No announcement yet.

Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Phoenix Suns want to make ‘the right choices,’ which could mean letting Steve Nash walk

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...HWDjo5ppq8vLYF

Comment

• Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns – $11.7 million – Unrestricted

The Phoenix Suns held a luncheon with the media to close out their season and the biggest topic discussed was the situation surrounding Steve Nash.

The Suns had offers and options to trade Steve around the trade deadline, but stood by their promise not to trade Nash, who asked the team to stay the course with him.

In return, they are going to get a chance to either re-sign him to a new deal – sources say there has been talk of a two-year, $20 million contract – or they will get the chance to sign-and-trade him and get something in return.

Nash has downplayed his desire to chase a championship ring, but the truth of the matter is the 38-year-old All-Star point guard is the answer to a lot of problems in a lot of places.

Steve will have his pick of situations, but continues to tell people that returning to Phoenix, where his career has flourished, remains a real and viable option.

If the Suns can make some moves in and around the draft and really add some help to the roster, getting Nash back is a bit more than probable, mainly because they can and will offer a lot more money than most. However, if the rumors of an agreement to do a sign-and-trade are real, that might not be as much of a chip in Phoenix’s favor as once believed.

Nash has said he’d like to play for at least three more years – the question is will anyone invest major contract dollars into a player that turns 39 years old in February?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-tal...-free-agency-3

I have been giving Nash some updated thought of late.

For me the prospect of signing Nash comes down to what happens with Jose.

A simple question: who would you rather have for the next 3 years? Jose or Nash?

Personally, even though Nash is 8 years older, I think he will continue to perform at a higher level than Jose and he would be less of an injury risk (all my opinion, nothing to base it on really).

If Jose can be put in to a trade and good assets are brought back in return, sign me up for Nash.

If Nash can only be had through amnestying Jose, then I think no. Jose is too good of a player to let leave for nothing. The amnesty can also be kept as an insurance policy in case of serious injury to or ridiculous drop in play from Amir or Bargnani.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

A simple question: who would you rather have for the next 3 years? Jose or Nash?

Personally, even though Nash is 8 years older, I think he will continue to perform at a higher level than Jose and he would be less of an injury risk (all my opinion, nothing to base it on really).

If Jose can be put in to a trade and good assets are brought back in return, sign me up for Nash.

If Nash can only be had through amnestying Jose, then I think no. Jose is too good of a player to let leave for nothing. The amnesty can also be kept as an insurance policy in case of serious injury to or ridiculous drop in play from Amir or Bargnani.
        I agree on all counts.

Comment

A little further thinking, in keeping with the idea of getting to the salary cap prior to the draft discussed here, it would be nice to use all the cap space below the cap prior to July 1st. In doing this the Raptors can extend the qualifying offer to Bayless and use himas part of any sign and trade with Phoenix.

How many teams will be willing or able to sign Nash for $10M? How would an offer of Bayless and Ed Davis/Amir Johnson compare to an offer from anyone else in the league?

Comment

• If Nash is to sign here, then the only thing I can see happening is Toronto sending Jose to Phoenix in a trade/swap (along with our 2012 pick and some other pieces - like JJ maybe. Comparing Nash to Jose is like comparing Coke to RC-Cola. It's just not the same, but Calderon would be an expiring contract and Phoenix would get a pass first PG that could fit into their system pretty seamlessly. This deal would be worth a lot more than losing Nash for nothing.

I do see Bryan making a move prior to free agency that will cut the cap in half which would make it difficult to acquire a guy like Nash. I do not see them using the amnesty on Jose either.

Comment

• Not to burst our collective bubbles, but it wouldn't really surprise me if July 1st comes and goes without any activity from Colangelo. Yes, he's talked a lot about the added "flexibility" gained from losing Barbosa's contract, but he justified the Bosh TPE in a similar manner, which ultimately went largely unused.
              Last edited by Nilanka; Fri May 4, 2012, 02:03 PM. Reason: Type-o

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                If Nash is to sign here, then the only thing I can see happening is Toronto sending Jose to Phoenix in a trade/swap (along with our 2012 pick and some other pieces - like JJ maybe. Comparing Nash to Jose is like comparing Coke to RC-Cola. It's just not the same, but Calderon would be an expiring contract and Phoenix would get a pass first PG that could fit into their system pretty seamlessly. This deal would be worth a lot more than losing Nash for nothing.

I do see Bryan making a move prior to free agency that will cut the cap in half which would make it difficult to acquire a guy like Nash. I do not see them using the amnesty on Jose either.
                The 2012 pick and Jose for Nash? I hope and pray to every god in every religion mankind has ever known that this proposition never happens. The draft pick should not and hopefully will not be used to acquire Nash.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Not to burst our collective bubbles, but it wouldn't really surprise me if July 1st comes and goes without any activity from Colangelo. Yes, he's talked a lot about the added "flexibility" gained from losing Barbosa's contract, but he justified the Bosh TPE we in a similar manner, which ultimately went largely unused.
                  You may very well be right.

If nothing big happens, I'll be disappointed.

I think the Raptors are at different places now with regards to the types of moves that can and hopefully will take place.

The Bosh TPE did bring James Johnson and Jerryd Bayless...... oh yeah, and Ajinca too!

Comment

• Not to put a fly into the ointment here, but why would Nash come to a team like Toronto when he wants to go to a "winning" team (I think). The Suns currently with Nash are arguably better than the Raps...why wouldn't Nash just stay there with all of his local commitments etc. I realize that there are not too many of the so-called winning teams with the cap space to take a Nash like contract except possibly the Mavs (which would be interesting) especially if Cuban can swing a trade for DH ...otherwise he would have to take a shave on the salary.

Comment

• If I were to name one player who puts loyalty ahead of money it's Nash.
                      Even when he was ready to sign with Phoenix. He let Dallas know every detail and was like it's up to you guys.

I would be surprised if he didn't go play with his buddies Dirk and Shawn.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                        Not to put a fly into the ointment here, but why would Nash come to a team like Toronto when he wants to go to a "winning" team (I think). The Suns currently with Nash are arguably better than the Raps...why wouldn't Nash just stay there with all of his local commitments etc. I realize that there are not too many of the so-called winning teams with the cap space to take a Nash like contract except possibly the Mavs (which would be interesting) especially if Cuban can swing a trade for DH ...otherwise he would have to take a shave on the salary.
                        I agree Nash to Toronto is far from a given and if he goes anywhere I do think Dallas would have more of a shot than Toronto. However, I do think Toronto would have a shot.

Dallas could probably send back Jones, Roddy, #17 pick, and a big ol' TPE.

Comment

The 2012 pick and Jose for Nash? I hope and pray to every god in every religion mankind has ever known that this proposition never happens. The draft pick should not and hopefully will not be used to acquire Nash.
                          yes. if any pick its a second rounder or two. an unrestricted free agent for a starting pg and a lottery pick because nash chose us is ridiculous. pheonix has absolutely no leverage in any sign and trade unless nash says "i will stay here unless you fuck yourselves to help the suns" in which case he should go back to the suns.

Comment

• All indications in Phoenix are the Suns will make Steve Nash a limited offer and he’ll move on. It makes sense as the Suns will have $23 million in salary cap room and they’ve gone as far as they can go. The Suns were always a player destination, and this will test whether they still are under the frugal Robert Sarver management. Many believe Nash instead of chasing a title with a contender for a lesser salary will go back to Canada and the Raptors for a three-year deal and help bring their young players along.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_120507.html
                            Oh the rumours we'll hear for the next 2 months.

Bring on the truth! July 11th, 2012

Comment

• As if the roster isn't in flux enough, without the potential fallout a Nash signing would cause!

- at what salary? and what cap space impact would his signing have?
                              - what is the market for a veteran pass-first PG on an expiring contract? or could/would they co-exist, even to the trade deadline?

sooooo many questions... may 30th can't get here fast enough, so we can start getting some answers instead of just more questions!

Comment

• Big announcement?

Canada Basketball sent out a press release earlier this evening … stating that they will host a press conference at 12pm tomorrow at Air Canada Centre.

No details were given, but there is strong speculation that what I first wrote about / reported 6 weeks ago could finally be made official (at in PART) on Tuesday:

———-

Wednesday March 21 2012 – 10:40pm Eastern – Toronto, ON

The details are sketchy right now but there is strong speculation swirling at the moment that Canada Basketball could be close to making a major announcement regarding its Men’s National Team.

Steve Nash may be taking over as the “General Manger” of Team Canada.

It would be a role similar to what Steve Yzerman (and, previously, Wayne Gretzky) has served for Hockey Canada.

This move has been swirling in the rumor mill for weeks (if not months) and it is apparently closer than ever.

If / when this unveiling is made, there is strong indication that Jay Triano will be named as Head Coach of the Canadian squad; his second stint as the lead man on the sidelines for the Canucks.

The Men’s National Team did not qualify for this summer’s Olympic Games in London and, thus, doesn’t really have any meaningful games on the horizon for at least another year. However, the hope would be – with Nash taking over – that the 2-time MVP would be able to attract Canada’s top talent (some who have arguably not shown up in Red and White in the past) and convince them to represent their country.

Time will tell if this truly goes down and what impact it could have on the future on the Canadian National program and the growth of the sport with current and future generations.

———-

I will be all over this news on Tuesday — as will @Paul__Jones — and as soon as any new information comes along, I’ll have it in this space and on Twitter ( www.twitter.com/Eric__Smith ).

A huge step for the present and FUTURE of Canada Basketball is (likely) about to be taken.

Have a good one folks.

E. Smith

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/e...ogle%20+Reader
                                Is this foreshadowing a link to another Canadian team?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Comment

Working...
                                X