Gauging the 2012 Draft pick - and how the Raptors move forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tbihis wrote: View Post
    Do you think there's a sense of urgency for the Raptors with this pick? Should they be thinking that with this pick, the team should improve drastically and at least be a playoff team?
    I believe that the Raps are expecting to get at least a solid rotation player who is good at both ends of the court and who can contribute offensively more consistently than Ed Davis has done so far.

I think Davis, MKG, Barnes and Beal are the top picks.

However, it sounds like MKG is serious about staying in school, so he might not be an option.

Davis plays at the position/role that the Raps are strongest at: a defensive minded PF. The Raps have Valanciunas coming in to play C and he is primarily defensive-minded, with the expectation of becoming a defensive anchor. If Bargnani's games played this season are legit, then he is an all-star PF who creates lots of offensive mismatches. If the Raps win the lottery and I'm BC, I would seriously look at trading the #1 overall pick for another top-5/10 draft pick (to get Barnes, MKG or Beal) along with another asset (ie: later 1st round pick, future 1st round pick, good young prospect or proven rotation player).

I think Barnes will be better than his play is showing so far this season, largely because he hasn't had to press too hard to be too much on a good NC squad. He is a good shooter and has the tools to be a good defender, plus he seems to have a high BBIQ.

I also like Beal and think his slick outside shooting, great handles and great court vision (from the couple games I've seen) could translate into a very solid NBA guard. As some have mentioned, I wonder how he would be at PG, since he seems to be very calm under pressure and has the handles and vision that the position requires. I would put him 3rd on my list after MKG/Barnes, but the NCAA tourney could change that.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Mar 9, 2012, 04:53 PM.

Comment

At first glance, Beal's game kind of reminds me of Eric Gordon's.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Maybe Beal's our PG of the future

Based on a few YouTube videos, his offensive arsenal already seems more diverse than DeRozan's. So if he's drafted, more decisions are required. There's no point in having Beal and DeRozan as SGs.
        No i'd keep him at SG. But consider this, with his skills you could start a big defensive PG beside him (George Hill?) and run the offense through him, especially at the end of games. In regards to Derozen, i'd start him at SF. He's proven to be more effective there, especially when he works his postup game. JJ would come off the bench, giving the second unit a solid shot of energy and defense. On games where DeMar lollygags, JJ gets his minutes.

A lineup of:
        Hill/FA or Drafted
        Beal/Forbesy
        Demar/JJ/Kleiza
        Bargs/Ed/Amir
        Big Val/Gray

I like that lineup a lot. You've got shooters at every position and enough defense to cover up Demar who's actually been playing decent D lately. Bench is strong, in fact you could still trade Amir or Ed and be effective.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          No i'd keep him at SG. But consider this, with his skills you could start a big defensive PG beside him (George Hill?) and run the offense through him, especially at the end of games. In regards to Derozen, i'd start him at SF. He's proven to be more effective there, especially when he works his postup game. JJ would come off the bench, giving the second unit a solid shot of energy and defense. On games where DeMar lollygags, JJ gets his minutes.

A lineup of:
          Hill/FA or Drafted
          Beal/Forbesy
          Demar/JJ/Kleiza
          Bargs/Ed/Amir
          Big Val/Gray

I like that lineup a lot. You've got shooters at every position and enough defense to cover up Demar who's actually been playing decent D lately. Bench is strong, in fact you could still trade Amir or Ed and be effective.
          Not to be a dick but George Hill is only 6'2" and 180lbs according to his ESPN profile.

I get what you are saying though. A guard like Jason Kidd (defensively speaking) or Kirk Hinrich are pretty big. Too bad they are both on the tail ends of their careers.

Comment

Really he's only 6'2? He looks a lot bigger. He certainly defends bigger than his size. Hinrich is another guy i'd roll with, though. Especially if you drafted a PG, he could mentor him.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

A lineup of:
              Hill/FA or Drafted
              Beal/Forbesy
              Demar/JJ/Kleiza
              Bargs/Ed/Amir
              Big Val/Gray

If your going to get a big pg i would say if possible get Rodney Stuckey
              Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

Yeah but I said PG
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

fair enough
                  Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

If the balls fall in place today I'd say the draft would go

Charlotte Anthony Davis
                    New Orleans Drummond
                    Washington Robinson
                    Nets MGK

And then depending on where the Raptors are placed between the 5-7 picks, I'd think they'd take one of Barnes, Beal, and Lamb in that order depending on who is available

Comment

The thing with Beal is his game is more tailored for the NBA, too. He's good at what he does in college but he's going to be awesome in the NBA. I've heard rumblings of teams wanting to possibly convert him to PG since his ball handling and court vision are so good.
                      Austin Rivers is the same guy. A lot of players in college have NBA-fit games. I.E Beal, Rivers, Lamb, Barnes... etc.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Checkines wrote: View Post
                        If the balls fall in place today I'd say the draft would go

Charlotte Anthony Davis
                        New Orleans Drummond
                        Washington Robinson
                        Nets MGK

And then depending on where the Raptors are placed between the 5-7 picks, I'd think they'd take one of Barnes, Beal, and Lamb in that order depending on who is available
                        Under the current lottery system, which has been in place since 1990, the worst team has a 1 in 4 chance of landing the first pick. It usually does not go that way as the worst has won only four times in 27 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          Maybe we can save this thread for when we know who the specific player is. The criteria we use to measure success will largely depend on what position he plays.
                          Their biggest problem for years has been no consistent (reliable) shooter down the stretch of games - not defence. Triano tried to compensate by outscoring the opposition. Casey has finally publicly and correctly stated what they desperately need. This is a particularly difficult draft because the stars seems to be scattered throughout instead of in a neat smallish clique. They say people don't become good shooters once they enter the NBA (exceptions). Don't know who they should draft but sincerely hope they can shoot down the stretch and play some defence. I believe these are the parameters their drafting should be judged on unless they see a real gem in another direction (possibly MKG????).

Comment

Draft wrote: View Post
                            Their biggest problem for years has been no consistent (reliable) shooter down the stretch of games - not defence. Triano tried to compensate by outscoring the opposition. Casey has finally publicly and correctly stated what they desperately need. This is a particularly difficult draft because the stars seems to be scattered throughout instead of in a neat smallish clique. They say people don't become good shooters once they enter the NBA (exceptions). Don't know who they should draft but sincerely hope they can shoot down the stretch and play some defence. I believe these are the parameters their drafting should be judged on unless they see a real gem in another direction (possibly MKG????).
                            If we need a shooter and producer instantly, than Barnes or Lamb is our guy. But if we want an overall player, Beal or MKG. I mostly prefer to have Beal or MKG though.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Overall you go miller. I think he is everything you want at the 3 he has a chance to be a great player

Comment

Yes I know that, I guess I should have typed it more clear, I meant if the balls fell the way they theoretically supposed to go. The Raptors had at the time I posted the exact odds as Detroit and Sacremento and meant I would expect them to draft in that range and would expect them to draft one of those three players

Comment

Working...
                                X