Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Insider: Five lottery-to-playoffs acquisitions

I know this has been talked about ad nauseum, but I thought I'd share it:

Already this offseason, ESPN Insider has looked at NBA teams that could make a leap forward next year and those headed downward in the standings. Now we're considering the issue from a different perspective. What moves might teams make -- or not make -- that could cause them to head one direction or the other? After looking at possible scenarios that could spell trouble for five teams on Monday, we take the optimistic perspective with teams that could make moves to improve.
    Toronto Raptors: Signing Tyson Chandler

The task for new Raptors coach Dwane Casey is simple in theory but difficult in execution: fix a defense that ranked dead last in the league on a per-possession basis last season. Already Casey has suggested that Andrea Barganani will be moving from the center position, for which he was unfit, to power forward.

Toronto needs a defensive anchor in the middle, and the veteran Chandler -- who Casey coached as an assistant in Dallas before getting promoted -- would be a perfect fit, giving the team not only length at the position but also rebounding to make up for Bargnani's poor work on the glass.

Of course, the Raptors thought they were getting Chandler last summer, when the Charlotte Bobcats nixed a proposed deal at the last minute. Instead, Chandler ended up getting traded to the Mavericks, where he peaked at the right time and raised his value during Dallas' run to the championship. Now he is arguably the top prize on the free-agent market, which will make it difficult for Toronto to outbid other suitors.

I feel dirty saying this but at this stage of our development getting into the playoffs would be a mistake
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Not to mention dropping serious coin on a guy as inconsistent as Chandler.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Rename thread to lottery-to-mediocrity acquisitions.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Signing Chandler is small short term gain for large long term loss.

First, I don't think Chandler beside Bargnani is going to make a huge difference. Yes the team won't be as bad as this year (assuming he stays healthy), but it won't be that much better as to make this team more than a one and done team for (at best) a couple years. Bringing in Chandler 1) assumes that Bargnani is Dirk-like, which has been shown a hundred different times in a hundred different way is not true. 2) Chandler plays to his team. His best years were with hard working quality players on a team that had high expectations for themselves. When his teams were young, inexperienced and not going anywhere, he played down to their level. I honestly don't expect him to be as successful playing in Toronto as he did in Dallas or with the Hornets.

Secondly, these moves just mean less playing time for Ed and Amir, who should be the two PFs this team is moving forward with.

Finally, costing this team a better pick in the near future is a waste. While I'm rarely high on picks, I'd much rather have a 1-5 pick than a 10-18 pick any day of the week.

If, for some crazy reason, this team is (relatively) successful next season and it looks as if they may be able to make some noise... then grabbing Chandler (or a Chandler like player) closer to the deadline is probably a smart move. But as things stand, it should be trade Bargnani and stay the course. This team is still lacking too much in terms of real talent and experience to add any short term solutions.

Comment

*sigh* yeah, just unnecessary...I'm not even sure it would stunt our internal development that much, but man, we do not need to take on a big contract. He also gets frequent nagging injuries, has been inconsistent (as GarbageTime mentions, he often plays worse on bad teams), and last year was the first 70+ game season he played in 3 years. I think Chandler was huge for Dallas this year, but that was on a good team. He's not a stalwart big man who clogs up the paint. He's only twice managed to average >10 rpg, and never averaged 2 blocks, which at his length and athleticism is almost a crime. And don't talk to me about minutes, because if you play well you get minutes. He is not in any way an upgrade over Amir or Ed other than height. You could say experience, but other than last year he's done very little to show he's learned anything, and it's hard to tell how much of that last year was because of the team he was on.

Comment

I like the idea of grabbing a guy like Chandler, but not until after we score big in the 2012 draft. Can't keep losing forever. With Jonas, Derozan, Davis and a 2012 top 5 pick on board, and a host of other decent young prospects, chances are good someone out of that group emerges as an alpha dog, and solid vets will be a must.

Comment

Brasky wrote: View Post
                I like the idea of grabbing a guy like Chandler, but not until after we score big in the 2012 draft. Can't keep losing forever. With Jonas, Derozan, Davis and a 2012 top 5 pick on board, and a host of other decent young prospects, chances are good someone out of that group emerges as an alpha dog, and solid vets will be a must.
                You'd add Chandler on top of Davis, Amir and Valanciunas? Because you don't want any of the big men to play more than 25 mpg?
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

At still only 28 years, and arguably just as injury prone as Amir; I think I'd take Chandler over Amir.
                  If only for experience and Veteran leadership.

(If we're to choose between picking up Chandler, or keeping all of our 3 Bigs.)

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    At still only 28 years, and arguably just as injury prone as Amir; I think I'd take Chandler over Amir.
                    If only for experience and Veteran leadership.

(If we're to choose between picking up Chandler, or keeping all of our 3 Bigs.)
                    As injury prone as Amir??? Amir's only had one season where he was injured, this past one, and he only missed 10 games. How exactly is as injury prone as a guy who has missed, on average, 16 games a season because of injury in his 10 seasons? And while Chandler is a better player now, after 10 years in the league and not exactly an ironman, he's probably going to start declining. Amir's 24 and while he's been in the league 6 years, he doesn't have a lot of mileage on him. Add the fact that Chandler doesn't tend to do well on bad teams, I really don't know why you'd want him, especially over Amir.
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      I really don't know why you'd want him, especially over Amir.
                      "for experience and Veteran leadership." -joey_hesketh

Comment

Depends on how long we would want him around, and for what price. I think he would be a good mentor to JV, but we would likely have to overpay, as always. The best thing about him is that he brings the defensive attitude that Casey will be pushing. Having a veteran leader that has already bought into a system, that has proven to be effective could be a huge boost for our young guys.

Comment

Chandler wants to get paid. He loves to win but with the new CBA, he wants to get his second fat paycheque. I hope Toronto isn't the team to get him and ruin our development. JV in 2012 is a good direction. Getting Chandler is yet another attempt to deal with Bargnani's deficiencies. I'm tired of this argument and since JV's drafting, Tyson Chandler or another defensive big to pair with the Big Pasta never crosses my mind anymore.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

waste of time and money. and if casey is going to move bargnani to the PF position then i'm going to be pissed off big time. Why move bargs to the PF and let him eat up all of Ed's and Amir's playing time. I say trade him the first chance u get

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              "for experience and Veteran leadership." -joey_hesketh
                              I don't think Chandler is worth the twice as much money as you'd pay for Amir, especially considering you'd be purchasing a declining asset who's never performed well on bad teams, and has struggled throughout his career to remain healthy. Not when Amir has a very good long term contract, is only 24 and is just about as productive as Chandler is right now.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X