Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @Christian

Thks for the vid. The guy is just too cool apart from being such a great player.

Comment

• Legion Sports ‏@MySportsLegion
      Breaking: Nets have traded Anthony Morrow Jordan Farmar, Jordan Williams, Johan Petro, DeShawn Stevenson & 1st round pick for Joe Johnson.
      Does this give Brooklyn the edge on Steve Nash?
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Personally I don't think so. This trade has been in the works for the past little while now already.

Edit: Also, this kills the Nets cap room for Howard, unless I'm mistaken.

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
          The only real consequence is the cap hit on the last year, which, like I mentioned, can be avoided by trading the player in advance.
          You seem to be assuming he'll be playing at a level that other teams will be interested in at $15M/year (even for one year). That's more than Calderon is making for his final contract year. I don't see that as being easy to trade if Lin turns out to be a bust -- or even the backup-level PG he's most likely to be.

I'm sorry, a short stint with a Knicks team in complete disarray with their key players injured does not an All-Star rookie make. Give me the proven veteran for less money and less years who won't be looking to re-up at the end of the contract. Toronto can draft/sign/trade for their future point over the course of the next 2 seasons.
          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• Katman wrote: View Post
            Check YOUR facts Prime
            Yes, you are correct. My bad. Since everyone was ambiguously referring to "Bird rights" I mistakenly believed they were talking about the full Bird rights.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
              Calling it a cycle of mediocrity makes it seem like we're an ok team instead of a god awful one.

We should refer to our level of play as a cycle of Clipperdome or cycle of If We Were in the West We Wouldn't Even Win 15 Games.
              This. I stand corrected.

jbml wrote: View Post
              I am thinking somewhat on the same lines. A S and T however must be for at least 3 years not counting an option and only the first year has to be guaranteed. So why not front load it. I am a big Nash booster so if he wants 3 years he would get it.

Front loading the contract would give us more cap room in your after two year scenario when I believe we could be pushing for the higher echelon of the league
              Exactly, the numbers are a lot easier to move around with his contract.

Garbo wrote: View Post
              This is where I really disagree. How do we auction off our future? We're signing him as a free agent, not trading away our assets. The only player we'd end up saying goodbye to is Calderon if all the sign and trade/amnesty speculation is true. If we sign Nash, we will have a less advantageous draft pick slotting next year, but so what? How did that draft slotting help us this year?

I think the "auctioning of the future" conversation will be had in all honesty after this Nash signing.. I'm certain that Colangelo will be putting together some kind of package to bring us a legitimate small forward to really make the Nash experiment work. That would definitely cost us something. This? Some rich guy will have to spend some money. Sounds good to me.
              Well, if you check where the contracts of our young players expire, other than our rookies (maybe Derozan as well) they all expire during this period. His contract effects their future earnings (if they all decide to stay for less money). Most top earners on a team are peaking, not on a decline due to age. In three years will he be our best player? If so, wouldn't the team be built around hi game? And if he is, what disarray does it create when a team built around a 40 year old loses its top player? That's without considering the space that could be used for a younger free agent.

Hmm... I get what your saying about after they sign Nash, but would those trades make sense before we allegedly get Nash? I would argue if we went for a Lin, or Lowry, or whichever young point guard that the type of SF we would go after would more likely be a longer term option. Why? To allow the new group to mature and gain chemistry together. At least that's wha would make sense. Not that we can believe Rap staff is using common sense.

Katman wrote: View Post
              Check YOUR facts Prime
              Thanks for the source Katman, I expect an apology Prime...lol.jk.
              Last edited by blackjitsu; Mon Jul 2, 2012, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                You seem to be assuming he'll be playing at a level that other teams will be interested in at $15M/year (even for one year). That's more than Calderon is making for his final contract year. I don't see that as being easy to trade if Lin turns out to be a bust -- or even the backup-level PG he's most likely to be.
                Unless Lin turns out to be a completely scrub, then it shouldn't hard to work out a deal. Even you have to agree that he's going to be at least serviceable in the worst case.

Expirings are more valuable than you think. Remember what teams were offering Dallas for Dampier?

I'm sorry, a short stint with a Knicks team in complete disarray with their key players injured does not an All-Star rookie make.
                But that's exactly the point. He was able to reinvigorate a Knicks team without their key players. Do you honestly believe that winning 7 straight games with that disaster of a lineup was a fluke?

Also FYI, he continued to post good (starter caliber) numbers even with Melo and Amar'e back.

Give me the proven veteran for less money and less years who won't be looking to re-up at the end of the contract. Toronto can draft/sign/trade for their future point over the course of the next 2 seasons.
                Self-contradiction? You claim to prefer signing a veteran PG for 36M over the next few years yet in the following sentence you say want to draft our future PG?

Comment

They don't have any more money to offer. JJ needs the ball a lot. I don't think this gives Brooklyn the edge personally.

Comment

I don't think so unless Williams bolts. Given how he signed off on this deal, I don't think it happens.

As of right now, the Nets will have no cap space to make a run at Nash and would be limited to MLE - unless they renounce Lopez, Williams, and Humphries.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                      They don't have any more money to offer. JJ needs the ball a lot. I don't think this gives Brooklyn the edge personally.
                      JJ and Nash played with one another in Phoenix. I think they could play together.

However, the only way it is even an issue is if Williams leaves. I don't think that happens now.

Comment

• this gives them the edge with Dwill. but, ironically, Dwight has now said he will only go to Dallas. Maybe him and Dwill will conspire to go west. Then the Russian will come after Steve. wasn't i supposed to turn off the internet?

Comment

• Nets are starting to look interesting

possible

PG: Deron Williams
                          SG: Joe Johnson
                          SF: Gerald Wallace

But this is not a team for Nash to lead
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                            Nets are starting to look interesting

possible

PG: Deron Williams
                            SG: Joe Johnson
                            SF: Gerald Wallace

But this is not a team for Nash to lead
                            And they could keep MLE, resign Lopez and Hump regardless of cap, and have Brooks as 6th man.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              And they could keep MLE, resign Lopez and Hump regardless of cap, and have Brooks as 6th man.
                              yeah i was thinking the same. i think that lopez might be the weak link in their starting 5. one of those 3 forwards is going to have to be a shooter i think.

Comment

• chemistry pending they would be good for 3 to 6 in the east. Orlando, and Atlanta blowing up Chicago with Rose out half or most of the season recovery pending, Boston another year older...Raptors could sneak into 7th or 8th this year without even changing a light bulb
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X