Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Draft Hindsight Thread: Missed Opportunties (2001-Present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

enlightenment wrote: View Post
    and then destroyed it till BC came along...
    Maybe you missed the few years before Colangelo came along. You might want to go back and take a look at them.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tony Parker
      Robertas Javtokas
      Bryan Bracey
      John Salmons
      Luis Scola
      Randy Holcomb
      Leandro Barbosa
      Beno Udrih
      Romain Sato
      Sergei Karaulov
      Ian Mahinmi
      Damir Markota
      Tiago Splitter
      Marcus Williams
      Giorgos Printezis
      George Hill
      Goran Dragic
      James Gist
      DeJuan Blair
      Jack McClinton
      Nando De Colo
      James Anderson
      Ryan Richards

Man, several good players but so many crappy ones as well!

See what I did there? Because listing draft picks by a team without using your brain is a good way of making a point. I especially like how you listed Miralles and Rush (who we picked on behalf of the Heat and the Lakers, respectively) instead of Sow and Jefferies, while also listing Jawai, who was picked on our behalf. Oh, and you forgot Slokar, Graham and Bavcic!

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Maybe you missed the few years before Colangelo came along. You might want to go back and take a look at them.
        you mean the 33, 33 and 27 win seasons that happened because of the vince trade?
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

The microscope shines much brighter on draft's in Toronto because that is the only avenue they have to add a true potential young star to the team.

Teams like the Celtics, Knicks, 76'ers, Bulls, Pistons, Heat, Magic, Wizards, Spurs, Mavs, Rockets and the Lakers could afford to have bad drafts because they can attract top talent through free agency.

Comment

This thread is pretty pointless. You could really do a thread like this for ANY team and make them look bad.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
              you mean the 33, 33 and 27 win seasons that happened because of the vince trade?
              I'm not sure how those seasons happened BECAUSE of the Vince trade, especially when one of the 33 win seasons took place WITH Vince. And the next season the team was 7-13 when Vince was traded, to finish with 33 wins.

And by the way, before the 33, 33 and 27 win seasons was a 24 win season.

And unless you're agreeing with me, none of that has anything to do with Colangelo.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                I'm not sure how those seasons happened BECAUSE of the Vince trade, especially when one of the 33 win seasons took place WITH Vince. And the next season the team was 7-13 when Vince was traded, to finish with 33 wins.

And by the way, before the 33, 33 and 27 win seasons was a 24 win season.

And unless you're agreeing with me, none of that has anything to do with Colangelo.
                Haha, enlightment just got... enlightened. =)

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                  Haha, enlightment just got... enlightened. =)
                  lol nice

Comment

just for the record not trying to criticize bc but just pointing out our last 10 years has been pretty bad as a whole.

Comment

Colangelo has drafted well in Toronto. Ed Davis, DeMar DeRozan and Andrea Bargnani are all good players in their own ways. The only players he's taken in Toronto who have not succeeded have been second rounders Nathan Jawai and PJ Tucker. The majority of second round selections in general fail. It's uncommon for second rounders to stick in the league. I know some do, and someone may feel compelled to list them but that far majority fail. Colangelo has one of the best draft histories in the league. It's one area where he's excelled.

Comment

What I find interesting about that list is that, of all the players the team has drafted in the past 10 years, only 3 players are still on the team, and it's quite possible - if not likely - that one of those 3 will not be here when the season starts.

Comment

Yeah. I think Ed and DeMar are long term keepers. The Raptors need to continue to treat them well and build a strong group with little turnover around them. For example, if Bosh had a strong team that performed relatively well with little turnover he may have looked past the off court temptations of Miami and signed an extension. A strong locker room has untold power.

Players don't leave the Raptors because it's the Raptors, they leave the Raptors because the team is not fulfilling their career aspirations.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Yeah. I think Ed and DeMar are long term keepers. The Raptors need to continue to treat them well and build a strong group with little turnover around them. For example, if Bosh had a strong team that performed relatively well with little turnover he may have looked past the off court temptations of Miami and signed an extension. A strong locker room has untold power.

Players don't leave the Raptors because it's the Raptors, they leave the Raptors because the team is not fulfilling their career aspirations.
                            Don't fool yourself, there is nothing that could have or would have kept Bosh in Raptors uni.
                            Deadallus

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                              What I find interesting about that list is that, of all the players the team has drafted in the past 10 years, only 3 players are still on the team, and it's quite possible - if not likely - that one of those 3 will not be here when the season starts.
                              I wonder how other teams compare to that

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
                                I wonder how other teams compare to that
                                Since 2001? I'll just do playoff teams (bracketed number is number of players who've always been on that team - if a player has since been reacquired after having been traded. those players are represented by with a *).

76ers: 6 (Iguodala, Speights, Williams, Turner, Holliday, Young)
                                Grizzlies: 5(4) (Battier*, Conley, Vasquez, Young, Henry)
                                Thunder: 5 (Durant, Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka, Collison)
                                Pacers: 5 (Granger, George, Hansbrough, Price, Stephenson)
                                Spurs: 4 (Parker, Hill, Blair, Splitter)
                                Hawks: 4 (Smith, Williams, Horford, Teague)
                                Blazers: 3 (Armon Johnson, Mills, Oden)
                                Knicks: 3 (Douglas, Fields, Rautins)
                                Celtics: 3(1) (Green*, D.West*, Bradley)
                                Bulls: 3 (Noah, Rose, Gibson)
                                Magic: 2 (Howard, Reddick)
                                Lakers: 2 (Bynum, Ebanks)
                                Hornets: 2 (Paul, West)
                                Heat: 1 (Wade)
                                Nuggets: 0
                                Mavericks: 0

Comment

Working...
                                X