No announcement yet.

Would you rather Lin or Bayless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..and I'd take Lin. In the long run, Bayless would probably be cheaper in terms of salary, but when was the last time the Air Canada Centre was packed to see Jerryd Bayless? The exposure the Raptors would get with Lin on the team would be ridiculous - and there would be a lot more people at the ACC, creating more of an atmosphere. It doesn't hurt that Lin is a solid player. It's really a 2-fold thing.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      You must have missed the beginning of the question: "Assuming you had no other PG choice....."

Whoops..

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
        ..and I'd take Lin. In the long run, Bayless would probably be cheaper in terms of salary, but when was the last time the Air Canada Centre was packed to see Jerryd Bayless? The exposure the Raptors would get with Lin on the team would be ridiculous - and there would be a lot more people at the ACC, creating more of an atmosphere. It doesn't hurt that Lin is a solid player. It's really a 2-fold thing.
        they correct way to gain exposure is to perform at a higher rate. this is not a popularity contest, i prefer to stick with bayless he's more reliable and has a higher ceiling imo. speaking of popularity contests, if we got lin it would mean a ton of all star games because of the flood of votes coming in from asia. ^_^
        We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          You must have missed the beginning of the question: "Assuming you had no other PG choice....."

I still say neither.

Not to over-dramatize the question, but it's like asking how one wants to die .... A bullet to the head, or one to the heart.
          Empirically speaking.
          lol

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
            they correct way to gain exposure is to perform at a higher rate. this is not a popularity contest, i prefer to stick with bayless he's more reliable and has a higher ceiling imo. speaking of popularity contests, if we got lin it would mean a ton of all star games because of the flood of votes coming in from asia. ^_^
            Lol but that's only for starters in the all-star game, there's no way they'd allow Lin to start over Rose or something.

But you never know... remember what happened in 2010 with A.I.?

Comment

Its funny how you mention seats being filled as a primary reason as to why we should sign Lin. As a marketer, it makes a whole lot of sense for BC to sign Lin. There are ??endless?? possibilities for Lin's marketing exposure. BUT, the caveat is winning. Can he elevate himself and the team so that we start winning. I don't think Lin can carry a team on his own, now that the scouting report is out, throughout the course of the season. Not saying that Bayless could, but thats not the point.

Ultimately i feel that signing Lin would be the worst possible scenario for the hard core raptors fans. I mean the Leafs are an excellent example of this. They are mediocre yet they sell out. Thats because the arena is usually filled with business tickets and that is why Leafs tickets can be sold at such high prices. Now if Lin comes in, the ticket sales would immediately increase and business alike would start purchasing seasons tickets for their clients/employees and us, the regular, fans won't be able to afford to buy the tickets.

Comment

In my opinion, as fans, no one should be listing marketing as a reason they want Lin here. More money to MLSE doesn't benefit we the fans at all because the team is already profitable.

Comment

Bayless...as somebody indicated, gutting our money for branding purposes is bad for the box score. The money we save with the comparable Bayless can be reallocated to improve the team in another area.

Comment

Gman wrote: View Post
                    Bayless...as somebody indicated, gutting our money for branding purposes is bad for the box score. The money we save with the comparable Bayless can be reallocated to improve the team in another area.
                    Quote of the thread!

My sentiments exactly - except Gman managed to wrap it up in 2 lines whereas I would have written a short novel.

Comment

Honestly, I would say neither of them.. But if there are no other choices then Bayless > Lin for me. I dont really like Lin and I assume he will be wayy overpriced after the hype and attention he received..

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        If I could hand out equal contracts in the $4-5M range, then I might be willing to roll the dice with Lin...
                        Agreed. Pretending salaries are equal, I prefer the way Lin plays PG, than Bayless.

But I don't like the idea of back-loading a contract offer in order to pry Lin away from New York. After all, Lin is an unproven commodity, and the last thing we want is another ugly Turkoglu-like contract, which would take a miracle to unload if Lin ends up being utter garbage.

Comment

If the Raptors pick up Bayless' QO and sign him long term, you're probably looking at 4 million per season for 3-4 seasons. Lin will cost 5-6 million per. Now talent level being a wash from what we've seen, would you rather the team playing before a full house with great fan support or 60-65% full? The players will tell you that they'd rather play before a full house. That's what Lin brings. That's the difference between the two and it should play a huge factor in deciding as to whether or not to sign him.

Comment

If the Raptors pick up Bayless' QO and sign him long term, you're probably looking at 4 million per season for 3-4 seasons. Lin will cost 5-6 million per. Now talent level being a wash from what we've seen, would you rather the team playing before a full house with great fan support or 60-65% full? The players will tell you that they'd rather play before a full house. That's what Lin brings. That's the difference between the two and it should play a huge factor in deciding as to whether or not to sign him.
                            Lin will cost $5M his first 2 seasons. The problem is in year 3 and 4, he is going to cost $12 and $13M.

Comment

This thread is forgetting one important point: Bayless is NOT a point guard.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                This thread is forgetting one important point: Bayless is NOT a point guard.
                                Do not forget this thread is based on Chisholm's article at TSN.ca where he provided these stats with his rationale:

First, some stats. Here are Lin's numbers as a starter this year for the Knicks:

25 games, 18.2 ppg, 7.7 apg, 4.7 TOpg, 3.7 rpg, .445 FG%, .343 3PFG%

Now, here are the numbers Bayless posted as a starter in his two years with Toronto:

25 games, 18.0 ppg, 6.1 apg, 2.6 TOpg, 3.3 rpg, .460 FG%, .383 3PFG%
                                Stats are not the full answer but they do provide insight.

Bayless shoots a higher percentage with fewer turnovers and less assists. Both have shown willingness and ability to take and hit big shots.

Personally I'd sacrifice an assist and a half to save 2 turnovers.

Watching Lin a few times I saw a ball dominant guard - same as Bayless. The sample size on watching Lin is ridiculously small though in terms of full games.

(*personally, I'd prefer neither but that is not an option here*)

Comment

Working...
                                X