No announcement yet.

Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why on Earth would they put the All Star game in Vancouver? Im sorry but its about Toronto so we arent an after thought in the NBA. Putting it in Vancouver would be a joke.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
      Why on Earth would they put the All Star game in Vancouver? Im sorry but its about Toronto so we arent an after thought in the NBA. Putting it in Vancouver would be a joke.
      Why would it be a joke? I know it's not Vegas, but it's not like the NBA has never gone to a city without a team.

Frankly I would expect this kind of thing to come from the NBA, not the Raptors bid specifically, but that the Raptors would obviously be heavily involved in any such process since it would happen in Canada.

And BTW, all-star games have pretty much no impact on the host teams. It will not stop Toronto from being an afterthought in the league. All-star games are just about networking and making money. The way players perceive Toronto will likely not be affected by such a thing at all...and frankly, could impact it negatively as February is a pretty shitty time to visit Toronto.

Comment

I actually wouldn't mind Wolverines. As long as we put Hugh Jackman in the logo

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          I actually wouldn't mind Wolverines. As long as we put Hugh Jackman in the logo

Might help bring in more female fans

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Might help bring in more female fans
            Haha you got that right. But in all seriousness it would be pretty sick. Either keep it Raptors or Change it to Wolverines anything else can sit the F down

Comment

I would vote against Wolverines for 2 reasons:

1. The last time we tried to bank in on movie success, it failed miserably.
              2. When I think of Wolverines, I think of Michigan. I would prefer a team name that doesn't already have a strong tie elsewhere.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                I would vote against Wolverines for 2 reasons:

1. The last time we tried to bank in on movie success, it failed miserably.
                2. When I think of Wolverines, I think of Michigan. I would prefer a team name that doesn't already have a strong tie elsewhere.
                This I can somewhat agree with...It is the most challenging part of finding a new name though. It has to be something that isn't in or similar to something in the NBA.

As for the movie thing....I think the Wolverine as an animal stands alone pretty well. The character was named after the animal for a reason. We're talking a dog-sized weasel that Grizzly and Polar bears are afraid of. Seriously, it's a freakin awesome animal. The movie thing is just a coincidence. I don't think they should actually brand the image around the character at all...just the animal.

But really, I understand the Michigan thing...I just couldn't think of a name that isn't taken by somebody somewhere...Huskies is also taken by UConn and Washington (and I'm pretty sure many more). Bisons isn't associated to a successful team, but if you grew up in Toronto or the Niagara region, how can you not think of Buffalo Bisons minor league baseball? (And as has been said for both...Huskies is close to T'Wolves in image, and Bisons is maybe not dissimilar enough from Bulls)

Really, I've been thinking about it a lot. At this point, I'm trying really hard to think of an inanimate symbol (like the Towers....but considering we only have one tower, and it's a boring-ass name...) or something abstract. I can't even think of something abstract. The Toronto Blizzards? Yeah..that's going to help with the perception the rest of the league has. It's not even accurate as winters are really not bad in Toronto...The Toronto Shitty Mayors? That's accurate at least.
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed May 22, 2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

The Toronto Raptors rolls better off the tongue than the Toronto Wolverines in my opinion.
                  You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                    The Toronto Raptors rolls better off the tongue than the Toronto Wolverines in my opinion.
                    I actually find it the other way around.

Raptors is more easily said. IT's a coarser, more abrupt word.

Wolverines is smooth...each syllable kind of leaks into the next. It's longer, but has a much nicer ring to it.

Obviously this is just personal opinion though.

Comment

How about the Ontario Onions? or Ontario Orangutans? Ontario Orcas? Ontario Ocelots? no, wait the Ontario Octopi? How about the Ontario Owls? Or the Great Lakers? The Toronto Great Lakers...that's it. We got Leiweke...Phil soon...why not call ourselves the Great Lakers? yawn...I'm bored today.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        How about the Ontario Onions? or Ontario Orangutans? Ontario Orcas? Ontario Ocelots? no, wait the Ontario Octopi? How about the Ontario Owls? Or the Great Lakers? The Toronto Great Lakers...that's it. We got Leiweke...Phil soon...why not call ourselves the Great Lakers? yawn...I'm bored today.
                        yeah, basically.

Honestly, I wish that Atlanta wasn't the Hawks, because then even with the name Raptors they can totally re-brand the image (raptor means bird of prey). So they could pick something like the hawk or the falcon as a logo without really changing much. The claw of a hawk/falcon/eagle isn't even a serious logo change.

Comment

The Toronto Loonies. I am of two faces when it comes to the logo on the jersey; maybe a Canadian loon on one side and a sketch of BryCo on the other?

Comment

I'd leave the name alone. Just from a personal standpoint, I wanna see the Raptors turn it around and achieve something in the coming years, not this team with a different name. It's not that I'm a big fan of the name, but it is the name I have been cheering for since 95 or whatever, and I don't know, but if the name changes I wonder if I may feel like I'm cheering for a new team? Sorta like the Seattle/OKC situation for me. I was a big fan of the Sonics, but had a difficult time getting into the Thunder. Admittedly, I did jump on the OKC bandwagon eventually, but I didn't feel like I was cheering for the same organization in a different city early on. Of course, we aren't proposing moving the Raps out of Toronto, so it isn't a fair comparison, but I do have similar feelings about it. I'm sure I'd get over it if the name did get changed. I just want to be able to say at some point that the Raptors had some good clubs and were worth cheering for, and in a perfect world had won a championship or two. I don't want to be able to say the the Toronto Raptors pretty much sucked, but the Toronto Whatevers, they were pretty good. It's just a name, I know, same team either way.

Comment

Why everyone names their teams by animal names? What about a name - Toronto People? lol
                              (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

japetas wrote: View Post
                                Why everyone names their teams by animal names? What about a name - Toronto People? lol
                                The Toronto Wiggins!

Comment

Working...
                                X