Why Shake things up now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Why shake things now?! because when you lose you are more desperate to make a deal and teams know this and your players value will go down. Beside's this team is still not talented enough to be considered a serious playoff contender, so if there is a deal out there that will increase the over talent level (Rudy Gay) you need to consider it.

Lowry, Rudy Gay and JV as the Raptors starters begins to sound respectable to me.

+1

anytime you can add an All-Star to your team, you never pass it up. Rudy Gay is an amazing player, entering his prime. His stats don't do him justice, because he has two amazing bigs who do what they're supposed to do: post up, rebound and protect the paint. He understands the game better, so he doesn't have to be selfish and try and score 30 points a night. What people need to look at is team record. Memphis is 24 -10, Raptors are 14 - 22. I want winners on my team, not guys with potential or guys who try really hard. No knock on Ed Davis, I like him a lot and he has become one of the more consistent players on the Raptors. I wish it was Bargnani gone, but there's a reason why he's not mentioned.

Comment

The team is playing well but can go only so far. I'm not saying that Rudy Gay is the answer but unless he signs an extension for a reasonable price, Jose must be traded 'cause if he's not, we lose him for nothing. Management must think 'long term'.
      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I don't see a need to 'shake things up', but this current Raptors team is not even close to being a top-4 team in the weak Eastern Conference, so it makes no sense just to stand-still because of their current win streak either. I think any team should always be looking to improve, by trading from a position of strength and maximizing the value of their assets.

Moves I would strongly consider making, assuming a good trade is available (I would never trade just to make a trade):

1. Bargnani - long been a supporter and still think he could be an excellent offensive weapon, but I think I'm at least 90% sure he and Toronto need a divorce

2. Calderon - I always think that an expiring contract should be traded, instead of letting them walk for free (unless you plan on making a deep playoff run). I'd trade him and then look to sign him in the offseason

3. Anderson & Pietrus - older, veteran players at the Raptors' deepest position (wing), neither of which factors into the team's long-term plans, especially with DeRozan, Ross and Fields as three decent young wings. Playoff teams often look to bolster their lineups with good veteran 3pt shooters... draft picks anyone?

4. Davis/Amir - I still think they are both best suited to be backup PFs on a good team, although Davis has really impressed me of late. I wouldn't hesitate to trade one of them, especially if all the moves left Toronto with enough cap space to target a good starting PF in the offseason (assuming none are acquired in those moves - ie: Millsap)

5. DeRozan - I would give him up for Gay, but that's about it. I think Gay & Ross would make an excellent wing tandem for years to come
        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Sat Jan 12, 2013, 02:06 AM.

Comment

I don't know why anybody wants Gay on our team, at the price he comes at. He'll make twice what DD will over the next few years, yet despite his length and athleticism is NOT a good defender, his 3 point shooting is barely marginally better than DD's, and his overall FG% this year is very marginally better than AB's, yet y'all speak of him as an All-Star franchise type player? I don't get it. He's really not that good,,,,,,, or Memphis would be trying to save money some other way.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I don't see a need to 'shake things up', but this current Raptors team is not even close to being a top-4 team in the weak Eastern Conference, so it makes no sense just to stand-still because of their current win streak either. I think any team should always be looking to improve, by trading from a position of strength and maximizing the value of their assets.

Moves I would strongly consider making, assuming a good trade is available (I would never trade just to make a trade):

1. Bargnani - long been a supporter and still think he could be an excellent offensive weapon, but I think I'm at least 90% sure he and Toronto need a divorce

2. Calderon - I always think that an expiring contract should be traded, instead of letting them walk for free (unless you plan on making a deep playoff run). I'd trade him and then look to sign him in the offseason

3. Anderson & Pietrus - older, veteran players at the Raptors' deepest position (wing), neither of which factors into the team's long-term plans, especially with DeRozan, Ross and Fields as three decent young wings. Playoff teams often look to bolster their lineups with good veteran 3pt shooters... draft picks anyone?

4. Davis/Amir - I still think they are both best suited to be backup PFs on a good team, although Davis has really impressed me of late. I wouldn't hesitate to trade one of them, especially if all the moves left Toronto with enough cap space to target a good starting PF in the offseason (assuming none are acquired in those moves - ie: Millsap)

5. DeRozan - I would give him up for Gay, but that's about it. I think Gay & Ross would make an excellent wing tandem for years to come
            I remember when we were SUPPOSED to be the top 4 team in the east, ON PAPER, that stuff did not work out for us.

I am not so trusting of analysts and closetGM's anymore, I want to see what the guys on the floor can do. The chemistry with this team right now is off the scale. Show me the idiot that wants to throw the first stone.

I am loving this, and am EVEN willing to give Bryan Colangelo credit (I know I smacking myself right now for saying that, but... so far, its hard to argue, the team is perfoming. If we are going to pound him when we suck, we should stop and give him credit when things are going good. Yes, I know about the broken clock, always right, twice a day.)
            Last edited by BasketballCrush; Sat Jan 12, 2013, 02:56 AM.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
              Davis and Amir up front will only work with Jose running the point.

just saying.
              +1
              (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

Call me a sucker, but I still want to see Bargnani play with the "new Raptors" before any moves get made, if possible.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                  Call me a sucker, but I still want to see Bargnani play with the "new Raptors" before any moves get made, if possible.
                  Sucker.

(jk)

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Sucker.

(jk)
                    Mostly, I don't see the logic behind trading him right now. Our team is playing well without him, yes, but him being out is far from the only reason for the recent success. We aren't going to get anything significant back for him right now, and we have the right to amnesty him if things turn out really poorly. With that in mind, I feel that even with his shitty play to start the year, the benefit of him just maybe turning it around still outweighs his trade value right now.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                      Mostly, I don't see the logic behind trading him right now. Our team is playing well without him, yes, but him being out is far from the only reason for the recent success. We aren't going to get anything significant back for him right now, and we have the right to amnesty him if things turn out really poorly. With that in mind, I feel that even with his shitty play to start the year, the benefit of him just maybe turning it around still outweighs his trade value right now.
                      I understand the sentiments but after 7 years it seems everyone is better off with a move - Bargnani included.

I think from a basketball and business perspective (business I really don't care about though as I am not cutting the cheque) the Raps can do better than amnesty Bargnani. While his value is not high, I think he could return something of use.

I think that amnesty should be reserved for Kleiza.

Comment

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/co...utf8=%E2%9C%93

Gay would not even our best wing, let alone best player. Fields, Davis, Johnson, Calderon and Lowrey are all look more productive for the stats.

But he is a really good player. I wouldn't trade Fields for him, or give on Ross yet, but DeRozan for sure, no problem. Obsiously Bargnani, but doubt that would help the deal, reluctantly Calderon, ok.

I wonder if Gay is the best we can get for Calderon+DeRozan though?

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                          I don't know why anybody wants Gay on our team, at the price he comes at. He'll make twice what DD will over the next few years, yet despite his length and athleticism is NOT a good defender, his 3 point shooting is barely marginally better than DD's, and his overall FG% this year is very marginally better than AB's, yet y'all speak of him as an All-Star franchise type player? I don't get it. He's really not that good,,,,,,, or Memphis would be trying to save money some other way.
                          Although I haven't watched a lot of Rudy's games... I can't get out of my head how well Memphis played without him a couple years ago (ala Andrea Bargnani this year). Those guys scare me.
                          “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                          ― John Wooden

Comment

Trades I would make:

Calderon: He is an expiring contract we can always resign him in the offseason, if we can get something for him why not?

Calderon + Davis for Rudy Gay: I would not normally be in favor of trading Davis but this is pretty much a Davis for Rudy Gay swap if we consider Calderon is a free agent. We are taking on a bunch of salary but MLSE has tons of cash it is time for them to spend it, look what they did with the Blue Jays, I think MLSE, Rogers, and Bell want to win, and they have deep pockets.

Bargnani: If a decent deal presents itself that improves the team.

I would not trade Derozan, Ross, JV, Lowry. I think these guys are our future. One note on Derozan he seems to beat the epicenter of this positive vibe we are getting from the team, he looks like he is assuming a leadership role. I would not trade him as it might mess with team chemistry, besides that he is playing great.
                            "Defense wins championships."

Comment

Davis is a good player, he deserves to be traded for Rudy Gay.

I still would not do it. I like what Davis has shown this season, hate to be the prick that moves him elsewhere. He has been a good raptor.

Comment

Rumors of bargs to PHX and grizzlies apparently want Jared Dudley... I see potential in calderon +davis to memphis and bargs to PHX... could be great deal for the raps, i wish we could keep Davis but if our culture is becoming as good as we think it is, we could get him in (1-2 not sure) years when his contract is up. Wishful thinking of course, however i could not pass up on Gay. People forget hes the focus night in night out for his team. The pressure he would take off Derozan would be incredible.

On a side note i would hate to see Alan Anderson go i have seen so many good things from him and could see him being a excellent backup 3man for this team for the future. I think we have a lot of pieces but one we are clearly missing is an All star. IMO we have to boarder line all stars in Lowry and Demar but Gay is a proven all star already. The athleticism on our wing positions would be un believable and would love to see a 5 wing rotation (with some time being split at 4) with demar ross anderson field and gay.

Comment

Working...
                                X