Raptors 2014 Free Agency: non-Raptors thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    Toronto was linked to a Rondo rumour last season. Toronto has no stars but without Lowry, Toronto could have enough cap space in 2015 for two stars who might want to play together (say Rondo and Love for example).
    we don't have the clout for that sadly, not without a really good season this year. we need people to notice us before we're a destination for stars.

there's a ton of teams with cap space and a half-decent roster, that's not gonna be enough.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

It's being patient. And one thing we didn't have with BC is patience. Losing Lowry would be a severe blow. I suspect anywhere between 8-11th seed in the East. Bledsoe is going to cost a lot because he's an RFA. Spending a lot on him could create an Eric Gordon type of situation in New Orleans. Being capped out with no options. Bledsoe is also not that great (he sure had a good contract year despite his injuries though).

The Raptors still have a young team with JV/TR and the 2014 pick, and possibly a good 2015 pick so there is still growth to be had. They will also have a really good trade chip or asset to help attract talent.

Last thing I want to do is wasting cap space on mediocre talent that will be difficult to build around or to trade without getting worse. I think Bledsoe's contract will make him very difficult to trade. I think Deng is too old. Monroe wont' work with JV. Hayward duplicates talent we have. I just don't see a free agent out there that's worthwhile to keep moving in the same direction as last season without Lowry in toe.

With regards to wasting assets.. it really depends on those assets. Cap space is an asset too and using that on a guy like Bledsoe who might command $13M is probably worse than giving up a future first for a guy like Teague or Lawson.

I also don't think they need to blow it up. I mean the only guy you blow up is DeMar I guess, but I don't think he moves the dial that much for the win/loss column to have any affect.
      Well, to me you either waste the next year (DD would NOT take another losing year well at all), leaving you with ONE year to convince DD to stay, losing the final year of Amir's contract (and having to convince him to stay on a losing team, possibly losing him or having to overpay), and ending up with a middling late lotto or just-outside-the-lotto pick...

Or you avoid that treadmill status (no "winning culture", no high pick, no lure for free agents, none of your own players happy) and go one of two ways - you pay a premium for talent that could well get better (Bledsoe), knowing that the cap is rising quickly and a 14M deal for Bledsoe really isn't going to kill you long term, not as much as devaluing your other assets; or you trade away those assets that would be devalued (Amir and DD - both are too close to the end of their contracts) now while their value is high, get picks and young prospects in return, and build around JV and Ross, and then look to move pieces like GV and Patman (for the right price), as well as our expirings, closer to the deadline.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Toronto was linked to a Rondo rumour last season. Toronto has no stars but without Lowry, Toronto could have enough cap space in 2015 for two stars who might want to play together (say Rondo and Love for example).
        Rondo is not a star -_- he is a above average pg that can't shoot for shit. that's it. All he has is his passes.

I don't want him to ever dawn a raptors jersey, from what I read he's also kind of a dick. If you put him on the currently constructed team, we would be lucky to win 40 games.

Where's the spacing in a rondo dd ross Amir Jv starting lineup. All you have is ross and he can't even space the floor on a consistent basis. That sounds terrible.
        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Linked to Toronto via trade. Big difference. Trade is not his choice, free agency is all his choice.

Raps won't have enough cap space for 2 max/near max free agents if Lowry resigns unless Lowry, JV, Ross, and DD are only ones on roster.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            Well, to me you either waste the next year (DD would NOT take another losing year well at all), leaving you with ONE year to convince DD to stay, losing the final year of Amir's contract (and having to convince him to stay on a losing team, possibly losing him or having to overpay), and ending up with a middling late lotto or just-outside-the-lotto pick...

Or you avoid that treadmill status (no "winning culture", no high pick, no lure for free agents, none of your own players happy) and go one of two ways - you pay a premium for talent that could well get better (Bledsoe), knowing that the cap is rising quickly and a 14M deal for Bledsoe really isn't going to kill you long term, not as much as devaluing your other assets; or you trade away those assets that would be devalued (Amir and DD - both are too close to the end of their contracts) now while their value is high, get picks and young prospects in return, and build around JV and Ross, and then look to move pieces like GV and Patman (for the right price), as well as our expirings, closer to the deadline.
            DD isn't a superstar.. convincing him to stay or leave will be there even if they win. Him leaving isn't going to tear apart the team. I think he's good just not a guy that's super important for a championship team. Amir is a role player. I don't think you have to do much convincing to keep him around. And even if the team sucks.. their stock won't change much. DD will always be labeled as an all-star.. And Amir will always be labeled as an analytic dream.

The treadmill status is defined by being a 7-11 team with no way to improve. The Raptors will have a sh!t load of cap space for once. Hell even the Pistons can get free agents. Just need to get the right talent and Toronto should be able to especially with TL around.

$14M is a terrible deal for Bledsoe.. sorry that would making me vomit. Yeah sure cap space will go up.. but that's ridiculous. We are talking about the same Eric Bledsoe right? A 6'1 PG/SG that was coming off the bench for the Clippers? A guy that only played in 43 games last season in a contract year? And before that hasn't really done much in the league. He might be special.. but that's a really big risk in my opinion.

I'd feel better about the team without $14M going to Bledsoe and having much less money in 2015 than I would with just going into next season with the same team without Lowry.. Just my personal preference.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              Linked to Toronto via trade. Big difference. Trade is not his choice, free agency is all his choice.

Raps won't have enough cap space for 2 max/near max free agents if Lowry resigns unless Lowry, JV, Ross, and DD are only ones on roster.
              They'd have room if Lowry doesn't resign.. You only go after Rondo if Lowry isn't here.

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                Rondo is not a star -_- he is a above average pg that can't shoot for shit. that's it. All he has is his passes.

I don't want him to ever dawn a raptors jersey, from what I read he's also kind of a dick. If you put him on the currently constructed team, we would be lucky to win 40 games.

Where's the spacing in a rondo dd ross Amir Jv starting lineup. All you have is ross and he can't even space the floor on a consistent basis. That sounds terrible.
                Rondo is fine.. he's not a super star but he's a multiple all-star. Rondo can attract other stars. I'd rather have Rondo than DD.. if spacing is an issue trade DD.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                  we don't have the clout for that sadly, not without a really good season this year. we need people to notice us before we're a destination for stars.

there's a ton of teams with cap space and a half-decent roster, that's not gonna be enough.
                  TL is our star

Comment

Rondo is fine.. he's not a super star but he's a multiple all-star. Rondo can attract other stars. I'd rather have Rondo than DD.. if spacing is an issue trade DD.
                    Please tell me what dd is? Last i checked hes an allstar who should go back multiple times.

Whos younger? Oh yeah dd is

Whos played with 3 future hof? Oh yea rondo has right. Compare allen pierce and kg to fucking sunny weems james johnson and jose calderone.

One last thing, whos improved every year since coming into the league? Oh shit i think it might be dd. I heard hes improving his threepointer too!

Like honestly, i dont understand why you guys hate dd much and would take rondo over him. Pg thr deepest postion in the whole fucking league while sg is sooooooo thin right now.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
                    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

They'd have room if Lowry doesn't resign.. You only go after Rondo if Lowry isn't here.
                      Right. My bad.

Comment

Off topic but happy birthday nando de colo!

Comment

...I'd feel better about the team without $14M going to Bledsoe and having much less money in 2015 than I would with just going into next season with the same team without Lowry.. Just my personal preference.
                          Guys tend to step up in the absence of key players. It is difficult for them to do it over a whole season, but there is no arguing that players can step up when called upon. I'm not sure that losing Lowry would be a disaster. GV could be a competent starting PG. What would be important would be how much improvement does the team see from JV, Ross and DeMar? And how does MU shore up the bench. Losing Salmons would provide almost enough boost to the Raps to make up for the drop off in production losing Lowry does. If Masai can find a serviceable PF/C for the bench and another guard, then I could see the Raps making the playoffs again, but not in the third spot.

Comment

While Ujiri said team needs would include a big wing player who can defend as well as a shot blocker, the team is aiming to grab the best player available with the 20th pick.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/raptors-r...raft-days-away
                            Raps should just take best player available which I'm sure will happen.

However that description is Aminu.

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                              Please tell me what dd is? Last i checked hes an allstar who should go back multiple times.

Whos younger? Oh yeah dd is

Whos played with 3 future hof? Oh yea rondo has right. Compare allen pierce and kg to fucking sunny weems james johnson and jose calderone.

One last thing, whos improved every year since coming into the league? Oh shit i think it might be dd. I heard hes improving his threepointer too!

Like honestly, i dont understand why you guys hate dd much and would take rondo over him. Pg thr deepest postion in the whole fucking league while sg is sooooooo thin right now.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
                              Rondo had greatness around him.. can't argue with that point. But I like DeMar. I just don't think he's special. Nobody here believes DeMar is a superstar.. but from a non-superstar/all-star point of view I think Rondo is better. Rondo makes others around him better. He's not that bad of a shooter if given space.. and he is smart. I love players that are smart.

Lowry is a dick too.. and we want him back. If Lowry wasn't here and the choice was to find a PG for DeMar or a SG for Rondo I'd take the SG for Rondo because it would be easier to find and I think the team would be better off.

Also Rondo I think has more super-star friends in the league. Despite their age differences I think a super star would rather play with Rondo (because he shares the ball) than DD (who likes to keep the ball in his hands). This is totally a subjective point of view since I have no idea if DD has super star friends or not. Rondo also knows how to win. DD doesn't. That's a quality I'd love to have in a player that plays for the Raps.

When was the last time we had a guy play for the team that has a ring?

Comment

Just watching a bit of NBA tv and saw that Luol Deng was in town attending a celebration event MU was organizing for Nelson Mandela. Though I admit I the details on MU's involvement are hazy as I wasn't paying attention. I'm thinking he would be a great fit with the Raptors at this stage.

Comment

Working...
                                X