Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chad Ford Mock Draft 1.0: Raptors select Enes Kanter (Enes v Jonas starts post #139)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bendit wrote: View Post
    In Kanter's case he already has a fairly large body of work and had eyeballs to determine his quality and potential. I am sure the top 4 teams are not waiting on Kyrie Irving workouts. It's also overlooked I think that he was designated player-coach at KU this past year and this was possibly to allow him to practice with the team/keep in shape during the season. Not actual games I realize but next best thing.
    Great points. He was absolutely allowed to still practice with the team and workout with them as well. He was only restricted from playing in games, and traveling with the team. He kept his scholarship.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

Lol the beginning of that video is funny, the cameraman must of been on something.
      NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

j bean wrote: View Post
        Of course you're right that there are no sure things in this years draft but as far as picking a big goes Kanter has a lot going for him. The thing I potentially find most worrisome about him is if he sees himself more as a four and doesn't really want to take advantage of his size and bang for position. I'm just saying that because he has a nice jump shot and has had success with it. To be the big man presence that the Raptors are looking for it takes a mentality that we don't know if he has or not.
        Kanter has always been billed as a low post banger with a nice touch and good basketball sense /awareness. By now he should both know his role and be comfortable with it. Of the big three Ford and NBA Draft.net have him third, well Draft Express has Valanciunas there with Kanter at 7th. The main knocks appear to be his knees, the year off, a lack of athleticism and a bit undersized. But he is broad and a beast. Bargnani it aint. More polished then either Valanciunas or Biyombo, who are both viewed as less NBA ready. There are also questions about Biyombo's age and Valanciunas's current contract. Kanter is not a sure thing, but there appear to be lots of PG's and SF's in the 2012 draft with still few Centres showing. If given a chance it looks like one must take either Irving or Williams. But after them it is very iffy, and Kanter makes sense on a lot of levels, especially if one can line up a couple of early 2012 picks, or trade for the other needed components.

Comment

Enes and his "agent" (Calipari) flapping his gums in long interview. No wonder he can recruit every year......

http://www.studyinamerica.com/exclus...i-enes-kanter/

Comment

Dont believe the hype - he is riding the credentials of that game. The game of his life. Did not go an play in Kentucky because he would have been exposed as inconsistent slow and under-athletic.

Did not play at all in Euro pro league last year.
            "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
              Dont believe the hype - he is riding the credentials of that game. The game of his life. Did not go an play in Kentucky because he would have been exposed as inconsistent slow and under-athletic.

Are you kidding me? This is up there with one of the most ignorant things I've ever read.
              There is so much wrong with this statement.

He did 'not go an play in Kentucky' because the NCAA ruled he received payment, and thus eliminating him from competition. He didn't go and play in the Euro-league, because he got to keep his scholarship to Kentucky, continue to train and Practice with the team, while also getting a Top Notch Education for a year. Can you blame him?

As for him being 'exposed', well thats a whole other issue. Because he exposed all those American born, college bound players pretty handely.
              Last edited by Joey; Thu May 5, 2011, 10:33 PM.

Comment

"He did 'not go an play in Kentucky' because the NCAA ruled he received payment, and thus eliminating him from competition. He didn't go and play in the Euro-league, because he got to keep his scholarship to Kentucky, continue to train and Practice with the team, while also getting a Top Notch Education for a year. Can you blame him?"

I think he was talking about the workouts Calpari had in Kentucky for the scouts to see the Kentucky players that entered the draft. Kanter did not participate in those for some reason; one assumes that he was ducking the competition. Makes no sense. No one will draft him if he does not come to play sometime. Scratch that, we'll draft him.
                My concern about him is that he is undersized and, if I have this right, plays below the rim. Translated to the NBA, that is a shorter Hoffa. There is no way he will rebound like Reggie, and Bargnani was no good with Reggie either.

If he blows people away in tryouts, he will be a high pick. I kind of see Colangelo taking Vesey, thinking he will be a perfect 3/4 "mismatch" guy. He loves soft, tall white guys.

Comment

EaseMyPain wrote: View Post
                  My concern about him is that he is undersized and, if I have this right, plays below the rim. Translated to the NBA, that is a shorter Hoffa. There is no way he will rebound like Reggie, and Bargnani was no good with Reggie either.
                  What is 'undersized' about 6'11", 260lbs? And I'm not sure what you mean by 'below the rim' .. he is VERY athletic and very frequently dunks it on guys. Sorry to say, but I don't think you've really done enough homework on this guy. He's nothing like Hoffa, Reggie or Bargnani.

EaseMyPain wrote:
                  I kind of see Colangelo taking Vesey, thinking he will be a perfect 3/4 "mismatch" guy. He loves soft, tall white guys.
                  That has to be a shot at Bargnani, as I'm not sure who else would fall into that catergory.
                  We've yet to hear anything about BC being interested in Vesely.

ADD And VERY few people rebound like Reggie. Hence why he was ranked among the Top 5 in most/ALL Statistical Catergories for Rebounding in the entire league.

Comment

meductic wrote: View Post
                    Kanter has always been billed as a low post banger with a nice touch and good basketball sense /awareness. By now he should both know his role and be comfortable with it. Of the big three Ford and NBA Draft.net have him third, well Draft Express has Valanciunas there with Kanter at 7th. The main knocks appear to be his knees, the year off, a lack of athleticism and a bit undersized. But he is broad and a beast. Bargnani it aint. More polished then either Valanciunas or Biyombo, who are both viewed as less NBA ready. There are also questions about Biyombo's age and Valanciunas's current contract. Kanter is not a sure thing, but there appear to be lots of PG's and SF's in the 2012 draft with still few Centres showing. If given a chance it looks like one must take either Irving or Williams. But after them it is very iffy, and Kanter makes sense on a lot of levels, especially if one can line up a couple of early 2012 picks, or trade for the other needed components.
                    There is no doubt that Enes has the size and strength to be that low post presence the Raptors are looking for. On the Wildcats official site six months ago he was 260lbs and I've read a report that says he's 270 now. The more I've read about him the more impressed I've become. I listened to an interview Coach Cal did for Turkish TV about Enes and he raves about him as a player and as a person. He was born in Switzerland when his father was there studying medicine and he's got some of his dads smarts.
                    Enes describes himself as a power forward who can play center because of his size. [search Enes Kanter power forward] He has spent a lot of time this past season working on his 3 point shooting and has improved his jump shot. If the role the Raptors are looking to fill is a center who primarily plays under the basket it could be like trying to pound a square peg in a round hole. That being said Enes is very intriguing for the Raptors who need help at the five.
                    His knee problems were almost three years ago [he had surgery] and there hasn't been a problem that has effected his play since.

Comment

Just out of interest, where is your evidence for this? Or os this just your opinion?

If you're referring to the workouts, loads of top players keep away from things like that. You want to blame someone, blame his agent. And he didn't play in Europe last year because he didn't find out until January that his appeal was denied by the NCAA. A little late to hop on a European team. And he was getting good coaching at Kentucky, even if he wasn't playing.

You obviously don't like him, but I get the feeling it's not based on anything factual.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

"

I think he was talking about the workouts Calpari had in Kentucky for the scouts to see the Kentucky players that entered the draft. Kanter did not participate in those for some reason; one assumes that he was ducking the competition. Makes no sense. No one will draft him if he does not come to play sometime. Scratch that, we'll draft him.
                        My concern about him is that he is undersized and, if I have this right, plays below the rim. Translated to the NBA, that is a shorter Hoffa. There is no way he will rebound like Reggie, and Bargnani was no good with Reggie either..
                        It's very comment that top pick don't workout with other ppl. Their agents tell them not too. DeMar and ED did the same thing. ED didnt even workout for us. DeMar had a solo workout with just the coaches and GM's
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

"He did 'not go an play in Kentucky' because the NCAA ruled he received payment, and thus eliminating him from competition. He didn't go and play in the Euro-league, because he got to keep his scholarship to Kentucky, continue to train and Practice with the team, while also getting a Top Notch Education for a year. Can you blame him?"

If he blows people away in tryouts, he will be a high pick. I kind of see Colangelo taking Vesey, thinking he will be a perfect 3/4 "mismatch" guy. He loves soft, tall white guys.
                          If the criteria is will he play well with Bargs then you are probably right. But unless there is a drastic change in Andrea it is a test that arguably very few players would pass, if any. However there are two other bigs on the team he would probably complement quite nicely. The Bargs issue is for another thread. As stated above Kanter is expected to work out for highly positioned teams after the ping pong balls drop. It is a pick not without risk, but depending on his physical maybe less risk than the alternatives after the first 2 picks are made.
                          Last edited by meductic; Fri May 6, 2011, 01:20 PM.

Comment

His vertical scares the crap out of me...he plays way below the rim...I just can't see him finishing in traffic like that in the nba.

Comment

You're pulling this out of thin air and you're not even doing a good job of it seeing how it doesn't make any sense. Such a play could equally lead to him not getting drafted in the first round or all together had he not played extremely well during the opportunities where people did get to see him play ball.

mattscottnelson wrote: View Post
                              His vertical scares the crap out of me...he plays way below the rim...I just can't see him finishing in traffic like that in the nba.
                              He's not Allen Iverson, why does he need to finish in traffic? He's a big man who has lots of moves down low in the post. He also has a face up shot. Why does he need a vertical?

My concern about him is that he is undersized and, if I have this right, plays below the rim. Translated to the NBA, that is a shorter Hoffa.
                              The following from reputable, experienced people in the industry:

Bigman with excellent size, strength and polish … Combines brute strength with a high skill level … Soft hands … Long arms and solid athleticism allow him to be a force in the paint … A tremendous rebounder. Plays with a high motor and enjoys contact … Has a strong frame and a high basketball IQ … Has a scorers mentality. Owns a diverse offensive game with the ability to use post moves and strength to score on his opponent or face the basket and knock down mind-range jumpshots … Has the strength to muscle through contact and finish … Smooth offensive game. Has a soft touch and excellent shooting motion … Good free throw shooter … Has legitimate center size. Measured 6-11, 261 lbs at the LeBron James Skills Academy in July … Possesses great dexterity and body control for a bigman … Coachable kid with a positive attitude and strong work ethic …
                              Source: NBAdraft.net

Comment

His touch and way he finishes around the rim reminds me of Zach Randolph. High praise.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X