Canadian mens basketball team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    These guys are going to want to retire after you're done skewing the shit out of their website lol
    There's always outliers. :-)

Comment

That is some FANTASTIC intel Puffer (even if it is still a bit vague, Hah), thanks a million for doing that!
      I've been thinking for years how useless that website is.

They really do need a Public Relations Manager on that Staff... or a new one if they already do... what are you up to these days Puffer?! Haha
      You could clearly inject some fresh ideas into Canada Basketball!

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
        Wouldn't lie. I remember the Everly Brothers first hit single, Presley, the Kennedy assassination, Leafs winning the Stanley Cup and the first men on the moon. Of them all, I think the Leaf Stanley Cup win was faked on a CBC back lot somewhere.
        lol - that is priceless.

Comment

Wiggins unavailable for Junior National team

There is a long existing pattern of behaviour where Canada's best players do not participate in national team programs.

http://www.basketball.ca/wiggins-wil...summer-p154154

It makes sense that Wiggins is preparing for his NBA career (via Kansas) at this point and Canada basketball doesn't fit into his plans.

Comment

I wonder how or in what way not playing for the national team improves his preparation for Kansas? Is there a prep camp for the Kansas team in the summer? I guess so.

I would have thought the drills and practises and coaching involved in national team play would be useful.

On the other hand I also expect it would involve getting ready to play the international style of ball, which admittedly would be different then NCAA ball.

Comment

So much for his "patriotism". We could even say the same with him signing Raptors if there still are Wiggins (in TDot) believers out there.
              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

I think more this...
                ...On the other hand I also expect it would involve getting ready to play the international style of ball, which admittedly would be different then NCAA ball.
                And less this...
                RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                So much for his "patriotism". We could even say the same with him signing Raptors if there still are Wiggins (in TDot) believers out there.
                Let's face it, doing well in the one year he will be with his university team can lead to several millions of dollars over the next 4 years (doing well with Kansas may mean getting picked 5-6 slots higher in the draft which is worth big dollars over the course of his rookie contract) whereas working out with the Canadian national team simply means he has to start from ground zero when he goes to Kansas.

Comment

Here we are:

http://zagsblog.com/andrew-wiggins/w...s-this-summer/

"Incoming Kansas freshman Andrew Wiggins won’t play for the Canadian U19 team at the World Championships in Prague but could still opt to play for the Canadian Senior National Team this summer.

“Currently, Andrew is preparing himself for his upcoming year at KU,” Rowan Barrett, executive vice-president and assistant general manager of Canada Basketball’s Senior Men’s program, told SNY.tv.

Barrett previously told Canada Basketball that, “at 18 years old, Andrew has a long basketball career ahead of him. Andrew’s decision to prepare himself this summer for the upcoming season is a decision we acknowledge. Our team will miss Andrew this summer, but we remain focused on Andrew’s long-term development and our organizational goals for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games and beyond.”

Comment

Here we are:

http://zagsblog.com/andrew-wiggins/w...s-this-summer/

"Incoming Kansas freshman Andrew Wiggins won’t play for the Canadian U19 team at the World Championships in Prague but could still opt to play for the Canadian Senior National Team this summer.

“Currently, Andrew is preparing himself for his upcoming year at KU,” Rowan Barrett, executive vice-president and assistant general manager of Canada Basketball’s Senior Men’s program, told SNY.tv.

Barrett previously told Canada Basketball that, “at 18 years old, Andrew has a long basketball career ahead of him. Andrew’s decision to prepare himself this summer for the upcoming season is a decision we acknowledge. Our team will miss Andrew this summer, but we remain focused on Andrew’s long-term development and our organizational goals for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games and beyond.”
                    Well your arguments are well argumented and make more sense,while mine was just subjective speculation. I'm with you on this. It's just that I'm from country where refusing to play for NT without serious reason is a big deal. Overreacted.

Comment

Well your arguments are well argumented and make more sense,while mine was just subjective speculation. I'm with you on this. It's just that I'm from country where refusing to play for NT without serious reason is a big deal. Overreacted.
                      More speculation: it could be a decision based on insurance or lack of it for a junior tournament. Wiggins may have some insurance while he practices and performs for Kansas. The NBA currently pays insurance for NBA players playing in FIBA tournaments which, of course, would not include Wiggins. It could be that Canada Basketball can not afford to insure Wiggins for any close to his potential earnings.

Tristan Thompson ran into insurance problems playing for the national team two summers ago when the NBA was not paying insurance for FIBA tournaments during the lockout.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                        More speculation: it could be a decision based on insurance or lack of it for a junior tournament. Wiggins may have some insurance while he practices and performs for Kansas. The NBA currently pays insurance for NBA players playing in FIBA tournaments which, of course, would not include Wiggins. It could be that Canada Basketball can not afford to insure Wiggins for any close to his potential earnings.

Tristan Thompson ran into insurance problems playing for the national team two summers ago when the NBA was not paying insurance for FIBA tournaments during the lockout.
                        May be the case as well

Comment

No problem. I feel much the same way. One one hand, Wiggins is going to make near 18 million dollars over the course of his rookie contract if he goes first and would make near 10 million dollars if drafted fifth, ignoring shoe deals etc. (which look to be worth $10 million). If playing for his national team somehow made him slip from 1st to 5th he still walks out of his third year with $20 million, enough to secure his own and his families future for the next generation if he is smart.

On the other hand he would be kissing off $8 million if he DID slip that far. So who am I to get on some kid for making a choice that would cost that kind of money. I might, 'cause I am not that smart with money and I think I would value playing for my country and the chance to have a big impact on the results.

On the other, other hand though, once his contract is secure, he can go ahead and represent Canada for years without losing anything. And he seems to be committed to the national program, by all accounts.

To some extent, the national program may have helped him with his development to this point. So maybe he will give some back. We can all hope so.

Comment

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/27...et-to-assemble

Informative article on the state of the mens national team as they prepare for World Cup qualification at the end of August.

It’s not yet clear exactly who will comprise Canada’s roster, but NBA players Tristan Thompson (Cleveland), Cory Joseph (San Antonio), Kelly Olynyk (Boston) and Joel Anthony (Miami) will be on hand.

No. 1 overall selection Anthony Bennett should make an appearance, but can’t play because he is still recovering from shoulder surgery.

Canada’s top prospect, Andrew Wiggins, is preparing for his freshman season at Kansas and has not yet decided if he will attend any parts of the camp.

His AAU teammate and good friend Tyler Ennis, the leading scorer at the recent FIBA U19 world championship, at which Canada finished sixth, is working with Syracuse (where he will take over point guard duties as a freshman) and Canada Basketball to see if he can attend camp.
                            I wonder if other players like Andy Rautins, Robert Sacre, and Dwight Powell will be involved. Canada's qualification is not a slam dunk as they need to finish in the top four in Venezuela to qualify.

Comment

It seems Olynyk won't be attending, because of the Celtics.

A shoulder injury will sideline NBA No. 1 draft pick Anthony Bennett while Canada’s second 2013 lottery pick, Kelly Olynyk has been forced out of the qualification tournament for the 2014 basketball World Cup.

“He’s so keen about wanting to play but the Celtics had some concerns,” national team head coach Jay Triano said of Olynyk, who has been with senior program since 2010.
                              http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...attending.html

I hate the fucking Celtics.

From the same article.

The list of 18 players invited to the Canadian men’s basketball team:
                              Jermaine Anderson, Guard, 6-2, Toronto
                              Joel Anthony, Centre, 6-9, Montreal
                              Olu Ashaolu, Forward, 6-7, Toronto
                              Junior Cadougan, Guard, 6-1, Toronto
                              Aaron Doornekamp Forward 6-6 Odessa, Ont.
                              Carl English Guard 6-5 St. John's, N.L.
                              Brady Heslip Guard 6-2 Burlington, Ont.
                              Cory Joseph Guard 6-3 Pickering, Ont.
                              Devoe Joseph Guard 6-4 Pickering, Ont.
                              Kris Joseph Forward 6-7 Montreal, Que.
                              Myck Kabongo Guard 6-1 Toronto, Ont.
                              Levon Kendall Forward 6-10 Vancouver, B.C.
                              Kyle Landry Forward 6-9 Calgary, Alta.
                              Andrew Nicholson Forward 6-9 Mississauga, Ont.
                              Andrew Rautins Guard 6-4 Syracuse, N.Y.
                              Philip Scrubb Guard 6-3 Richmond, B.C.
                              Jevohn Shepherd Forward, 6-5, Scarborough
                              Tristan Thompson, Forward, 6-9, Brampton
                              Wow, there's actually a guy named "Scrubb"...
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Jul 29, 2013, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Without Bennett and Olynyk, I'm actually kind of worried about their propsects of qualifying.

That is not a roster that screams 'dominance'.

Comment

Working...
                                X