Holy Crap! Jefferson Opts Out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Crap! Jefferson Opts Out!

Apparently not realizing he won't get anywhere close to the $15 million he's giving up, RIchard Jefferson has suddenly become a free agent. I'd be shocked if he gets more than the MLE, quite frankly. I don't know whether the Spurs are happy or not. On the one hand, they don't have to pay him all that money and are under the cap. On the other hand, they're only under the cap by something like $4 million, the don't have a lot of talented players under contract, and they could have used him in a trade.

I like Jefferson's game, but he had a bad year in San Antonio and is giving up more money than he'll probably get back. Bad move on his part.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Bah. There goes my Jefferson S&T scenario.

Jefferson must have been really unhappy in SA.

I would have taken him as an expiring contract, but not as an MLE signing. God the NBA is weird.

Comment

Whats the bet one of the teams that miss out on the sweepstakes will over pay him anyway?

Comment

I wonder if he just decided to do the right thing? He had a truly horrible season in San Antonio last year, maybe he just concedes that he's not worth 15 million dollars?
        I'm sure he realizes he's not getting that on the open market, but at this point in his career I'm sure he'd rather just latch on to a great team and try to win at least one ring.

Comment

Buford must have invited him for a drink and then laced it with go-goofy serum. How come the Spurs get "lucky" so often. Or Donnie Walsh promised him a 5 yr. deal at 16 per.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            Buford must have invited him for a drink and then laced it with go-goofy serum. How come the Spurs get "lucky" so often. Or Donnie Walsh promised him a 5 yr. deal at 16 per.
            WHile it will certainly save them money, I don't know if this is best for the Spurs. While Jefferson didn't live up to expectations, he played better at the end of the season they don't exactly have a lot of players under contract. It doesn't get them far enough under the cap to matter (they'd still only be able to use their MLE) and it takes away a piece that could have been used in a trade.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

maybe he was like i'm already a multi millionare now let's get some accolades and win me a championship.

i mean really it's not that difficult.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

OzRapFan wrote: View Post
                Whats the bet one of the teams that miss out on the sweepstakes will over pay him anyway?
                that will be a terrible decision for such team. he can not defend his position and rebound consistently. the number of times, pop got angry with r.j. was uncouintable especially during the playoffs.

Comment

One individual close to situation believes most likely scenario Richard Jefferson re-signs with SA for less money next year but multi years
                  about 1 hour ago via web
                  http://twitter.com/christomasson/status/17470840083
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Yeah, I think that's the case too. With the CBA ending next year (with worries of an extended lockout) and him getting up there in age, he leaves $15 M on the table for one year, but signs a multi-year contract that gets him around $20-30 M. I'd say that's better for him in the long run.

Or maybe he did it to jump on the bandwagon of whoever signs the best free agents. We'll find out.
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      Apparently not realizing he won't get anywhere close to the $15 million he's giving up, RIchard Jefferson has suddenly become a free agent. I'd be shocked if he gets more than the MLE, quite frankly. I don't know whether the Spurs are happy or not. On the one hand, they don't have to pay him all that money and are under the cap. On the other hand, they're only under the cap by something like $4 million, the don't have a lot of talented players under contract, and they could have used him in a trade.

I like Jefferson's game, but he had a bad year in San Antonio and is giving up more money than he'll probably get back. Bad move on his part.
                      I guess he feels he can make a lot more long term now than if he let that $15M one year remaining on the contract expire and then find a new deal under a new, much more restrict CBA.

Comment

Working...
                      X