Terrence Ross for Ed Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrence Ross for Ed Davis

Raptors need another big, Memphis needs perimeter shooting.

I'd do this in a heartbeat, except that Davis is heading into the last year of his rookie contract. Toronto would have a great shot at re-signing him (he likes it here), but what will his next deal cost?

"We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

S.R. wrote: View Post

I'd do this in a heartbeat, except that Davis is heading into the last year of his rookie contract. Toronto would have a great shot at re-signing him (he likes it here), but what will his next deal cost?

I'd say wait for free agency.

If there is a team likely to nickel and dime it is Memphis.

Comment

They traded Darrell Arthur to free up more time for Ed Davis. And with Randolph getting up there in age, I don't see Memphis wanting to trade him. The traded for him for a reason.

Comment

I like Ed, but do the Raps really need another PF? I don't think they do more than they need to see if Ross makes any improvements in his 2nd year. After all, Ed is a free agent after this year, and Ross is locked in for up to 3 more seasons on his rookie deal. They need more help on the perimeter than at the PF spot, and they need to see if Ross' shooting can be a threat.

And back to the PF spot...the Raps have Amir, Hansbrough, Quincy and Novak all slotted as PFs. Amir will play some minutes at C, but Gray will also get backup minutes against all really big guys. I think the team needs another big body that can play as a legit C, and hopefully be a bit more athletic and/or skilled than Gray.

So especially given Ed's contract status, this just makes no sense to me.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
          They traded Darrell Arthur to free up more time for Ed Davis. And with Randolph getting up there in age, I don't see Memphis wanting to trade him. The traded for him for a reason.
          Well, they also traded Darrell Arthur for Kosta Koufos, maybe the ideal backup for Marc Gasol.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            I like Ed, but do the Raps really need another PF? I don't think they do more than they need to see if Ross makes any improvements in his 2nd year. After all, Ed is a free agent after this year, and Ross is locked in for up to 3 more seasons on his rookie deal. They need more help on the perimeter than at the PF spot, and they need to see if Ross' shooting can be a threat.

And back to the PF spot...the Raps have Amir, Hansbrough, Quincy and Novak all slotted as PFs. Amir will play some minutes at C, but Gray will also get backup minutes against all really big guys. I think the team needs another big body that can play as a legit C, and hopefully be a bit more athletic and/or skilled than Gray.

So especially given Ed's contract status, this just makes no sense to me.
            If you had Davis ready to sign his next contract, it would be worth it. Out of all the Raps bigs, you just mentioned a lot of roster filler. JV and Amir are the only "building blocks" at the 4/5 - Davis would be a 3rd piece you'd like to keep long term. The rest are interchangeable parts, easily acquired and easily replaced.

I'd rather have Davis as the 3rd big than Ross as the 3rd wing (a spot he hasn't even played his way into yet).
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

If you had Davis ready to sign his next contract, it would be worth it. Out of all the Raps bigs, you just mentioned a lot of roster filler. JV and Amir are the only "building blocks" at the 4/5 - Davis would be a 3rd piece you'd like to keep long term. The rest are interchangeable parts, easily acquired and easily replaced.

I'd rather have Davis as the 3rd big than Ross as the 3rd wing (a spot he hasn't even played his way into yet).
              The question isn't actually that straight up, because it's actually do you think Ed will earn more PT than Amir or Tyler? If he won't, a real possibility given that other than shotblocking, Ed is still a pretty bad defender, then what's the point of throwing away an asset? No offense to Ed, but he hasn't played into being a 3rd big either. He was for a pretty bad team. And he played well last year when he had no competition for minutes. In Memphis he couldn't play good enough D for Hollins to want to play him ahead of Darrell Arthur. Ed has never really fulfilled his promise as he's clearly got some talent. But it's nobody's fault but his own (and bad luck with some injuries) that he has barely developed his game since coming into the league.

I think it's easier to find an average sized athletic PF without many offensive options than it is to find a wing with Ross' shooting potential, defensive potential and athleticism. Ross may never fulfill his potential, but I value what he would bring to the rotation more than what Ed would given the Raps have 2 PFs that are at least as solid, and I'd say based on track record that they've both been obviously better than Ed so far.

Comment

Working...
              X