Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade the pick: ESPN late to the party (274)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendit wrote: View Post
    You got that right. This "hit the ground running" thing is being stretched into franchise busting recommendations. .
    I don't think the vision that fans like you and me have is shared by management. Until further notice, I am taking BC and Casey at their word that they want to win games next year. In order to do that, this team needs to go in a very different direction from what I think is in its long term interests but they don't pay me millions of dollars to run their team, so waht I think is irrelevant.

My fear now is that instead of really going for it the Raps will instead take some sort of half-assed approach where they try to improve the team just enough to fight for the 7-8 seed while pretending that their middling young players are the franchise of the future. This to me is the worst of both worlds. Either commit to a long-term plan or go for a title in the short term. If one's response is that they can't create a title contender in the short run, then maybe the Raps need to re-think the plan.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      That is a lot to give up for Granger or AI. Both are on the downside of their careers and experiencing multi-year slides in production.

I would be very disappointed with AI or Granger at the expense of the 1st round pick.
      I know that is a lot to give up, thats why I said it is the MOST I would give up for them. AI is 28 and Granger is 29, so I think they have a lot of burn left and even though their production has decreased over the last few years, both of the teams that they play for have become more successful, which shows that they do what it takes for the team to win. They both defend well, I mean Rudy Gay would be a better option than both of them, but I just don't see Memphis giving him up.

The 8th pick is still a crap shoot if you ask me.
      Davis/johnson are expendable because of our depth at the PF.
      The 2nd round pick is expendable.
      The loss of Jose ... depends how you feel about Bayless, I for one think Bayless could start for our team and put up huge numbers.

Thats why I would do this deal. This is just an example of what we can realistically accomplish in terms of addressing the need at SF without giving up the core of this team (unless you consider calderon part of the core).
      "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
        I know that is a lot to give up, thats why I said it is the MOST I would give up for them. AI is 28 and Granger is 29, so I think they have a lot of burn left and even though their production has decreased over the last few years, both of the teams that they play for have become more successful, which shows that they do what it takes for the team to win. They both defend well, I mean Rudy Gay would be a better option than both of them, but I just don't see Memphis giving him up.

The 8th pick is still a crap shoot if you ask me.
        Davis/johnson are expendable because of our depth at the PF.
        The 2nd round pick is expendable.
        The loss of Jose ... depends how you feel about Bayless, I for one think Bayless could start for our team and put up huge numbers.

Thats why I would do this deal. This is just an example of what we can realistically accomplish in terms of addressing the need at SF without giving up the core of this team (unless you consider calderon part of the core).
        There is no problem in agreeing to disagree.

I would not go near Granger or Iguodala.

Of the three (including Gay), I think Granger and AI are less likely to move with Granger almost a definite and AI 50/50. I think Gay would be 60/40.

*full disclosure: all numbers pulled straight from my bum.

Comment

• Raps shopping the 8th

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ck-for-forward

The Toronto Raptors know exactly what they want out of the 2012 NBA draft:

An established, athletic wing man.

And that's why the Raptors have already made it known to rival teams that their lottery pick on June 28 -- No. 8 overall -- is available to a trade partner that can provide the elite small forward they seek, according to sources close to the situation.

With a slew of league execs having converged on Chicago this week for the NBA's annual pre-draft camp, sources told ESPN.com that the Raptors have at least two known trade targets: Memphis swingman Rudy Gay and Philadelphia's Andre Iguodala.

The Raptors, sources said, are prepared to part with their lottery pick in this month's draft at least partly because they have a lottery pick on the way. Lithuanian star Jonas Valanciunas, selected No. 5 overall by Toronto in the 2011 draft, is poised to join the Raptors next season after the young 7-footer quickly established himself as one of the most exciting big men in Europe.

Yet it remains to be seen whether Toronto can manufacture the other assets needed to go with the No. 8 to tempt Memphis or Philly or any other team that surfaces with a top swingman available. Veteran point guard Jose Calderon (who possesses an expiring contract in 2012-13) and young big man Ed Davis are among the players that the Raptors would conceivably be willing to put into a trade package.

As ESPN.com reported Sunday, Toronto also plans to be a determined suitor in free agency for Phoenix Suns point guard Steve Nash, hoping to bring Canada's former Olympic basketball captain and newly installed general manager of the senior national team back to home soil.

But if the Raptors decide, in the end, not to make a draft-night deal and keep the pick, they're expected to focus on the top guards that could be available at No. 8. Sources say that Toronto is intrigued by Syracuse's Dion Waiters, UConn's Jeremy Lamb and Weber State's Damian Lillard.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
            1. its not the kings players fault the team drafted a bunch of tweeners and threw them together with a crappy coach
            2. leonard is the better player in that deal so...
            Your right, it isn't the players fault that there isn't any veterans on that team..it's managements'. Philly and Indy wouldn't be where they are without solid veterans.

That trade is a wash, both teams got the player they needed and that's how good deals are done.
            -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
            -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• Iguodala might be the better fit. Should the Raptors have to include Calderon in a deal, and we lose out on Nash, Iguodala plays a point forward role. Takes the ease off of however we'll have as our starting 1 next season.

Comment

• Unless we have a way to get Jrue too(us add in pieces as well) I don't think giving up the 8th for AI is worth it
                Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                  Iguodala might be the better fit. Should the Raptors have to include Calderon in a deal, and we lose out on Nash, Iguodala plays a point forward role. Takes the ease off of however we'll have as our starting 1 next season.
                  Iggy as a point forward? That's the 1st I'm ever hearing of such a strategy. He's no Odom or Turkoglu.

Comment

• he's actually a excellent facilitator
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

he's actually a excellent facilitator
                      Agreed.

Comment

he's actually a excellent facilitator
                        I can't envision him being a better facilitator than Bayless.

Comment

• really?
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

really?
                            Yeah, honestly.

Maybe, I just haven't watched enough Philly games. But there's nothing about Iggy that tells me he can run an offense (which is what would be expected of a "point forward"). He's got solid assist numbers for a SF, but if Calderon is shipped, having Iggy with the ball isn't going to help ease Calderon's absence.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Yeah, honestly.

Maybe, I just haven't watched enough Philly games. But there's nothing about Iggy that tells me he can run an offense (which is what would be expected of a "point forward"). He's got solid assist numbers for a SF, but if Calderon is shipped, having Iggy with the ball isn't going to help ease Calderon's absence.
                              No one said he's going to take over the point guard duties. A point forward just eases the burden of the point guard a bit, especially if the starting pg isn't in the game. Or if the starting point guard's creative skill/ facilitating skill is lacking. A 3 that averages 5.5-6 assists per game? That's solid. Not too many small forwards can do that.

Comment

• Chad Ford's latest chat

Gabe (Naperville)

There are rumblings from several local reporters that the Bulls may be looking to move into the Top 10. Have you heard anything to that extent?

Chad Ford (1:35 PM)

Only way I could really see that happening is if the Raptors settled for Luol Deng there. A deal of Deng and No. 29 for Calderon and No. 8 might work for both sides.
                                http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/44193

Deng? No thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X