Ujiri looking for big man coach.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ujiri looking for big man coach.

Reportedly Ujiri is looking for a big man coach!

'Leiweke: Ujiri looking for a big man coach right now. Think one of the all-time great big men.'

I'm guessing Hakeem.

Comment

I'd say more likely Kareem. The LA ties
      Ball Don't Lie

Comment

I'm thinking Ewing or Sabonis. Is Ewing on a staff right now?

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post

Yeah, MJ gave him a job in Charlotte

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            I think Sabonis is president of Lithuanian basketball federation and Ewing is with Hornets(charlotte); who's available?

Comment

Interesting. My money's on Sabonis, both because of the Lithuanian connection and because there just aren't that many other plausible candidates that aren't already working for another team.

Ewing - Bobcats
              Hakeem - Rockets
              Shaq - Don't really see him being a good influence
              McHale - Rockets
              Yao - Rockets
              Robinson - Not officially employed, but can't see him with anyone but the Spurs
              Malone - Jazz
              Russell - Maybe a possibility, but he hasn't shown any interest in this kind of job in the past
              Kareem - Again, maybe a possibility, but reports are that he wants a head coaching job. Don't see him working for the Raps as a player development coach.

Anyone I'm missing?

Comment

Well, first of all the guy has to want to come to Toronto. And I don't think a guy will be like "ewww! Toronto", but if Kareem has lived the past 20 years in LA, maybe he doesn't want to move anywhere.

And for Sabonis, it's a nice thought, but for a guy who hasn't really spent much time around the NBA since retiring, gotta wonder if it's a job he would even want.

Trying to think of other guys, just in general. I'm sure some of them wouldn't coach, or maybe would suck at it anyway....

Bob McAdoo...More of a PF, but he was a solid player. Currently on Miami's bench.

Moses Malone....Retired. Don't know if he'd want to, or can coach in any way. Rebounding machine.

Robert Parish....The forgotten C in Boston. Don't know if he would coach as well.

Elgin Baylor....If he wasn't so old....Can't see him wanting to do anything in the NBA again since he's almost 80. But he is one of the most underrated bigs ever.

Random and likely unpopular thought: Alonzo Mourning.

Another guy who I'm not at all sure would have interest in coaching: Vlade Divac

Casey's already compared JV to Jack Sikma this summer...maybe they pluck him from Adelman's staff (just like Bayno).

Probably a bunch more who'd fit the bill in some way.

Comment

Ralph Sampson is apparently available since leaving the Suns as an assistant coach last month. He helped do player development as well. I'd consider him.

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
                    Ralph Sampson is apparently available since leaving the Suns as an assistant coach last month. He helped do player development as well. I'd consider him.
                    There's another good name. I would be down with Sampson. I also think it's a plus to have a guy with coaching experience. Not critical, but definitely a bonus.

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                      Reportedly Ujiri is looking for a big man coach!

'Leiweke: Ujiri looking for a big man coach right now. Think one of the all-time great big men.'
                      Do you have a link for this quote? I'm just trying to figure out the context of this quote.

As for other possible names...don't think Big "Z" is considered one of the all-time great big men, but the Lithuanian connection is there.

Comment

How about rik smits. Would love to hear how the dunkin Dutchman is doing.
                        Welp, that sucked.

Comment

If Sabonis came to coach JV he would also be coaching the guy who would be one of the mainstays of the Lithuanian BB team for the next decade...killing two birds with one stone.

Comment

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              Do you have a link for this quote? I'm just trying to figure out the context of this quote.

As for other possible names...don't think Big "Z" is considered one of the all-time great big men, but the Lithuanian connection is there.
                              Big Z is special assistant to Chris Grant. so he's out.

Comment

Working...
                              X