Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Think Chicago's Schedule Isn't All That Noticeably Tougher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miracle?

It looks like Chicago may have gotten their miracle with Toronto blowing that home game to the Warriors and then losing Chris Bosh to a regular season ending injury.

Let's see, where are we now

Chicago have 37 wins and 40 losses while the Raptors have 38 wins and 40 losses. Toronto hold the tiebreaker so Chicago have to overtake them.

Bulls remaining games -- Cavs + @ Nets + @ Raptors + Celtics + @ Bobcats
    Raptors remaining games -- @ Hawks + Bulls + @ Pistons + Knicks

Probable Outcomes

Chicago has two very difficult games against a very good and an elite opponent in the Cavs and Celtics. It looks like Boston will be fighting for third place with Atlanta so they're unlikely to rest any of their players. Both are probable losses. Chicago has a game against NJ which should be a comfortable win. Then the Raptors which also should be a win since Bosh is out otherwise I'd fancy the Raptors chances. And finally, the Bobcats, in Charlotte, last game of the season which could go either way. Slight edge to the Bobcats but it's close. So they're likely to finish the season with a 3-2 or 2-3 record. That leaves Chicago with either 39 or 40 wins.

Toronto has two probably losses against the Hawks and Bulls and two 50-50 games against the Pistons and Knicks. Let's say they split those 50-50 games. So a likely 1-3 record but possibly a 2-2 record or an 0-4 record. A 1-3 record brings them up to 39 wins on the season.

So, if the Raptors win just one of their remaining four games ... the Bulls would have to win three of their own including against their game against the Raptors.

Frontrunner

I think the Raptors are still ever so slight favourites in this playoff race but suddenly things have gotten very close.
    nbaroundtable

Comment

I predict the Raptors will lose the next game against the Hawks and the Bulls are going to tie the Raptors after they play the Nets tomorrow night. Then on the weekend they're going to beat the Raptors and take the lead. The Raptors will eat dust the rest of the way. Lotto bound.

Comment

Well, there goes another one of Chicago's difficult games with Cleveland resting LeBron James. The Bulls should be favoured to win that game now. That win will put a huge amount of pressure on the Raptors.

Chicago are getting their miracle.
        nbaroundtable

Comment

So Lebron sits tonight. Boy could you see this coming
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
            Well, there goes another one of Chicago's difficult games with Cleveland resting LeBron James. The Bulls should be favoured to win that game now. That win will put a huge amount of pressure on the Raptors.

Chicago are getting their miracle.
            No miracle

Jamison's "intentional" elbow and Stern tells Lebron to sit.

No doubt that the NBA wants the Bulls in the playoffs. The miracle will be if the Raptors get in.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I'm confused, do people still want the raps in the play offs?

I really don't see how prolonging this season with more blow outs is likely to salvage anything or garner any hope for next year. I want the raps to be competitive in every game for the rest of the season and then blow it in the last two minutes.

This team needs its draft pick if for no other reason than to give fans something positive to speculate over and not start counting down till July 1st.

Comment

I want the draft pick. I'm hoping the Raptors miss the playoffs.
                nbaroundtable

Comment

i want the raps to lose their pick this year, because i think next year's will be a higher one. Plus it doesn't seem like Colangelo has scouted this draft much.

Comment

verbatim wrote: View Post
                    i want the raps to lose their pick this year, because i think next year's will be a higher one. Plus it doesn't seem like Colangelo has scouted this draft much.
                    The pick is lottery protected until 2015. So if the Raptors finish in the lottery this season, and finish in the lottery again next year, they'll keep both picks.

They will not lose the pick until (1) if the make the playoffs between now and 2014, or, (2) their 2015 first round pick which is unprotected.

Edit: Sorry typo, I wrote 2016 instead of 2015 there. Hat tip to Buddahfan for catching the mistake.
                    Last edited by Dave; Sat Apr 10, 2010, 05:23 PM.
                    nbaroundtable

Comment

well, no LeBron against the Bulls - I guess I was right. I wonder if the other playoff teams will be resting their starters against the Bulls?

Comment

and the Bulls beat the Cavs.

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
                          The pick is lottery protected until 2015. So if the Raptors finish in the lottery this season, and finish in the lottery again next year, they'll keep both picks.

They will not lose the pick until (1) if the make the playoffs between now and 2015, or, (2) their 2016 first round pick which is unprotected.

2010 first round draft pick to Miami
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------
                          Toronto's own 2010 1st round pick to Miami (top 14 protected in the 2010 Draft, top 14 protected in 2011, top 14 protected in 2012, top 14 protected in 2013, top 14 protected in 2014 and unprotected in the 2015 Draft).

Additionally, if Toronto does not convey their own 1st round pick to Miami in 2010, they shall convey their own 2010 second round pick to Miami. [Miami - Toronto, 2/13/2009]
                          http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php

So if the Raptors make the playoffs any season between and including those that end in 2010 through 2014 the Heat get the Raptors pick only one time in the first year that the Raptors make the playoffs during those years.

If the Raptors fail to make the playoffs in all seasons between 2010 and 2014 then the Heat get the Raptors pick in 2015

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                            http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php

So if the Raptors make the playoffs any season between and including those that end in 2010 through 2014 the Heat get the Raptors pick only one time in the first year that the Raptors make the playoffs during those years.

If the Raptors fail to make the playoffs in all seasons between 2010 and 2014 then the Heat get the Raptors pick in 2015
                            Yep, so the Raptors are in no danger of losing next year's pick if they're due a lottery pick

verbatim wrote: View Post
                            Not next season and not for three more years after that. Five years of lottery protection. Plenty of time for the Raptors to work themselves out of the lottery, build a quality team, and only lose a lesser draft pick.

A pick less valuable than the #12 they could get this summer.
                            nbaroundtable

Comment

I really don't understand the rationale behind not wanting the pick.

12th pick can very likely turn out to be a stud. The draft order is such a crap shoot that scouting is way more important than where your picking unless your in top 3 range. Just draft Jordan Crawford, the kid is money, I don't care where he's projected.

I want the raps to compete hard in every game for the rest of the season and then lose at the wire.

Comment

The Bulls beat the Cavs and are now tied with the Raptors for 8th seed. They take on the Nets next where as the Raptors have the Hawks. Then on Sunday the Bulls and Raptors square off against each other. The Bulls could have a two game lead on 8th seed by the end of the week...

Comment

Working...
                                X