside. I can see them wanting Ross or maybe even AA.
          Oh, I fully believe Gay will be in TO all of next year; it's more likely he's traded on his last contract year. I'm just skeptical of whether we'll see anything different from what we've seen his whole career. Volume shooting leading to decent numbers but not impacting team success.

In Memphis, it worked to a degree because the system revolved around 2 other guys who were both very efficient on offense and pretty good defenders when Rudy let his guy by him. It won't work in Toronto when he's supposed to be the alpha.
          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
            Gay for Gasol.
            as childish as it is.... this made me laugh out loud

Comment

• Gasol not because I think he is any better for the team...but because he would be a 19 million dollar expiring contract THIS year
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Another consideration why the Bulls might trade Boozer for Bargnani (and maybe even throw in a pick!):

I think we are all in agreement it is not a basketball decision on the Bulls part. Boozer>>>Bargnani - debate? *crickets* Good.

The Bulls currently have $58.992 on the books for 2014-2015. Assuming the cap goes up around $5M, that leaves them, right now, with maybe around $5M in cap space - again assumption made here. Dropping Boozer for Bargnani gives them another $4.8M so now they are up to maybe around $9.8M in cap space. If they keep their first round draft pick this season the numbers drop to about $3.5M assuming cap goes up and $8.3M with trade.

So maybe they have their eyes on 2014 for Mirotic and then Bargnani coming off the books in 2015-16 might leave them with another $10+M in cap space.

Who knows. I'm just shooting poop.
                Interesting assumption.

I still would take the Boozer deal today, because he adds elements of toughness, leadership, and consistency. Boozer does have health problems, but with Gasol and a wiped season, adding in aging, I'm not taking that risk on him. I personally feel that Boozer would be a better fit here anyways. Aaron Gray actually is a solid back-up centre with all fun intended aside, and because of small ball, I feel Boozer would be a better C than Gasol in that lineup.

I personally think you run with a Robinson/Boozer deal. Although, Robinson and Boozer are making money arguably over their worth.

Lowry/Robinson/Telfair (assuming he re-signs cheap)
                Derozan/Ross
                Gay/Fields
                Boozer/Johnson
                Valanciunas/Gray

Add in your shooters/defenders/bigs etc.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                  Interesting assumption.

I still would take the Boozer deal today, because he adds elements of toughness, leadership, and consistency. Boozer does have health problems, but with Gasol and a wiped season, adding in aging, I'm not taking that risk on him. I personally feel that Boozer would be a better fit here anyways. Aaron Gray actually is a solid back-up centre with all fun intended aside, and because of small ball, I feel Boozer would be a better C than Gasol in that lineup.

I personally think you run with a Robinson/Boozer deal. Although, Robinson and Boozer are making money arguably over their worth.

Lowry/Robinson/Telfair (assuming he re-signs cheap)
                  Derozan/Ross
                  Gay/Fields
                  Boozer/Johnson
                  Valanciunas/Gray

Add in your shooters/defenders/bigs etc.
                  Robinson is actually on a minimum contract this year! LOL Why can't BC pick up minimum vets like that!

He is also a free agent so he is not able to be traded for.

What I like about Amir is the ability to play both PF and C. I would only use Boozer at PF. With him I'd pair Amir or JV at C. That is just me though.

Comment

Robinson is actually on a minimum contract this year! LOL Why can't BC pick up minimum vets like that!

What I like about Amir is the ability to play both PF and C. I would only use Boozer at PF. With him I'd pair Amir or JV at C. That is just me though.
                    I think Robinson had even some trouble getting a contract this year (or maybe he didn't want to sign with any club). There is some bias against small players even when they can play (Isaiah Thomas would never have gone 60th in the draft if he was a bit taller even though he defends better than quite a few taller nba guards). He's not an answer to anything but you can do much worse in the microwave section.

Comment

• Bulls have 3 good PGs under their belt BC has to look to them Its obvious 1 is out with the #Return happening next season. Nate Robinson and Teague are the likely toss aways.

Comment

In the new CBA, cap space should be much more beneficial in trades. Big reason why DeRozan's extension pissed me off so much.
                        I'm still holding my opinion on Demar's extention until we are 100% sure he's not worth it! I can recall that we ALL complained when Amir got his extension (5 year, $34 million contract) on the first day of free agency. Now I'm pretty sure everyone can agree that Johnson is a bargain right now with the way he plays and his productivity. Not saying Demar's contract is a bargain, but I'll wait until I'll make a definitive opinion on his contract.

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                          I'm still holding my opinion on Demar's extention until we are 100% sure he's not worth it! I can recall that we ALL complained when Amir got his extension (5 year, $34 million contract) on the first day of free agency. Now I'm pretty sure everyone can agree that Johnson is a bargain right now with the way he plays and his productivity. Not saying Demar's contract is a bargain, but I'll wait until I'll make a definitive opinion on his contract.
                          I don't recall being opposed to Amir's contract.

What I didn't like was BC bidding against himself and listening to Amir say he was looking for around $20M.

Also, Amir's contract was originally reported as $34 but it is actually $30M and $28M guaranteed.

As for DeRozan's contract - worth is not the issue. His cap hold was about $3-4M less than the contract. That $3-4M could have been used in a trade, DeRozan without the extension was a better trade chip, and once again BC bid against himself.

Comment

Oops! My bad sir, looking at a non-updated website.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Tom Thib was really upset with Nate Robinson down the stretch he was doing "too" much but honestly Nate is a competitor I think its ok for him to just be Nate off the bench.

Next season I think Acy really needs a serious look at cracking the rotation..

Comment

• Boozer always performs against the Raps. He had it going today, 12-14 points in the 1st Q before eventually cooling down and fouling out. His offensive game is inconsistent, but when his jumper is falling he's a lethal weapon.
                                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Working...
                                X