Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    This is not a fan perspective but it is local Denver media:

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

Money shots:
    I think the problem with the thinking in the above article is they are overlooking marginal benifit.

This is a multi-million dollar industry, that spends tens of millions on player's contracts, and likely well over a 100 million on total costs.

Overpaying a GM by a million or two is irrelevant. The marginal benifit to an 'above average' GM could be huge even if the GM is payed like one of the 'best' in the league.

I'm not convinced the Kroenke's are properly understanding value in this situation. Rather are just being cheap. The only way it makes sense is if they feel Masai is easily replaceable (average or bad). But given his history, even if short, I think the risk reward scenario of 'overpaying Masai' is well worth the potential reward.

Comment

• Is it me, or does spending $3 million/yr for the man IN CHARGE of basketball, not exactly a steep price?

Kroenke/Pepsi Centre probably spends double that on cotton candy ingredients.

Comment

• I have probably said this before (and reiterated by many a Nugget fan)....that the Kronks were willing to pay MU possibly 1.5 mil. So, to jeopardize the trajectory of the improvement of their basketball team's success in the next few years because of 1.5 mil. additional per year seems like a most stubborn adherence to some business principle orthodoxy I fail to understand. As mentioned above this would be about 1% of the total basketball expense budget. But then again I am also unfamiliar with managing part of the Kroenke WalMart fortune or the NHL Avalanche or the St. Louis Rams. Save your millions and the billion will take care of itself must be a truism.

Comment

This is not a fan perspective but it is local Denver media:

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

Money shots:
          And if Denver regresses while Toronto steps forward(which will happen) they will have a PR nightmare.

Toronto paid based on potential. When GM's do this for players it's applauded and they're spending far more then $3M, usually its $8-15M/yr; that's ok but the guy who has the most important job on the team, it's not "ok" to do this? The article sounded like Nuggets damage control.

Comment

• It's going to be a couple of weeks before we find out what Masai is going to do with this team's players and identity...
            Looking forward to the progress in the next little while.

Comment

• drunkmunky wrote: View Post
              It's going to be a couple of weeks before we find out what Masai is going to do with this team's players and identity...
              Looking forward to the progress in the next little while.
              I'm looking forward to see who he brings in to complete his front office.

Comment

I'm looking forward to see who he brings in to complete his front office.
                It would be great to see him add 2 guys, one who's a CBA/numbers guy and one who's a stats/analytics guy, to provide balance to his own scouting background.

Comment

• I missed it anything amazing from Mr Ujiri did he walk on water and then heal all of Torontos sick and turn Bargnani into an all star?

Comment

• He said that he's going to keep his team small, so the number of positions that he is going to hire is not a lot. I don't think it's going to take that long because he has probably already contact them, or will be contacting them within the week.

The next couple of weeks is going to be required to re-assess the exit interviews from months back, work with casey on team identity, and to establish the new vision for the raptors. I believe Leiweke will comment on the rebranding movement after all of that team assessment work is completed.
                    Last edited by drunkmunky; Tue Jun 4, 2013, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                      He said that he's going to keep his team small, so the number of positions that he is going to hire is not a lot. I don't think it's going to take that long because he has probably already contact them, or will be contacting them within the week.

The next couple of weeks is going to be required to re-access the exit interviews from months back, work with casey on team identity, and to establish the new vision for the raptors. I believe Leiweke will comment on the rebranding movement after all of that team assessment work is completed.
                      I really like Ujiri. Good opening line "Im home"

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                        I missed it anything amazing from Mr Ujiri did he walk on water and then heal all of Torontos sick and turn Bargnani into an all star?
                        He didn't address any specific roster questions, unfortunately.

Comment

• He addressed Bargnani that 'all teams in the nba want a big man that can shoot the 3'

Comment

• ... They just don't all want one who doesn't know how do anything that a big man is expected to do.

Comment

• A lot of teams want a big man camping behind the 3 point line that doesnt rebound lets trade him for Kyrie Irving!

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                                A lot of teams want a big man camping behind the 3 point line that doesnt rebound lets trade him for Kyrie Irving!
                                We're totally getting fleeced in that deal. They'd have to throw in the Cleveland Indians just to make it considerable...

Comment

Working...
                                X