This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Discussions - Why the Secrecy?

Can anybody shed light on why teams need to be super secretive on trade discussions that theyre involved in?

I mean the logical thing is probably because they dont want other teams to jump in and steal the transaction from them, but do NBA teams really do this? If they hear a trade discussion going on, are they like "hey, lets think of something better to offer the other team and try to beat that other team out of that trade" i mean it kinda sounds pathetic, coz youd think teams are actually looking at their rosters and trying to go into trade discussions to better their team, not to steal another team's trade or spite another team.

I think its funny how sometimes they deny that their is a potential deal going down and 2 hours later they tell the media that they just agreed to a trade.

When a reporter says "according to my sources", does that mean its stolen information?

I think you pretty much just answered your own question. Its all about "the leverage" and being as discrete as possible.

Comment

hahaha. i said that was the "logical" response. but i think there maybe more to it.

Comment

Maybe because it's the classy thing to do. So the parties mentioned in theses trades, most of which don't happen, don't find out. I don't think it's unreasonable for a player to find out about a trade before the public.

Comment

Katman wrote: View Post
          Maybe because it's the classy thing to do. So the parties mentioned in theses trades, most of which don't happen, don't find out. I don't think it's unreasonable for a player to find out about a trade before the public.
          player's perspective...thats right...

Comment

It's also about managing fan expectations. By far the majority of trades that are discussed never come to fruition. If you tell the fans every trade you discuss, all you're going to get are angry fans (and media pundits) who feel that many of the uncompleted trades are a failure on the part of the GM.

Comment

Sometimes potential (?) trades are in fact purposely leaked to receive counter offers/calls from other teams.... and as trial balloons to gauge value.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                I think you pretty much just answered your own question. Its all about "the leverage" and being as discrete as possible.
                Exactly. It`s one big game of poker. Anyone here show other players their cards in Hold'em before the chips are down? Call me, let's have a game.

Comment

lets play poker!

Comment

you can't bluff when you show your hand
                    quit asking bc to show us his cards

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                      Can anybody shed light on why teams need to be super secretive on trade discussions that theyre involved in?
                      I would tell you but it is a secret
                      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

it's because of things like bleacher report where it's the fans writing and youy get people saying oh this isn't a good trade for this team because this guy's always injured and this guys way better, this guy will end up being benched and bought out because he doesn't want to play hear.

you get people inside the organizatioin reading these and then the gm ends up changing his mind and the trade never happens.

the reason people like doug smith or adrien wosniewski(w/e his name is) don't say this is a bad trade is because they get payed to writer stuff and if you start writing negative crap about trades and stuff thye can get in shit.

so, it's better if the organization just doesn't admit to anything although soemone will evewntually end up spilling the beans.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                          it's because of things like bleacher report where it's the fans writing and youy get people saying oh this isn't a good trade for this team because this guy's always injured and this guys way better, this guy will end up being benched and bought out because he doesn't want to play hear.

you get people inside the organizatioin reading these and then the gm ends up changing his mind and the trade never happens.
                          I sincerely hope no GM changes his mind based on what gets said on an internet forum.
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                          X