Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have we entered an alternate universe? Are the Raptors buyers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before the trade, I was ok giving up DD in a trade to make the team better. I'm not so sure anymore. I didn't realize Gay and DD had history together. Watching DD, Gay and Ross playing together was incredible. We now have one of the fastest teams in the East. I want to see what these 3 guys can do together. I have also never had a problem with Lucas. I dont see the value in upgrading the backup PG. Leave it alone this year. Trade Bargs and one of Fields, Anderson or Klieza for a F/C.

Comment

I'd say stay the course right now in the interest of keeping your exceptions down the road. The team's growth is going to come internally over the next 2.5 years through chemistry and the development of JV, Ross and (hopefully) DeRozan. I don't think Gasol puts you into contender status and I think you'd have to give up DeRozan to do it.

It IS doable in trading Bargs + DeRozan though:

To Orlando: DeMar
      To LA Lakers: Bargs and Afflalo and Gray
      To Toronto: Gasol + filler to free up roster spots

Something like this:
      http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bg8l7nl

I think each team makes this deal. The Lakers may hesitate to bring back so much long term salary, but they're all in on Howard and winning another 'chip with Bryant, and I think this trade makes a lot of sense for them. All of their big contracts expire after 13/14 anyway.

Comment

If we can get him by trading away Bargs, Kleiza, Anderson and picks, I'm all for it. But just like everybody else I would not want any of the other guys traded.

Comment

I'm not convinced Pau would be a better starting PF with this unit than Amir ... Amir has proven to be a legitimate starting NBA big, and his lunch pail approach is what you need with all the jump shooters.

Maybe Bargs stays as a bench big until the summer ... or flip him for a backup PG, pick, and expiring. Sessions, Diop, CHA pick
          The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Why make a move this year? Chances are we don't make the playoffs so why rush it?
            Wouldn't Bargs be more attractive next year with only that year plus 1 more left on his contract?

Comment

Bargnani + Anderson for Gasol is the only trade I would entertain.
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I just noticed Haddadi's 1.3mill current contract has a team option next year. Now that's great filler if needed.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                  Bargnani + Anderson for Gasol is the only trade I would entertain.
                  I don't think that will get it done. In the end I think a multi-team deal might be necessary for LA to get what they want out of the deal....because LA won't deal unless they get what they want.

The only team I can picture putting an offer straight up and LA considers it is Minnesota, but it would cost them all their SFs.....Kirilenko + Williams + Budinger....LA might do that, and so might Minnesota given their season is pretty much done, but then Minnesota is basically paper thin at the wing positions.

Comment

chrischris wrote: View Post
                    Why make a move this year? Chances are we don't make the playoffs so why rush it?
                    Wouldn't Bargs be more attractive next year with only that year plus 1 more left on his contract?
                    Yeah well I sorta agree with you but I was kinda shy to tell it... I think, right now, we should wait until the summer to trade Bargs.

Let's make him the backup power forward, playing 20 to 30 minutes. In the summer let's see.

Comment

You never want to bet on a player making another player better...but I want to see if Gay has any impact on Bargs. Gay clearly has the swagger to improve his teammates. He's also not afraid to tell his teammates how it is. I heard he told Amir he should be playing like last night every night. Does Bargs have the humility to play with the 8th drafted player in his draft that's clearly better then he is 6 years later?

Comment

chrischris wrote: View Post
                        I just noticed Haddadi's 1.3mill current contract has a team option next year. Now that's great filler if needed.
                        I just tossed Haddadi into ESPN's trade machine and it says a player we acquire in a trade cannot be traded in combination with other players for two months (but can be traded by himself).

By my count, there's three possible frameworks for Gasol, limiting it to two teams:
                        Bargnani + Gray + Lucas + Anderson
                        Bargnani + Kleiza + Anderson
                        Bargnani + Fields

We lose a lot of depth in the first trade, but I'd probably go for it. But it relies on Anderson consenting and waiving his bird rights. If Anderson refuses, then the trade is pretty-much impossible. Gray + Lucas + Acy isn't enough salary. The second scenario also involves Anderson, but here, if he refuses, you could swap in Acy and the numbers would work. But I don't think LA, with their tenuous salary situation, take on Kleiza. Realistically, I don't think LA would go for any of these.
                        The third is the most interesting, because Fields is actually a pretty decent asset (and the one that I would least want to trade. I really like Fields' game). But it doesn't give LA much cap relief. They may find the first scenario preferable because it allows them to clear a decent amount of cap space.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Very interesting.

What do you think, should the Raptors trade for Gasol if the opportunity arises?
                          a week ago I probably would have said no. But since the Rudy Gay trade has more or less blocked (or speed bumped anyways) the direction I would have preferred to see this team go, it makes more sense now.

Ofcourse this doesn't come without alot of questions about how it would even get done. Between needing to make the trade work (ie. within NBA salary cap rules), Toronto would almost definetely need to be willing to pay tax next year aswell.

This deal made a lot more contractual sense when it was Bargs + Calderon for Pau. Now its a lot tougher.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                            I just do not think that is at all possible. The players you'd be offering the Lakers would be Bargnani, Fields, Anderson, Kleiza, or/and John Lucas. I do not think the Lakers would want any of those guys. They want a legitimate piece to move forward with, and not inconsistent bench guys. If we want Gasol, we need to split with someone like Amir or Ross (with Bargnani and another bench guy like Anderson). It is just not worth it, to me.

With the trade assets we have, Colangelo would have to do something pretty spectacular to get a guy like Gasol on the team. I think we see many smaller deals made to just improve the overall roster (Backup PG/PF/C)

EDIT: The only way it could happen would be with something like another three team deal. While I think Atlanta could be good for that third team, I just do not trust BC to pull it off.
                            You know, if you had said last summer that the Raptors would get Gay for Calderon, ED, and a 2nd rd pick (likely around 40-44), I would have told you to put down the pipe. But it happened because basketball and non-basketball circumstances allowed it.

It is most likely delusional on my part but it would be incredible if Colangelo can buy on the cheap in two transactions in a row.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                              a week ago I probably would have said no. But since the Rudy Gay trade has more or less blocked (or speed bumped anyways) the direction I would have preferred to see this team go, it makes more sense now.

Ofcourse this doesn't come without alot of questions about how it would even get done. Between needing to make the trade work (ie. within NBA salary cap rules), Toronto would almost definetely need to be willing to pay tax next year aswell.

This deal made a lot more contractual sense when it was Bargs + Calderon for Pau. Now its a lot tougher.
                              But that never made bball sense for LA. While I still think Bargs is a good fit for LA with Dwight there and the D'antoni system, Jose has no business being on a team with Steve Nash that already has 2 backup quality PGs in Duhon and Blake, and another young prospect there.....LA will want to get faster at the PF position, at the very least, and I'm guessing add at least one wing who's at least a quality role player. I still see Bargs, and Josh Smith, as their 2 biggest and most likely targets, and that even getting both might be their goal.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

Definitely agree. No way the Raps can do it without a third team unless LAL is absolutely desperate and the only team willing to take Gasol is Toronto.

Now though it makes much more sense from a competitive-basketball sense..... and it is the first time we can speculate on any trade from that perspective in a long, long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X