What Masai Ujiri's notes should look like:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Masai Ujiri's notes should look like:

Here are my predictions on the Raptors upcoming season (Assuming Buycks, and Stone are signed)

Raptors Roster 15/15

PG:Lowry/Augustin/Buycks/Stone C+
    SG: Derozan/Ross/Daye B-
    SF:Gay/Fields/Novak. B
    PF:Johnson/Hansbrough/Acy B-
    C:Valanciunas/Gray B-

Overall grade: B-

6th in the East

Point guard: Situation here is questionable. Lowry is relied on and should be a 14pts + 7asts player for this to translate into wins. One of the backup point guards should be able to get 6pts and 4asts consistently to stabilize this unit. DJ Augustin should be able to accomplish that stat line. Buycks hasn't proven himself on the court enough. Julyan Stone is the smoothest passer out of the three backup point guards, but will lack any type of offense. However this position performs, is going to make or break the Raptor's playoff hopes.

Shooting guard: Demar Derozan is still a borderline all-star, regardless with a good improvement in every stat in the preseason. Terrence Ross needs to be consistent with his jumper. Austin Daye will make at least one three pointer a game in his spot minutes, which will be fine for a third string guard, but his lack of defense and rebounding lowers the grade (aka poor man's primo). Otherwise, a balanced unit offensively, with decent defense.

Small forward: Rudy Gay is going to be an all-star next year, and during preseason he proved that his eye surgery improved his shooting considerably. Landry Fields has improved his finishing ability and his playmaking skills are a good asset for his height but must get back to his rookie shooting number percentages for this unit to have reasonable depth. Novak will spread the floor hitting threes, as expected. Balanced offense and defense here.

Power forward: Amir is a high energy bench player. To make him able to come off the bench and produce from there, is a plus. Tyler Hansbrough is a gritty version of Amir. With both of their impact on the game, stats should be similar. Quincy Acy has shown that it isn't a bad idea to give him spot minutes every few games, as his energy remains unmatched compared to the rest of the team. The rebound rate here, will be solid. As of now, they are undersized at this position which will create problems switching on defensive screens to get caught on mismatches with the opposing center.

Center: Valanciunas is a future all-star on this team. Yes, I said it. His improved physical strength has been tested in the preseason. For just a sample size of that, he is doing fine against bigger centers in the league. Raptors need a solid backup centre, an experienced veteran who is capable of playing good post defense while putting up 6pts, 5rebs each night. No offense to Aaron Gray, but he's always going to be a 3rd center option on this team because the majority of the team likes to run a lot. Doesn't suit your gameplay Aaron.

All of the starters are set for a career year. Lowry lost weight, gained more speed, and appears smarter with the passing of the ball. Derozan has shown us the potential is finally coming through. Improved footwork, better defense, and shooting above 50 percent in the preseason. Rudy's shooting has improved with the eye surgery, proven in sample size. Amir, is still Amir. Jonas could post up much bigger players now, and is only going to get better as the season progresses. The point guards for the bench, is the main issue. If they could carry the team if Lowry goes down to injury, or not.The bench has to stay consistent with their scoring (cough cough Terrence Ross). Argue with my predictions if you want, but this isn't 2K. If the chips fall where they may, this team could at best be a 6th seed. When this happens, you heard it here first.

Starting five: Lowry/Derozan/Gay/Johnson/Valanciunas
    Offense Rating:B+
    Defense Rating:B

Starters overall grade: B
    Overall offensive rating:9th
    Overall defensive rating:13th

Bench:Augustin,Buycks,Stone/Ross,Daye/Fields,Novak/Hansbrough,Acy/Gray
    Offense Rating:C
    Defense Rating:B-

Bench overall grade: C+
    Overall bench offensive rating:21st
    Overall bench defensive rating:11th

Total offense rating:15th in the league
    Total defense rating:12th in the league

Final Grades (once again) Grade
    SF:Gay/Fields/Novak B

Overall grade: B-

Standings Prediction: 6th in the East
    My projected win/loss record:45-37
    Playoffs prediction: They will win 2 playoff games.

NBA East Predictions:
    1.Heat
    2.Bulls
    3.Nets
    4.Pacers
    5.Knicks
    6.Raptors
    7.Pistons
    8.Cavaliers
    9.Wizards
    10.Hawks
    11.Bucks
    12.Bobcats
    13.Celtics
    14.Magic
    15.76ers

NBA West Predictions
    1.Clippers
    2.Spurs
    3.Rockets
    4.Thunder
    5.Warriors
    6.Mavericks
    7.Grizzlies
    8.Nuggets
    9.Timberwolves
    10.Trail Blazers
    11.Lakers
    12.Pelicans
    13.Kings
    14.Jazz
    15.Suns

My first long post on here. Let me know what you think. GO RAPS GO

Obviously a lot of thought went into your post. I believe you are optimistic in most of your predictions. The PG position is the Raps weakest link, I think. Unless there is large growth from Buycks I can see the second unit losing ground in every game when they are brought out to rest the starters. Buycks should not be the one bringing up the ball. He should be used as a starting guard. I'd rather see Fields with the ball in his hands.

Keep posting.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
      Obviously a lot of thought went into your post. I believe you are optimistic in most of your predictions. The PG position is the Raps weakest link, I think. Unless there is large growth from Buycks I can see the second unit losing ground in every game when they are brought out to rest the starters. Buycks should not be the one bringing up the ball. He should be used as a starting guard. I'd rather see Fields with the ball in his hands.

Keep posting.
      Exactly. The depth of the point guard spot is an issue. It's understandable why nobody trusts Buycks to run the point. He tends to miss open shots, and is very inconsistent. Of course that problem would be solved if there was large growth from Buycks, but let's be realistic here with saying he's an average guard at best. This preseason Landry has shown us that he could run the team as their best point-forward, since he's the highest IQ player on the bench.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to keep posting

Comment

Reyaz123 wrote: View Post
        Exactly. The depth of the point guard spot is an issue. It's understandable why nobody trusts Buycks to run the point. He tends to miss open shots, and is very inconsistent. Of course that problem would be solved if there was large growth from Buycks, but let's be realistic here with saying he's an average guard at best. This preseason Landry has shown us that he could run the team as their best point-forward, since he's the highest IQ player on the bench.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to keep posting
        Although it's a tad optimistic, I give you props for putting together something close to being objective. I see them no higher than 8th and a .500 record (you might say a .500 record is good for a weak East).
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

nice post
          "Masai WILL win us a championship"
          - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Comment

I think Ujiri's notes should like Ujiri's notes not yours.

Comment

That's a good post.

Frank McLean is a veteran Toronto Journalist who has covered the team from day 1 - he gives his thoughts on every player.

“Kyle (Lowry) looks like he is doing what they wanted him to do. He is actually playing some defense and he is actually shooting the ball. This is what they wanted from him last year.
              DeMar DeRozan looks like he has finally got it now going into his fifth year.
              Rudy Gay seems interested. He seems enthused. He is shooting free. I wonder if he is hoping that he gets traded at the deadline or if he actually likes it here.
              Amir Johnson is going into his ninth year. You just hope he stays healthy. He can contribute and may be that second option when Rudy is double-teamed.
              (Valanciunas) is in his second year. Now he understands what the NBA is all about. (Valanciunas) is everything the scouts drooled about that went over to Europe and saw him 2 years ago."

I have the Raptors in 7th - basically tied with the Pistons.

Big worry - Rudy Gay won't commit to staying with the team ahead of the trade deadline and Ujiri is forced into doing something about it.
              The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Using a scale of C as league average, A+ as top 10 at position, D- as legitimate NBA 12th man.

Lowry is a B+ starter, Stone is a C prospect, Buycks is a D prospect, Augustin is a D backup. So, OK, C+ is fair overall, but if Lowry is healthy and plays significant minutes, then could be a B-

DeRozan and looked good in Preseason, but, yeah, history has him as a C- starter, and Ross is a C prospect, Daye is a D backup, so I don't see a B- here. C

Gay is a C+ starter (though not even that last year), Fields is a A- backup, or better if he shoots well, Novak is a C+ situational backup. Don't really see a B here, but I'll go with a B-, mostly because of Fields.

This is a severely underrated collection of PFs. Our strength at the 4 is the main reason we would fail at tanking. This line up will win us games. Don't change a thing. A.

Though Valanciunas is a A+ prospect, he's only a C starter at the moment, and Gray is nothing but a C- backup, So I'll got with a C+ based on JV getting better over the course of the year and Amir getting some burn here too.

Still feels optimistic, so maybe a C+ overall, which would mean a slightly above .500 team.

If we get major contributions from JV and Lowry, could be a surprising season, if not, a disappointing one. In the unlikely case that DeRozan can play with the efficiency he has show in preseason, this would actually be a good team.

Comment

KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
                  nice post
                  Thanks!

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
                    That's a good post.

Frank McLean is a veteran Toronto Journalist who has covered the team from day 1 - he gives his thoughts on every player.

“Kyle (Lowry) looks like he is doing what they wanted him to do. He is actually playing some defense and he is actually shooting the ball. This is what they wanted from him last year.
                    DeMar DeRozan looks like he has finally got it now going into his fifth year.
                    Rudy Gay seems interested. He seems enthused. He is shooting free. I wonder if he is hoping that he gets traded at the deadline or if he actually likes it here.
                    Amir Johnson is going into his ninth year. You just hope he stays healthy. He can contribute and may be that second option when Rudy is double-teamed.
                    (Valanciunas) is in his second year. Now he understands what the NBA is all about. (Valanciunas) is everything the scouts drooled about that went over to Europe and saw him 2 years ago."

I have the Raptors in 7th - basically tied with the Pistons.

Big worry - Rudy Gay won't commit to staying with the team ahead of the trade deadline and Ujiri is forced into doing something about it.
                    Thanks. Valanciunas has convinced many this is his breakout season, the franchise is headed in the right direction. Problem for this season is,
                    We're all worried what Ujiri will do with Rudy by the trade deadline decision because it will define whether Ujiri will rebuild, or continue with the playoff hopes

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
                      Using a scale of C as league average, A+ as top 10 at position, D- as legitimate NBA 12th man.

Lowry is a B+ starter, Stone is a C prospect, Buycks is a D prospect, Augustin is a D backup. So, OK, C+ is fair overall, but if Lowry is healthy and plays significant minutes, then could be a B-

DeRozan and looked good in Preseason, but, yeah, history has him as a C- starter, and Ross is a C prospect, Daye is a D backup, so I don't see a B- here. C

Gay is a C+ starter (though not even that last year), Fields is a A- backup, or better if he shoots well, Novak is a C+ situational backup. Don't really see a B here, but I'll go with a B-, mostly because of Fields.

This is a severely underrated collection of PFs. Our strength at the 4 is the main reason we would fail at tanking. This line up will win us games. Don't change a thing. A.

Though Valanciunas is a A+ prospect, he's only a C starter at the moment, and Gray is nothing but a C- backup, So I'll got with a C+ based on JV getting better over the course of the year and Amir getting some burn here too.

Still feels optimistic, so maybe a C+ overall, which would mean a slightly above .500 team.

If we get major contributions from JV and Lowry, could be a surprising season, if not, a disappointing one. In the unlikely case that DeRozan can play with the efficiency he has show in preseason, this would actually be a good team.
                      Grades are similar, but we all know that this all hinges on the point guard position. They all must be consistent for the season to go the way it was planned. And that's our biggest question mark with the team.

Comment

UM's Notes:

1. Trade them all, except maybe JV and DD.
                        2. Draft Wiggans

Comment

MU's notes:

-text Drake about lunch at Soso's
                          -text BC picture of my dick
                          -check in with Nurse and Bayno on the Casey experiment
                          -get Deb in accounting to draft up Casey's extens-ahahahahah i can't even finish this sentence
                          -get Deb in accounting to draft up Bayno's HC contract, Frank in PR to write up statement (note: have it ready by all star break)
                          -Call the boys in Milwaukee and Cleveland about Rudy and/or Kyle
                          -Get Drake to work on Durant and Beal about 2016
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

-check-in with Bryan to make sure he isn't lying in a ditch somewhere...

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              MU's notes:

-text Drake about lunch at Soso's
                              -text BC picture of my dick
                              -check in with Nurse and Bayno on the Casey experiment
                              -get Deb in accounting to draft up Casey's extens-ahahahahah i can't even finish this sentence
                              -get Deb in accounting to draft up Bayno's HC contract, Frank in PR to write up statement (note: have it ready by all star break)
                              -Call the boys in Milwaukee and Cleveland about Rudy and/or Kyle
                              -Get Drake to work on Durant and Beal about 2016
                              Highly inappropriate, ceez.

But you did make me laugh out loud.

Comment

Working...
                              X