Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I disagree I think DeMar has a great shot selection. It's just with his current skill set he can't get any better ones than one his creating. Rudy Gay that someone that doesn't know what a good shot is.
    Sometimes he falls in love with the long 2 too much but he is driving more which I like.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
      Sometimes he falls in love with the long 2 too much but he is driving more which I like.
      It really comes down to DeRozan's handles. If he can tighten them up (we've been saying this for the past 2 years), he'd be able to get to the hoop much more readily.

The pullup jumper is a sound, fundamental move that I wish every player could incorporate. With DeRozan, I just wish he'd take an extra dribble or two, and pullup in the 10-15 foot range. With his leaping ability, DeRozan should be able to get that shot off whenever he wants.

Comment

• Just be happy about him, Demar at his price and with current options is a good enough player which apparently fits our offense. He is still young, 24? Guy shows improvement every year in different areas, give him a small break. I bet he will blossom after few years if he continues to improve as steadily as he is now.
        Practice beats talent if talent doesn't practice!
        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
          Just be happy about him, Demar at his price and with current options is a good enough player which apparently fits our offense. He is still young, 24? Guy shows improvement every year in different areas, give him a small break. I bet he will blossom after few years if he continues to improve as steadily as he is now.
          Practice beats talent if talent doesn't practice!
          I actually don't think DeRozan fits the offense that well. If he doesn't have the ball, there's a lot of standing around, or casually jogging off screens. Since he's not a 3point threat, he doesn't exactly draw weak side defenders much either.

And when he does have the ball, he's easily defended by giving him space and daring him to shoot. If his shot is dropping, great (but let's remember he's only shooting 38% beyond 10 feet). And because of his weak handles, DeRozan can't slice through the defense consistently....which is why we see the pumpfake-pumpfake-pumpfake-kickout-with-5-seconds-left so often. It happens at least twice per quarter (that's 8 wasted possessions per game because of DeMar's inability to create off the dribble).

I like the kid as a person. He's humble, he's a hard worker, and he's coachable (all terrific qualities). But that doesn't erase how flawed of a player he is....without any mention of his sub-par defense.

Comment

• I like Demar too but I just find that he lacks fundamentals. He can't weave through defenses because he doesn't have the handle. He uses too much legs on his shot and it affects accuracy especially on 3 point attempts. His lateral quickness is lacking, he doesn't have an explosive first step and certainly this affects his defensive potential. He is a gym rat and that's always good, but is it too late to learn fundamentals this late in his development? These should have been addressed when he was in high school.

Maybe his earlier years, he was hyped up as a highlight film and was not given the proper direction in terms of fundamentals. Ball handling is something you have or you don't when you enter the league. He certainly has the body and size and most categories you would classify as athleticism. But it is his fourth year and he simple has limitations because of lacking ball handling. I admire his work ethic and his character, but you can't deny he is lacking fundamentals.

That being said, Luol Deng is not the most fundamentally sound but he has found someway to bean all star. I see Demar following a similar path, where he can carve a good career due to hard work and taking advantage of what he has instead of trying to be what he isn't.

I've come to accept that Demar will never be a James Harden secondary ball handler type of guy but I believe his work ethic will carry him through some how. I'd love for him to learn how to cut and find open areas a la Landry Fields, work on his foot work and dont jump too high when shooting threes.
            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              And because of his weak handles, DeRozan can't slice through the defense consistently....which is why we see the pumpfake-pumpfake-pumpfake-kickout-with-5-seconds-left so often. It happens at least twice per quarter (that's 8 wasted possessions per game because of DeMar's inability to create off the dribble)
              Next game, I challenge you to back up this statement. Lol Because I just don't see this from Demar anymore. Or at least not nearly as often as you say. And in fact, I've seen him split defenders on his way to the hoop on a number of occasions, doing a little Euro-step type move which he's gotten quite adept at.

I think you are placing far too much weight on his flaws, and not giving him enough credit for what he has already added to his game, and continues to add.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                Next game, I challenge you to back up this statement. Lol Because I just don't see this from Demar anymore. Or at least not nearly as often as you say. And in fact, I've seen him split defenders on his way to the hoop on a number of occasions, doing a little Euro-step type move which he's gotten quite adept at.

I think you are placing far too much weight on his flaws, and not giving him enough credit for what he has already added to his game, and continues to add.
                +1.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• +2

Comment

• =3

Comment

• I dont get the DeMar trolling guy is pretty dam good this year. Most games he is shooting almost 50% hes added so much to his game that would usually shut down old Demar, he makes the extra pass instead of getting trapped, hes added range he shoots with confidence now rather than taking a second to toss it up. Lay off the poor guy a little lol.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                        I dont get the DeMar trolling guy is pretty dam good this year. Most games he is shooting almost 50% hes added so much to his game that would usually shut down old Demar, he makes the extra pass instead of getting trapped, hes added range he shoots with confidence now rather than taking a second to toss it up. Lay off the poor guy a little lol.
                        Demar has added:

- Almost automatic when wide open from the perimeter.
                        - Post-game.
                        - Increasing free throw percentage.
                        - Improved ball-handle.
                        - Ability to make the extra pass, or a teammate's basket.
                        - Rebounding is increasing.
                        - Strength is noticeably better.

Needs:

- Continue to tighten the handle
                        - adding more range
                        - getting even more stronger
                        - more variety of post moves on the low block (very often just shooting over the top, or fade-away's)
                        - Taking better shots

I feel those improved skills/traits of his game, totally cancel out his flaws. This guy has been less, and less of a 1-dimensional player every year. I think averaging 18/4/4 every night is solid, and very possible for the future, although I wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds.

Comment

• Demar needs handles, better court awareness, and to have a go-to post move (half way there)
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                            Demar has added:

- Almost automatic when wide open from the perimeter.
                            - Post-game.
                            - Increasing free throw percentage.
                            - Improved ball-handle.
                            - Ability to make the extra pass, or a teammate's basket.
                            - Rebounding is increasing.
                            - Strength is noticeably better.

Needs:

- Continue to tighten the handle
                            - adding more range
                            - getting even more stronger
                            - more variety of post moves on the low block (very often just shooting over the top, or fade-away's)
                            - Taking better shots

I feel those improved skills/traits of his game, totally cancel out his flaws. This guy has been less, and less of a 1-dimensional player every year. I think averaging 18/4/4 every night is solid, and very possible for the future, although I wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds.
                            While I agree that DeRozan has improved, he still has a long way to go to be considered a top-tier SG in this league. His 3pt shot is far from automatic (still shoots a terrible % overall), takes way too many long 2pt shots (especially as a % of all his shots) and he still has pretty weak handles for consistent dribble-penetration. His scoring has been inefficient for the most part (most of the year his shooting % was near Bargnani-levels) and his defense is still below average. He had a stretch of good games with rebounding/assist stats, but he still needs to prove he can contribute in other ways consistently. My other concern with him is how he still tends to completely disappear every few games - I hope it's just a matter of youth and inexperience, but it's now his 4th year in the league, so all these excuses are eerily reminiscent of the excuses made year after year for Bargnani.

I don't care how much he likes Toronto or how much of a gym rat he is... all I care about is his contribution to this team on the court. Personally I don't think he's worth his $9.5M contract and think he still has to make many significant improvements in his game to justify his contract and make me think of him as anything more than a valuable trade chip this offseason.

The acquisition of Gay has shown me what a truly good wing player can be, even when having a 'bad' game. With all the depth the Raps have at the wing position, the fact that the Raps are close to being a luxury tax team and the fact that Bargnani isn't nearly the quality of trade chip that DeRozan would likely be, combine to have me hoping he gets traded for a legit starting PF (I love Amir, but think he's best suited to be the backup PF / 3rd big). I certainly don't "hate" DeRozan and would be just as happy seeing him finally put together a consistent, well rounded game to justify his contract, so that he spends his entire career as a Raptor. I'm just not drinking the home-team koolaid or looking at him through biased Raptors-red colored glasses.
                            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Sat Feb 16, 2013, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              While I agree that DeRozan has improved, he still has a long way to go to be considered a top-tier SG in this league. His 3pt shot is far from automatic (still shoots a terrible % overall), takes way too many long 2pt shots (especially as a % of all his shots) and he still has pretty weak handles for consistent dribble-penetration. His scoring has been inefficient for the most part (most of the year his shooting % was near Bargnani-levels) and his defense is still below average. He had a stretch of good games with rebounding/assist stats, but he still needs to prove he can contribute in other ways consistently. My other concern with him is how he still tends to completely disappear every few games - I hope it's just a matter of youth and inexperience, but it's now his 4th year in the league, so all these excuses are eerily reminiscent of the excuses made year after year for Bargnani.

I don't care how much he likes Toronto or how much of a gym rat he is... all I care about is his contribution to this team on the court. Personally I don't think he's worth his $9.5M contract and think he still has to make many significant improvements in his game to justify his contract and make me think of him as anything more than a valuable trade chip this offseason.

The acquisition of Gay has shown me what a truly good wing player can be, even when having a 'bad' game. With all the depth the Raps have at the wing position, the fact that the Raps are close to being a luxury tax team and the fact that Bargnani isn't nearly the quality of trade chip that DeRozan would likely be, combine to have me hoping he gets traded for a legit starting PF (I love Amir, but think he's best suited to be the backup PF / 3rd big). I certainly don't "hate" DeRozan and would be just as happy seeing him finally put together a consistent, well rounded game to justify his contract, so that he spends his entire career as a Raptor. I'm just not drinking the home-team koolaid or looking at him through biased Raptors-red colored glasses.
                              I was speaking to what my eye has seen, WHEN no one is near him from the 3-point line. He rarely misses from the 3. I agree, he has a tendency to play only 2 or so quarters a game, inefficient, and still inconsistent (improving, done a better job this season), but seems to have had his best stretch of ALL-AROUND basketball since the deal.

I think having a great character, personality, and love for your city is extremely important. Would you like to have another Vince Carter come in town, to only play with our feelings and drop us like a bag of shit? (Look at Vince, he probably wishes he never left now). Demar truly wants to be here, and is doing his very best to improve every season, to try and be the player we all hope and ask of him. Having a desire to be somewhere, doing something that you love, translates to production on the court, and ever since, Demar has improved on something - big or small - with his game.

Saying you don't care, means we could re-create that 2003-2004 Indiana team, with all that potential, skill, talent, but a bunch of knuckleheads ending up putting a franchise into turmoil. No thanks. I care about how guys act, whether they're coach-able, and willing to buy in, and shut up and put the team first. Demar Derozan is that type of guy.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                ...Personally I don't think he's worth his $9.5M contract and think he still has to make many significant improvements in his game to justify his contract and make me think of him as anything more than a valuable trade chip this offseason...
                                He won't be getting that money till next season starts, after he has improved through the rest of this season, and worked on his game all summer, and had a chance to play a full half season with Rudy and Lowry. If he improves as much next season as he has this one, there should be no more whining about his contract.

Comment

Working...
                                X