Raps buying out Peja today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    Yeah, that's how it looks. The TPE was sold on the fans as assets and now will be dropped with little uproar from fans. If the Raptors had only gotten the picks for Bosh in the off-season and not the TPE there would have been a huge uproar. Timing.
    Wait what? They are using the TPE to buy out Peja?

BTW Why the hell are we buying him out? Why not just keep him till the contract is up?

Comment

Ya...but heaven forbid...

Yeah, that's how it looks. The TPE was sold on the fans as assets and now will be dropped with little uproar from fans. If the Raptors had only gotten the picks for Bosh in the off-season and not the TPE there would have been a huge uproar. Timing.
      We could of received Beez....but he's a doper !!!!

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post

BTW Why the hell are we buying him out? Why not just keep him till the contract is up?
        I don't think Apollo was referring to the fact that they're using the TPE to buy Stojakovic out. I don't think you can do that.
        He's gonna get his money either way, whether he sits on the bench in street clothes for the rest of the year or gets bought out. The move that Colangelo made was classy. He's getting a vet a chance to go to a contender and maybe hop aboard in the hopes of helping a team in getting a ring, or failing that, a long playoff run - tht is, if he's healthy. It also frees up a roster spot so someone can come in and get a chance to impress the brass.

Comment

I'm am not suggesting they're using the TPE to buyout Peja. It's not ever possible.

They save a little money by buying him out now.

Comment

d279 wrote: View Post
            We could of received Beez....but he's a doper !!!!
            I think the thought was if the team was in contention, that the TPE would have been used to bring someone in, it was regarded as flexibility. Now the TPE could still be used, however I doubt that. Beasley has done wonderful things since he arrived in Minnesota, but who's to say that he would have performed the same way in Toronto - that's a huge assumption. It's also a lot of pressure because people would be looking at him as the return from the Bosh deal - and as we know early on, Beasley didn't perform well under pressure. In Minnesota, he's pretty much an anonymity and he just focuses on ball. Let's also remember that Minneapolis, while it does have it's vices, don't have nearly as much as Toronto. We would have been on a watch to see when the first time Beasley would have caught smoking dope, or partying too hard.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              I think the thought was if the team was in contention, that the TPE would have been used to bring someone in, it was regarded as flexibility. Now the TPE could still be used, however I doubt that. Beasley has done wonderful things since he arrived in Minnesota, but who's to say that he would have performed the same way in Toronto - that's a huge assumption. It's also a lot of pressure because people would be looking at him as the return from the Bosh deal - and as we know early on, Beasley didn't perform well under pressure. In Minnesota, he's pretty much an anonymity and he just focuses on ball. Let's also remember that Minneapolis, while it does have it's vices, don't have nearly as much as Toronto. We would have been on a watch to see when the first time Beasley would have caught smoking dope, or partying too hard.
              you know he woulda been a st james town regular.

i've said it once, and i'll say it a thousand times over... this city would have broke that boy.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                you know he woulda been a st james town regular.

i've said it once, and i'll say it a thousand times over... this city would have broke that boy.
                White Vegas will do that to a brutha.

Comment

Do you have a source for this because I'm inclined to believe it's incorrect...
                  It was 100% incorrect. TPE can be used in any amount as long as the full contract can be absorbed by the TPE or as long as the contract is not bigger than the TPE.

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post
                    TPE can't be used all at once and only portions of it can be used as "filler" in a deal
                    Where on earth did you get that information? That's not true at all. You can't combine exceptions, but you can certainly use all of it at once.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

White Vegas will do that to a brutha.

it wasnt that long ago that this was a common conversation in toronto:

"hey, do you know where i can get some weed?"

"coffee time"

"which one?"

"all of them"

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                        it wasnt that long ago that this was a common conversation in toronto:

"hey, do you know where i can get some weed?"

"coffee time"

"which one?"

"all of them"
                        I bought some from a Coffee Time in Scarborough a couple of weeks go. Not bad. Then I had to have a Black Forrest Muffin.

Comment

As has been said, you can't use a TPE to buy someone out. It doesn't work that way. What it does is saves the Raptors money and opens up another roster spot. If they're buying him out now, there's a chance there's a reason for it. I wouldn't be shocked if another deal is coming down the pipe for the Raptors.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            I don't the the TPE will necessarily not be used. It just won't be used to do what some people wanted it for, and that was to bring in a half decent veteran who would help the team. I never, ever saw any point in that. It still could be used like Oklahoma used their cap space, and that was to acquire draft picks. That's the only thing I wanted to see done with the TPE.

As for Peja, I'm not surprised. There are plenty of teams that are going to have cap space this summer, and not a lot of premium free agents.
                            100% agreed. The TPE doesn't run out until July 13, 2011. There is still 30+ days until trade deadline. At the draft that TPE could be very valuable in moving up or creating a larger deal that would otherwise not happen. Or it could still be used to absorb a contract from a financially struggling team giving a top 55 protected 2nd round pick in return either before the deadline (unlikely) or at the draft (more likely).

Also, I am disappointed Peja won't get flipped for anything but at the same time that deal did create a couple of million extra flexibility next season and rid Jack's final 2 years on the contract. Oh yeah, plus Bayless was brought here. I'd rather have Bayless than Jack - any day.

Comment

http://twitter.com/alexraskin82

Done deal.

Comment

I'm not surprised by this. Evans' contract will run out and won't be traded. The TPE won't be used either.
                                The TPE has been used 3 times already. First to help get rid of Hedo, second to acquire Ryan Anderson, and again to acquire Bayless. It hasn't been useless for us, but it definitely isn't what it was advertised to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X