New York 3 7 0.300
    Brooklyn 3 7 0.300

The best record which belongs to Philly would put them

3rd in the Central Division
    4th in the Southeast Division
    4th in the Northwest Division
    4th (Tied) in the Pacific Division
    5th in the Southwest Division

The raps are currently .5 games back of Philly which means a win tonight would make us division leaders. For those of you who don't know if you win your division you are automatically guaranteed a top 4 seed in the playoffs and home court advantage in the first round.

IS it possible for the Raps to win the division, yes! Should we confuse winning the division with being a contender if our actual record would leave us as an 7th or 8th seed? NO!

I meant to write more but my wife is getting mad and I have to go... Will be back later to rejoin the discuss and or elaborate on my thoughts!
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    IS it possible for the Raps to win the division, yes! Should we confuse winning the division with being a contender if our actual record would leave us as an 7th or 8th seed? NO!
    Answering "YES!" to that question in 2007 is what ultimately caused BC to lose his job and turn this franchise into a capped-out treadmill. Those who fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it!

Comment

Plus, New York and Brookly should pickup the pace as the season progresses.

Comment

If we have chance at four home playoffs games I'm all for it! If we end having like a 5+ game(which is actually possible) lead on our devision by Christmas I don't see how Massai will blow this team up. The fan base will erupt! Also it's a business after all. Those Playoffs games that's a lot of revenue! At the end of the it always comes down to $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          If we have chance at four home playoffs games I'm all for it! If we end having like a 5+ game(which is actually possible) lead on our devision by Christmas I don't see how Massai will blow this team up. The fan base will erupt! Also it's a business after all. Those Playoffs games that's a lot of revenue! At the end of the it always comes down to $$$

Right, but if it's a choice between minor short term $$$, vs. future long term $$$, which route to you think a savvy executive like Lieweke would opt for?

Comment

I am all for our players improving their game & stats. over the rest of year and raising their stock. I want other gms getting the busy signal when they call MU's phone. I want MU to have options to raise the ante on possible returns. And then.....SELL. That a team which wins this division may conceivably have a losing record....and some are excited with that prospect is confounding.

Comment

There is a 2 game difference between 1st and 5th. The marginal difference is so small that at this point in time it doesn't mean alot.

Its definetely probable that this team even with a 'poor' record could win the division, but its unlikey (all the more reason to tank now(ish) and not later!?!?). In a week the standing could be much different. In a month I'd be willing to bet its significantly different.

Comment

The problem with this scenario is the Raptors could end up going on a 4 games losing streak at the end of the year to end up with the 12th pick.

What a waste of a season.

#BlowItUpDec15Masai

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Right, but if it's a choice between minor short term $$$, vs. future long term $$$, which route to you think a savvy executive like Lieweke would opt for?
                  I don't see why we wouldn't make money in the long term. Has Massai not proven his one of the best GMs at retooling? Compared to rebuilding where we have no idea how he would do

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Sadly, as early as it is in the season, this would mark the latest in the season we've held the divisional lead since we won it in '07.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I don't see why we wouldn't make money in the long term. Has Massai not proven his one of the best GMs at retooling? Compared to rebuilding where we have no idea how he would do

Not sure how any amount of "retooling" will land Toronto a franchise player. And without that franchise player, we're backing into the playoffs for as long as our division sucks.

Comment

Thanks for getting the thread going, many of you have hit on the points I would have made...

Bold: Yes it is possible, and IF we had a 5+ game lead on the team in 2nd place Masai probably won't blow it up. BUT the odds of even winning the division are pretty much even for all teams at the moment which means we have roughly a 20% chance of being in first, let alone have a super cushy 5 game lead. The odds of the raps having that lead? It's possible, in the sense that it is possible for my wife to tell me that she wouldn't mind if we had an open relationship and I could start sleeping with other women without making her upset. Both are extremely unlikely. If you think that it is likely that the raps will have a 5+ game lead on the division it probably means they are a legit 4-6 seed, which kinda sounds like crazy talk based on what's happened so far.

Craiger wrote: View Post
                        There is a 2 game difference between 1st and 5th. The marginal difference is so small that at this point in time it doesn't mean alot.

Its definetely probable that this team even with a 'poor' record could win the division, but its unlikey (all the more reason to tank now(ish) and not later!?!?). In a week the standing could be much different. In a month I'd be willing to bet its significantly different.
                        This is the problem, the fact that the raps are now the division leaders, doesn't mean that we are a lock to win the division OR make the playoffs. Wanting to keep this team together because "it's possible" to win the division, is the same kind of thinking that has lead us a stray before, how many times have we as fans used "if only" or "it's possible" as a justification to stay the course (mediocrity) hoping for better outcomes? Would I love to hang another division champs banner in the rafters? Absolutely!!! but not if it's going to undermine our chances of putting up a conference champs banner.

Axel wrote: View Post
                        Sadly, as early as it is in the season, this would mark the latest in the season we've held the divisional lead since we won it in '07.
                        This is why I'm worried people will miss interpret our division lead, as evidence that we are actually a team capable of doing damage in the playoffs. Which we are NOT.

I want a top 5 team in the league. Not a top 10 or a top 15. A top 5.
                        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

We are the 4th seed with the 6th best winning percentage in the East. We are TIED with the LAKERS for the 17th best winning percentage in the league. TIED... LAKERS... 17th... If you just went with the best 16 teams in the league for the playoffs the raps wouldn't even qualify. But because of the system if playoffs started today they would have home court advantage in round 1.

Don't let this fool you!!!

The raps have less than a month to prove to Masai that they are the real deal, because as of right now, even as the division leaders they are certainly NOT the real deal. And 1 good game doesn't prove much, if anything.
                          Last edited by ezz_bee; Thu Nov 21, 2013, 04:19 AM.

Comment

We are 5-7, regardless of the division lead, 5-7 isn't very good.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Just to add a little relevant information to this thread:

- tied for 17th best record in the league
                              - 6th best record in the east
                              - 5 teams within 1 game of Toronto in the east

- 17th easiest schedule to date

- 15th in net rating

Comment

Working...
                              X