Is Thaddeus Young a good fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Thaddeus Young a good fit?

So Thaddeus is reading the writing on the wall, and seems to understand that given Philly's "direction" he could easily be moved at some point this season.

Now, I'm undecided on this issue, so I want to see some opinions. Do people think Young would be a good fit in Toronto?

A couple of things to consider in this discussion.

-If you're a pro-tanker, don't just simply bash the deal because you want to lose. Depending on who's sent out, and what else happens with the team, acquiring him might not necessarily change the fate of the team that much...like we all know if Lowry goes down the season is likely in the crapper.

-So, it's more a discussion on whether you think he might be a good fit as a piece moving forward.

-Disclaimer that I don't think Thad Young is worth a 1st round pick....but I'd be ok with giving away a 2nd rounder.
    ->A deal could look something like Young + Wroten for Lowry + Hansbrough (or Gray if they want to get more capspace faster)...with a 2nd rounder maybe going their way.

Article where he talks about possibly being traded:
    http://www.delcotimes.com/sports/201...ay-be-numbered

Thoughts?

I would think pro-tankers would love this deal. What does it accomplish for the Raptors in any way, shape or form? Meanwhile it makes Philly better, which they don't want to do. Hansbrough's energy off the bench is something this team needs if it wants to be competitive. Tank or no tank, do we really want DJ Augustin as the starting PG?
    Ball Don't Lie

Comment

phdmac wrote: View Post
      I would think pro-tankers would love this deal. What does it accomplish for the Raptors in any way, shape or form? Meanwhile it makes Philly better, which they don't want to do. Hansbrough's energy off the bench is something this team needs if it wants to be competitive. Tank or no tank, do we really want DJ Augustin as the starting PG?
      For the Raptors it comes to my original question: is Thad Young a good fit? is he a forward you would want going...forward (damn inadequate vocabulary)? We wouldn't be giving up much as it's pretty certain Lowry's an easy candidate to be traded, especially if hte team is not doing well. And in that case, Hansbrough's energy is not that useful.

And does it really make Philly better? They get a PG, but lose a starting forward, and are still so lacking in talent that they clearly won't be crawling out of the gutter.

And as for DJ, if we got Wroten in the deal, it gives one more option other than him. Frankly, I'd be more comfortable starting anybody other than DJ. Stone, Buycks, and if it were to happen, Wroten, all could have room to improve. I feel like every time DJ steps on the floor, his value goes down.

The deal could also look different. A less "tanking" trade could have us moving Fields, who Philly shouldn't mind picking up since they'll probably suck hard next year too, and thus not be too upset about cap situation. So it could be Fields + Gray/Hansbrough or some such.

**So yeah, it's more about Young's worth. I've always been kind of on the fence about him. Sometimes I feel like he's underrated. Other times I feel like he's not that big a difference maker. So I'm curious what others think and how they see him potentially fitting in.

Comment

I like him, but he's not a piece that I think this team needs moving forward. He's kind of a soft combo forward. He rebounds well enough, but I also don't see there being enough reason for Philly to move a potential piece like Wroten. I suspect we could get a better return for Lowry and Hansbrough's impact on the team and its identity is something that I think could be useful to have around
        Ball Don't Lie

Comment

phdmac wrote: View Post
          I like him, but he's not a piece that I think this team needs moving forward. He's kind of a soft combo forward. He rebounds well enough, but I also don't see there being enough reason for Philly to move a potential piece like Wroten. I suspect we could get a better return for Lowry and Hansbrough's impact on the team and its identity is something that I think could be useful to have around
          Again it doesn't have to be Lowry + Hansbrough. The Raps have other pieces (Fields, Amir, Gray, Novak, Ross, DeMar) which could get a deal done. I mean, if it only took Novak, Fields and a 2nd rd pick, would you still hate the deal that much?

As for Wroten, well they have MCW as well that they just drafted. And next year's draft has good PG prospects in it. I don't feel like he's someone they'd be super attached to.

Comment

I feel like the 76ers could definitely get a 1st round pick for it, which is ideally what they'd want since it makes them worse this season but better in the long run. Around the trade deadline there are going to be fringe contenders desperate for a good player to put them over the top.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
              I feel like the 76ers could definitely get a 1st round pick for it, which is ideally what they'd want since it makes them worse this season but better in the long run. Around the trade deadline there are going to be fringe contenders desperate for a good player to put them over the top.
              Certainly a possibility. I feel like teams will be reluctant to help them in that way though, since they already have potentially 4 1st rounders this year alone. And I feel like that could make them more receptive to other deals where they might get other pieces, or a 2nd rounder, back.

Comment

I really don't understand the obsession of some 'fans' to dump any and all of our assets in order to tank just to acquire more assets. DeMar has shown an improved game and desire to stay in toronto and he's 24. Valanciunas is 21 and by all accounts loves where he is at. Ross is what 23? Acy is around the same. Amir is a young vet. We have a lot of young talent that we are in the process of developing. Ideally I'd like to see Gay stick around and pick up his option. By the end of his final year we'll actually know what we have in Ross. Which leaves open a couple possibilities:
                1. Ross is good enough to be a starting SF in the league and is showing great signs of improvement. So, option 1 we trade Gay's expiring contract for some savvy vets and draft picks and continue on. Or we don't see any value in Gay other than his 20million coming off the books and could care less if we get anything for him because if we did it would just hamper our flexibility.
                2. Ross blows, Gay has shown improved efficiency and a willingness to defend consistently and can be signed for 3 years at 28million. Ross is traded for whatever we can get and we move on
                3. None of this f***ing matters because none of us have any sense whatsoever of how to run/build a team.
                Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                  I really don't understand the obsession of some 'fans' to dump any and all of our assets in order to tank just to acquire more assets. DeMar has shown an improved game and desire to stay in toronto and he's 24. Valanciunas is 21 and by all accounts loves where he is at. Ross is what 23? Acy is around the same. Amir is a young vet. We have a lot of young talent that we are in the process of developing. Ideally I'd like to see Gay stick around and pick up his option. By the end of his final year we'll actually know what we have in Ross. Which leaves open a couple possibilities:
                  1. Ross is good enough to be a starting SF in the league and is showing great signs of improvement. So, option 1 we trade Gay's expiring contract for some savvy vets and draft picks and continue on. Or we don't see any value in Gay other than his 20million coming off the books and could care less if we get anything for him because if we did it would just hamper our flexibility.
                  2. Ross blows, Gay has shown improved efficiency and a willingness to defend consistently and can be signed for 3 years at 28million. Ross is traded for whatever we can get and we move on
                  3. None of this f***ing matters because none of us have any sense whatsoever of how to run/build a team.
                  Bold: Because some people wish to compete for more than a scattered playoff appearance.

1. Ross would be very undersized at SF. There have been examples of guys his size thriving at SF but they are anomalies.

2. Didn't you say in #1 Ross blows? Also, Gay can be signed at 3 years and $28M????? Says who? Certainly not his agent.

3. No, none of this matters at all. However if you don't care for useless banter, why are you here?

Comment

The Raps need help at backup point guard, could use a 2 guard with outside shooting...so why Thad Young? How do the Raps get better with any trade involving Young -- short term or long term? Thad is just a guy. The Sixers probably want picks. Why would the Raps give up picks for Thad Young? He doesn't resolve a need.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Bold: Because some people wish to compete for more than a scattered playoff appearance.

1. Ross would be very undersized at SF. There have been examples of guys his size thriving at SF but they are anomalies.

2. Didn't you say in #1 Ross blows? Also, Gay can be signed at 3 years and $28M????? Says who? Certainly not his agent.

3. No, none of this matters at all. However if you don't care for useless banter, why are you here?
                      Lol idk why you even bothered responding to his post, the guy is most definitely a troll. Saying Ross can be a starting SF in the NBA in #1, then saying he blows in #2 lol

Comment

Young would be a good fit if the Raptors didn't already have Gay. Young is a poor man's Gay but is making under $9M a year. If the Raptors could trade Gay then I would love to have Young. If not, then I personally would prefer not to tie up $35-37M on my wings.

If we can move Fields in any Young trade, then I'd think about it.. but Philly would be looking for a first rounder for Young. Perhaps too high of a price in my opinion. I like Young, just don't think he fits the team at this time.

Comment

Where exactly did you read about phili wanting to dump him? Last I read, Phili's trying to make Hawes, Thad and Turner their core...

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Young would be a good fit if the Raptors didn't already have Gay. Young is a poor man's Gay but is making under $9M a year. If the Raptors could trade Gay then I would love to have Young. If not, then I personally would prefer not to tie up $35-37M on my wings.

If we can move Fields in any Young trade, then I'd think about it.. but Philly would be looking for a first rounder for Young. Perhaps too high of a price in my opinion. I like Young, just don't think he fits the team at this time.
                            Wow... When you say poor man, I think you mean slave labor poor -- not sweat shop labor poor that's a bit too high class.

Sorry mars, I genuinely respect your opinion but the idea of a poor man's RG is not a good thing. A poor man's high usage, low efficiency small forward? Ugh. That doesn't improve anything.

Comment

Pong wrote: View Post
                              Where exactly did you read about phili wanting to dump him? Last I read, Phili's trying to make Hawes, Thad and Turner their core...
                              Thad said it in an interview. I think I read it on SB Nation.

Comment

Working...
                              X