Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This advisory job seems to be just one conversation. The thread here already lasted longer.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      Nothing is etched in stone with regards to that Pistons 'job'. Flip Saunders for example was a consultant to the Celtics just last spring, and is now part owner/GM of the Timberwolves.

As long as he doesn't have a contract it means nothing.

The only interesting thing about all this is that the Pistons are in the Eastern conference and could be considered a rival to the Raptors (rival not being completely accurate, just that both teams have been terrible for a long time). This would be a great opportunity for Phil to sabotage another team by having them hire a crappy coach.
      If I remeber right Saunders was basically an assistant coach during the playoffs, but without such a title because of the status of the position. I don't remember if he was on the bench during games, he did most probably in preparing for games with Rivers.

Comment

[QUOTE=white men can't jump;206473]
        The team has also never had ownership that actually cared about winning. So yeah, I would say how the organization was run was the biggest problem.
        You know I've often contemplated what you stated there, and have been itching to start a discussion on the topic. I'm sure many of you are perhaps sick of discussing it, but as a recent addition to the RR membership, I have maybe missed out on those conversations.

When I look at how the Leafs have been run in recent memory it's been almost too clear that putting a winning product on the ice was not a priority, well, at least thats what I suspected. I just couldn't chaulk it up to making bad decisions regarding trades and signing contracts and what not, or just bad decisions in terms of acquiring GM's or coaches. I mean, the Leafs are the biggest hockey market, but for so many years not being able to put a competitive product on the ice could only lead one to believe that winning wasn't the priority. The lack of success with the Raptors also provided evidence. I know little of the MLS and Toronto FC, so I will ignore that situation.

So, when Bell/Rogers acquired MLSE (correct me if I am wrong but I do believe the communications combo are the majority owners) I was optimistic that the culture within the organization would change (if, in fact, that was the problem) and the production of a winning product would be a priority. I can't see how a winning product would hurt profits, especially considering the other interests that Bell/Rogers have and how a winning product would help those interests, and the market potential in TO.

I also understand that some major changes have happened with the Toronto FC. I haven't read much about it, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume these changes are geared towards producing a more competitive product on the pitch and providing fans with something worth cheering for.

So, when I see the acquisition of a Tim Leiweke it gives me hope that the culture of all MLSE may be changing and that the priority for this organization will be to win, not just to produce a profitable product, but a competitive one as well. And I hope this affects the Raptors culture to the fullest extent. I have never really felt that the organization was commited to winning. Given all the poor management decisions made over the years I couldn't help but be skeptical. And I often wondered if it was non-basketball people just hiring the wrong basketball people to make the basketball decisions, or if the non-basketball people even cared about the decisions the bball managers were making as long as the company turned a nice profit.

Given that Leiweke is a basketball guy it gives me optimism that this organization is turning the corner. Does anyone else feel this way? Does the new ownership group give you confidence that a championship is coming to Toronto sometime sooner rather than later? Do you believe that the Raps will improve in this scenario?

As for Phil, I really don't believe he will be coming here, it's just too good to be true. But if he does, it will certainly be an indication of the influence that Leiweke has, and his ability to make moves that can bring great people into the organization. And there is no way that Phil would not be a positive influence on the Raps org., in any role, whether Pres or GM or just as a consultant. If he gets hired and people listen to his advice, good things will happen.

Comment

Leiweke had me at "I want to talk championships and bring, championships to Toronto"

its like that hot girl walking in and asking for your phone number, and you havent said a word... Bad analogy?

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
            Leiweke had me at "I want to talk championships and bring, championships to Toronto"

its like that hot girl walking in and asking for your phone number, and you havent said a word... Bad analogy?
            bad analogy
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
              I know little of the MLS and Toronto FC, so I will ignore that situation.
              i know a bit about it... as i should.. i'm a season ticket holder..

the TFC situation is a shambles, to say the least.

They're consistently AWFUL.. i mean, REALLY bad.. even by MLS's extremely low standards.. and any glimmer of hope is usually snuffed out pretty quickly

Last season, we replaced our head coach, with a somewhat competent coach who seemed to have a lot of promise... the team didn't do much better due to a lack of talent, but you could tell team systems were being put in place that would have improved the team in the long run, and most of us were looking forward to him starting fresh on a new season...

he was fired.

they hired a new head coach, Ryan Nelsen, who was an active PLAYER on QPR last year.... ya, not a soul thought that was a good idea..

to give you an idea of how bad the TFC situation is... this past offseason, in fear of ticket holders dropping out due to the continued crapness of the club.. they announced that existing seat holders would be able to renew their seats for Year One prices..

and that is the only reason i'm still a seat holder.. 4th row season seats, for the price of 4 brand new PS3 games....

and once again... we're pretty shit... a couple of days ago, we lost to Montreal (who only entered the league last year) 6-0

AND, worst of all.... they replaced the Carlsberg at BMO Field with Budweiser.

it's a pretty bad scene
              Last edited by heinz57; Fri May 3, 2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post

They're consistently AWFUL.. i mean, REALLY bad.. even by MLS's extremely low standards.. and any glimmer of hope is usually snuffed out pretty quickly

Last season, we replaced our head coach, with a somewhat competent coach who seemed to have a lot of promise... the team didn't do much better due to a lack of talent, but you could tell team systems were being put in place that would have improved the team in the long run, and most of us were looking forward to him starting fresh on a new season...

he was fired.

they hired a new head coach, Ryan Nelsen, who was an active PLAYER on QPR last year.... ya, not a soul thought that was a good idea..

to give you an idea of how bad the TFC situation is... this past offseason, in fear of ticket holders dropping out due to the continued crapness of the club.. they announced that existing seat holders would be able to renew their seats for Year One prices..

and that is the only reason i'm still a seat holder.. 4th row season seats, for the price of 4 brand new PS3 games....

and once again... we're pretty shit... a couple of days ago, we lost to Montreal (who only entered the league last year) 6-0

it's a pretty bad scene
                You forgot at the end...

Tits.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

he was fired.

it's a pretty bad scene
                  Wow, things have really gone to shit

Comment

ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                    You forgot at the end...

Tits.
                    clearly, you have not been to a TFC game.

quality tits.. extremely hard to come by there

it's the only place i've ever been chastised for objectifying women when i loudly complained about the distinct lack of tang.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                      clearly, you have not been to a TFC game.

quality tits.. extremely hard to come by there

it's the only place i've ever been chastised for objectifying women when i loudly complained about the distinct lack of tang.
                      Well, I live in Vancouver, so it's pretty obvious why I haven't been to a TFC game.

And, I commented "tits" cause it's your everyday calling.

Tits.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                        Well, I live in Vancouver, so it's pretty obvious why I haven't been to a TFC game.

And, I commented "tits" cause it's your everyday calling.
                        you're absolutely right, and i will heed your advice and venture to the titty bar tonight. i wasn't going to go, but your sage advice has steered my mind to fulfill the desire for titties.

i thank you.. my libido thanks you.. and a few young ladies who are "putting themselves through law school" thank you

Comment

• This could mean a lot, it may mean nothing, no way to tell. Let's stress about this and have heart attacks earlier in life.
                          Last edited by Apollo; Wed May 8, 2013, 12:47 PM. Reason: iphone....

Comment

• Ramona Shelburne: Phil turned down Nets, but source tells ESPN he's still open to possibility of coaching if he "has say in the roster." Twitter @ramonashelburne

Ramona Shelburne: Phil's been pretty clear. He wants influence over a franchise a la Riley in Miami. Prefers front office, but would coach if he's got power. Twitter @ramonashelburne

Ramona Shelburne: If he doesn't have influence over franchise, source says Phil might just stay retired for now. Twitter @ramonashelburne
                            All via HoopsHype.com

3 birds with one stone!

Phil Jackson: President, GM, and Coach

Comment

• Why is the process taking so long? Why hasn't MLSE made a decision on Colangelo? Other teams are moving quickly, getting their GM/coaching situations nailed down and moving forward.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                                Why is the process taking so long? Why hasn't MLSE made a decision on Colangelo? Other teams are moving quickly, getting their GM/coaching situations nailed down and moving forward.
                                I think we'll hear an announcement any moment this week. The fact that unlike other teams, Raps. have taken some time could mean that consideration is being given to retaining BC.
                                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X