Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Hope For Triano's Coaching Style This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Hope For Triano's Coaching Style This Year?

Obviously we have such a different bench this year. All last year I loved the fact the raptors picked up players with much more emphasis on the inside game, but i harped at the fact triano kept with a shooting play style throughout the year. this year's bench is even more inside focused than last years ... do you guys think triano will finally let these players do what they do best? or will he continue to rely on his starters and hope to god they can pull off good perimeter percentage this year?

They're going to have to have both an inside and outside game for the to be sucessful. I think and hoping that Triano will let them do what they do best and let young players like DeRozan, Weems and Davis to find themselves. The only reason DeRozan didn't live up to the hype was because he was playing like in NBA 2K10 My Player Mode, just playing to the objective of his coaches.

But this team has a lot of potential with the running game. DeRozan and Weems on the wing, that's going to be a point guards dream on the fast break. That's where I think the Raptors will get most of their points from. Looking at the highlights from the LVSL Ed Davis is capable to play inside. They also now have Barbosa who can cut inside but also shoot the outside.

I think the Raptors are pretty balanced this year. DeRozan improved his shot. Like I said in many other posts, the Raptors aren't even that bad.

Comment

Well, considering that the Raptors had one of the best offenses in the league, it's hard to criticize Triano for anything he did on that end of the court.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
        Obviously we have such a different bench this year. All last year I loved the fact the raptors picked up players with much more emphasis on the inside game, but i harped at the fact triano kept with a shooting play style throughout the year. this year's bench is even more inside focused than last years ... do you guys think triano will finally let these players do what they do best? or will he continue to rely on his starters and hope to god they can pull off good perimeter percentage this year?
        If MLSE and Bryan Colangelo are trying to train him as an NBA coach, sure, keep him and train him.

If they are as serious as they're talking about winning? NO.

Not a chance.
        "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
        ~Rorschach

Comment

Rap Challenger wrote: View Post
          If MLSE and Bryan Colangelo are trying to train him as an NBA coach, sure, keep him and train him.

If they are as serious as they're talking about winning? NO.

Not a chance.
          Well, first of all, the Raptors aren't winning next season whether they have Jay Triano or Phil Jackson. I can certainly see Triano eventually guiding the Raptors to contention, if they make the right personnel moves.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            Well, first of all, the Raptors aren't winning next season whether they have Jay Triano or Phil Jackson. I can certainly see Triano eventually guiding the Raptors to contention, if they make the right personnel moves.
            Jay possesses neither the experience or the track record. I'll grant you, sure, it takes time to establish the track record, and it depends on the roster, ya da ya da ya da.

BUT, this guy does not hail from any meaningful experience or success at the collegiate level (no, coaching SFU in the NAIU or whatever the heck it's called doesn't count). He had one coaching bright spot with the Canadian Men's Olympic team, which also featured the soon thereafter, two time NBA MVP playing PG). I can see most NBA coaches "guiding to contention" if they make the right personnel moves.

I have also seen NBA coaches turn unimpressive rosters into contenders too. Larry Brown and Scott Skiles are the first couple names that come to mind.

My contention is we ought to reconsider our coaching decision if we are a) serious about winning, and b) wanting to maximize the development potential of this roster. To me, Jay is not the guy for that job.
            "Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."
            ~Rorschach

Comment

Rap Challenger wrote: View Post
              Jay possesses neither the experience or the track record. I'll grant you, sure, it takes time to establish the track record, and it depends on the roster, ya da ya da ya da.

BUT, this guy does not hail from any meaningful experience or success at the collegiate level (no, coaching SFU in the NAIU or whatever the heck it's called doesn't count). He had one coaching bright spot with the Canadian Men's Olympic team, which also featured the soon thereafter, two time NBA MVP playing PG). I can see most NBA coaches "guiding to contention" if they make the right personnel moves.

I have also seen NBA coaches turn unimpressive rosters into contenders too. Larry Brown and Scott Skiles are the first couple names that come to mind.

My contention is we ought to reconsider our coaching decision if we are a) serious about winning, and b) wanting to maximize the development potential of this roster. To me, Jay is not the guy for that job.
              There's no magic formula for a good coach. He's well respected for a reason, and has spent his entire adult life around basketball, including playing professionally, and coaching at various levels. He's had a year and a half as a head coach in the NBA, so he's got more experience than Larry Bird did when he became head coach for the Pacers. Butch Carter certainly didn't have any more experience than Triano did when they became head coaches.

And different coaches have different strengths. Some coaches are good at getting mediocre players to play well, but have trouble long term, or getting to the next level. Mike Fratello is a perfect example of this. His teams generally overperform, but they tend to tune him out after a while. His style of coaching doesn't let him last all that long, and he's never been able to coach his team past the second round of the playoffs. Same goes for Scott Skiles, who is the flavour of the month for Raptor fans now, but who don't seem to remember his last coaching stint in Chicago.

Larry Brown is a Hall of Fame coach, and if the Raptors can get a Hall of Fame coach, I'd be all for firing Triano. I don't see that happening, though, at this point.

Triano's style of coaching serves him well for the long term. He doesn't grate on players, doesn't alienate them and has their respect. He's an incredibly smart coach who is learning on the job, but he's in a situation where he can do that.
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Jay "Mr No Accountability" is a very poor choice for a team leader and a direct reflection of the GM's mentality for hype over substance ie hiring a Canadian head coach would be good PR. I wouldn't follow Jay into any kind of battle let alone depend on him to lead men into battle 82 times a year and expect winning results- especially without Bosh & Barg's still starting at center. Jay's nonchalant(break a clip board over your knee?lol), laissez-faire approach to coaching killed this team during last season's playoff stretch run ie I liked the effort, in an effortless blowout loss to Chicago. Both Jack and Wright wondered aloud why certain players ie Bargnani, were being allowed to make mistake after mistake(defensive rotations) without any type of coaching correction during film sessions or benching during games- now Barg's is BC's Franchise player? When players see that type of untenable balderdash your locker room credibility is shot- in one ear out the other. They can see that the Raptor Emperor (coach) wears no clothes.

Not to mention that Jay is just a puppet coach who does his Svengali GM's bidding no questions asked. Toronto needs a coach that will motivate, lite a fire under these guys for 82 games plus playoffs- Jay is better suited (wears too tight suits on the sidelines at that) as an elementary school principal. Jay may be a really good guy but he's not cut out to be a NBA head coach ie See it, Believe it, Acheive it- save all that dry drama drag as this isn't a bunch of self motivated US Olympic team NBA All Stars out for a Gold medal who need very little motivation- these are the Raptors!!! Toronto needs an experienced head coach who commands the respect of his players not trying to be their buddy, buddy. If Skiles was TO's head coach they would be playing alot differently or on the bench but not in TO where they play contracts instead over effort- don't worry be happy.

Winning starts at the top and trickles down as does BS- do the Raptor GM/HC math.

Comment

SirChillyMost wrote: View Post
                  Jay "Mr No Accountability" is a very poor choice for a team leader and a direct reflection of the GM's mentality for hype over substance ie hiring a Canadian head coach would be good PR.
                  Yes, because hiring an inadequate coach simply because he's Canadian makes great PR!

I wouldn't follow Jay into any kind of battle let alone depend on him to lead men into battle 82 times a year and expect winning results- especially without Bosh & Barg's still starting at center.
                  Well, I for one, am thankful you are not playing for the Raptors

Jay's nonchalant(break a clip board over your knee?lol), laissez-faire approach to coaching killed this team during last season's playoff stretch run ie I liked the effort, in an effortless blowout loss to Chicago. Both Jack and Wright wondered aloud why certain players ie Bargnani, were being allowed to make mistake after mistake(defensive rotations) without any type of coaching correction during film sessions or benching during games- now Barg's is BC's Franchise player? When players see that type of untenable balderdash your locker room credibility is shot- in one ear out the other. They can see that the Raptor Emperor (coach) wears no clothes.
                  Funny, I thought Bosh's injuries pretty much derailed the team's playoff hopes. I must have been watching a different team.

Not to mention that Jay is just a puppet coach who does his Svengali GM's bidding no questions asked. Toronto needs a coach that will motivate, lite a fire under these guys for 82 games plus playoffs- Jay is better suited (wears too tight suits on the sidelines at that) as an elementary school principal. Jay may be a really good guy but he's not cut out to be a NBA head coach ie See it, Believe it, Acheive it- save all that dry drama drag as this isn't a bunch of self motivated US Olympic team NBA All Stars out for a Gold medal who need very little motivation- these are the Raptors!!! Toronto needs an experienced head coach who commands the respect of his players not trying to be their buddy, buddy. If Skiles was TO's head coach they would be playing alot differently or on the bench but not in TO where they play contracts instead over effort- don't worry be happy.

Winning starts at the top and trickles down as does BS- do the Raptor GM/HC math.
                  You kind of start losing your argument when you talk about how Triano doesn't "look" like an NBA head coach, and that he should be an elementary school principal. And it does appear he had the respect of the majority of his players. He made a few mistakes early in the season, but I don't think I've seen a team yet where a player didn't openly question a coach. Even Phil Jackson and Jerry Sloan have had players do that. it comes with the territory.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                  X