The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Payton Declared.McDermott may be more valuable as trade bait if he falls than to the Raptors. Any SF in the Raptors will be the fourth option after Lowry, DD/Ross and Val. If nothing looks good at #20 trade out

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Whoa! Payton declared less than 48 hours ago. I still stand by my belief that he wouldn't declare without some sort of first round guarantee. Interesting to see who it is...

No doubt any player the Raps draft is starting on the bench. There's quite a few teams with multiple picks (like the Suns). Maybe trading up (after all the drama of team's coveting picks this year) is a better option than trading out of the draft.

Comment

• If nothing is enticing trade #20 to Philly for Thad Young - Fields/Novak/Hayes they are 10 mil under the minimum. If Grant and McDanials are gone nothing is worth more than Young pick up a later pick and grab Payton late First

Comment

• I wonder, since they have two late firsts, if the thunder wouldn't be viable trade partners. Can't think of a deal off the top of my head (SAC 2nd for their later 1st?) but could potentially help them save some $$ on guaramteed moneys
        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• Thunder could but they don't have anything to offer other than the puck and they have no cap space to dump contracts. A late first is good because I think the spurs would grab Payton #30 over Napier everyone else takes Napier over Payton

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            I doubt he falls this far, but, I hope that if he does that the Raps scouts have a strong grasp on whether he has enough lateral quickness to improve his defense. All of the SF prospects seem to be flawed either offensively, or defensively this year.

Also 999 I disagree, McDermott is a lot more than a spot up jump shooter, the kid has an extremely high B-Ball IQ, can play out of the post, etc. Not sure that he fits the Raptors, but he has to be on a higher tier of player than any of the other players remaining in the SI mock draft.
            I have a hard time envisioning McDermott as a Raptors pick, but I think you're right about him being in a higher tier than most other players remaining in the SI mock. The one exception to that is Capela. Draftexpress certainly thinks that some teams have Capela as a lottery pick, and given Masai's history I could see him being one of the GMs who's high on Capela. If both Capela and McDermott were on the board when the Raptors pick, I would strongly expect them to go with Capela.

Comment

• If raps use their cap space via trade and take on a lot of garbage, that could create opportunities.

There are a few teams up against luxury tax for next year before off season even starts.

In terms of free agency, 2014 summer is not going to happen. Might as well add more garbage that comes off the books next summer if it adds assets I.e. Prospects or picks.

Comment

• Raps only have cap space if they don't resign Lowry and PP. GV and DeColo are eat into that space

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                  I have a hard time envisioning McDermott as a Raptors pick, but I think you're right about him being in a higher tier than most other players remaining in the SI mock. The one exception to that is Capela. Draftexpress certainly thinks that some teams have Capela as a lottery pick, and given Masai's history I could see him being one of the GMs who's high on Capela. If both Capela and McDermott were on the board when the Raptors pick, I would strongly expect them to go with Capela.
                  Man, the footage of Capela I looked at looked OLD. He looks like an intriguing project, but probably a draft and stash as well. I can't even begin to guess what tier he would fit in. Part of me thinks with muscle, and experience he could eventually replace Amir as a starter. But he's so raw in the footage I looked at.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  If raps use their cap space via trade and take on a lot of garbage, that could create opportunities.

There are a few teams up against luxury tax for next year before off season even starts.

In terms of free agency, 2014 summer is not going to happen. Might as well add more garbage that comes off the books next summer if it adds assets I.e. Prospects or picks.
                  I understand your rationale Matt, but I have to disagree. To me, taking on garbage is a big step back. If the Raps keep Casey, a coach that goes 12 deep during games, the bench needs to be improved, not worsened. The benefit of getting 1 player in turn for grabbing another team's trash kind of dies when Casey lets pretty much any player with a few years experience get floor time.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    Raps only have cap space if they don't resign Lowry and PP. GV and DeColo are eat into that space

Not quite.

Depends on timing.

Raps can make trades and use their cap space that way.

When you make trades you retain Bird Rights - so it would have no impact on Lowry, PP, GV, or De Colo.... as long as the trades came first and the signings second.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post

I understand your rationale Matt, but I have to disagree. To me, taking on garbage is a big step back. If the Raps keep Casey, a coach that goes 12 deep during games, the bench needs to be improved, not worsened. The benefit of getting 1 player in turn for grabbing another team's trash kind of dies when Casey lets pretty much any player with a few years experience get floor time.
                      You decline player options on Buycks, Stone, De Colo, and Salmons and that gives you 4 roster spaces.

Those guys are all extremely easy to replace.

I disagree it causes Raptors to take a step back but, even if it did, you still have the same starting lineup, backup PG, and backup bigs (assuming everyone resigns). You are out a backup wing in Salmons but, again, easily replaced.

As for Casey going 12 deep, well, that is something easily correctable and unnecessary.

Comment

• One thing that intrigues me about McDermott is that he could be the post scorer we desperately need. Not many guys in the draft with the skills to bring a double team in the post but McDermott might be one.

Depending on how well he trains, I could see a little Boozer esque game for him: good scorer, smart player, some defensive issues to cover up.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Lots of team lower in the draft need McDermott prob goes 10-15.Toronto at 20 would pass

Comment

• Assuming Casey returns I don't see the Raptors drafting a soft defender like McDermott. Casey did not find minutes for soft defenders like Augustin and Daye even though their new teams have found them useful.

McDermott is going to be pinned to the 3 point line in the NBA. Not a post threat for the average SF defender in the NBA. He has a relatively short wing span of 6'8.5". Wiggins as a comparison has a span of 7 feet.

Comment

• I can't see McDermott falling to #20.

Comment

• BigCamB wrote: View Post
                                I can't see McDermott falling to #20.
                                Even if he did we are not gonna take him
                                He doesn't fit this team at all
                                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                                X