SGs: Who will not return next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    More than Fields, Matt52 are you really arguing that Fields is the Raptors long term answer at starting 2 guard seriously?

Like I said earlier you think its DeMars fault why Raps lose games?
    If Rudy Gay is the starting 3, then yes, a healthy Fields would be a better long term answer at the starting 2 guard than DeRozan.

Your second question is nonsense and off topic.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
      Pau looks done in my eyes. I think the injuries have gotten to him, he's not the same player anymore.
      I think Pau needs a Timmy Duncan transformation where he loses weight and gets leaner/more toned. Get McKechnie on the phone! Those rooting for Brian Shaw and the triangle then get a big time anchor from it.... Ooooo! Then hire former AEG CEO Tim Leiweke! Oooooo! And then hire Mitch Kupchak after he takes the fall for either not making playoffs or getting ousted in first round! But I digress....

What about something like this (**Keep in mind JV and Fields are used only to match DD's 2013-14 salary in trade machine**):

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=cj735x9

Toronto: Gasol, Barea/Ridnour, Wolves 1st rd pick
      Lakers: Bargnani
      Wolves: DeRozan, 2014 2nd rd from Raps

OR

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=clxx4sm

Toronto: Gasol, Williams, Wolves 1st rd pick

Depending on first or second trade scenario above, Raps then have mini-MLE to get PG (Calderon pair with Pau?) or wing (Wright or Dunleavy?).

I'm sure everyone will say: "Lakers never trading Gasol for Bargnani!" And you are right. The assumption here is Dwight Howard resigns and they are looking to cut as much salary as possible heading in to new luxury tax. Saving $8M in this trade as LA does (don't forget Bargs 5% trade kicker) means the Lakers save $34-$38M in luxury tax next year assuming Howard resigns for max money.

This is thinking out loud... please no cyber murder.

Comment

• It isnt nonsense because all your comments are pointing to DeMar being the major problem with the Raptors, which is ridiculous. Saying that is selling DeMar incredibly short he had a pretty dam good year, He takes long 2s so what? more often than not (this year) hes been hitting them night in night out Garnett and Rip take that shot as a go to weapon and its where DeMar practiced because he knows he cant hit the 3. If DeMar is nailing that shot why complain about it?

His percentage would be a lot better if the refs respected the Raptors to give him the calls when its a foul, what Fields does DeMar can learn any player can emulate what Fields brings scoring however you can't, not to mention Fields is a dreaful ft shooter what you are talking about is a dream situation that Fields starts is healthy and plays like his rookie season things dont work out like that....DeMar is a talented guy eager to learn picks up a lot of the scoring slack when the Raptors seemingly cant buy a basket to save their live (you have seen this with Gay)

Saying Fields over DeMar based on what ifs what if is just incredibly silly... and the last thing Raps want is Pussy Gasoft.

Comment

It isnt nonsense because all your comments are pointing to DeMar being the major problem with the Raptors, which is ridiculous. Saying that is selling DeMar incredibly short he had a pretty dam good year, He takes long 2s so what? more often than not (this year) hes been hitting them night in night out Garnett and Rip take that shot as a go to weapon and its where DeMar practiced because he knows he cant hit the 3. If DeMar is nailing that shot why complain about it?

His percentage would be a lot better if the refs respected the Raptors to give him the calls when its a foul, what Fields does DeMar can learn any player can emulate what Fields brings scoring however you can't, not to mention Fields is a dreaful ft shooter what you are talking about is a dream situation that Fields starts is healthy and plays like his rookie season things dont work out like that....DeMar is a talented guy eager to learn picks up a lot of the scoring slack when the Raptors seemingly cant buy a basket to save their live (you have seen this with Gay)

Saying Fields over DeMar based on what ifs what if is just incredibly silly... and the last thing Raps want is Pussy Gasoft.
          I dont think they understand..... I'm not saying that DD is untouchable (everyone not named JV could be taken for the right price). What i think we‘re saying is LF is not a starting SG anymore (based on the this year and last year).

Matt52, CalgaryRapsFan & BC seem to think that he is. Which goes against all logic at the moment. I refuse to drink the kool-aid!!

LF needs to show improvement before i even consider him as the starting SG for next season. You guys HOPE all you want....I prefer to see results first.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I think Pau needs a Timmy Duncan transformation where he loses weight and gets leaner/more toned. Get McKechnie on the phone! Those rooting for Brian Shaw and the triangle then get a big time anchor from it.... Ooooo! Then hire former AEG CEO Tim Leiweke! Oooooo! And then hire Mitch Kupchak after he takes the fall for either not making playoffs or getting ousted in first round! But I digress....

What about something like this (**Keep in mind JV and Fields are used only to match DD's 2013-14 salary in trade machine**):

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=cj735x9

Toronto: Gasol, Barea/Ridnour, Wolves 1st rd pick

OR

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=clxx4sm

Toronto: Gasol, Williams, Wolves 1st rd pick

Depending on first or second trade scenario above, Raps then have mini-MLE to get PG (Calderon pair with Pau?) or wing (Wright or Dunleavy?).

I'm sure everyone will say: "Lakers never trading Gasol for Bargnani!" And you are right. The assumption here is Dwight Howard resigns and they are looking to cut as much salary as possible heading in to new luxury tax. Saving $8M in this trade as LA does (don't forget Bargs 5% trade kicker) means the Lakers save $34-$38M in luxury tax next year assuming Howard resigns for max money.

This is thinking out loud... please no cyber murder.
            I'm waiting for your to write something I disagree with. *cricket sounds*
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

It isnt nonsense because all your comments are pointing to DeMar being the major problem with the Raptors, which is ridiculous. Saying that is selling DeMar incredibly short he had a pretty dam good year, He takes long 2s so what? more often than not (this year) hes been hitting them night in night out Garnett and Rip take that shot as a go to weapon and its where DeMar practiced because he knows he cant hit the 3. If DeMar is nailing that shot why complain about it?

Go re-read the thread. You are making up shit now and putting pixels on my keyboard.

DeMar is not the problem. DeMar is the least talented of two players with similar offensive games and possessing the most trade value of three other players.

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                I dont think they understand..... I'm not saying that DD is untouchable (everyone not named JV could be taken for the right price). What i think we‘re saying is LF is not a starting SG anymore (based on the this year and last year).

Matt52, CalgaryRapsFan & BC seem to think that he is. Which goes against all logic at the moment. I refuse to drink the kool-aid!!

LF needs to show improvement before i even consider him as the starting SG for next season. You guys HOPE all you want....I prefer to see results first.
                The reality is demar and Rudy do not compliment each other at all, they are the same player with derozan being less talented. Go check the record then come talk. Landry fields possesses things you cannot teach, he has a very high basketball iq and he knows how to play a team game. You cannot develop basketball iq at 23 years of age(demar), he may learn a couple of things here and there but he'll never be as smart as Landry in that area. Derozan plays a pickup style of game with no defense where as Landry actually plays a team game.

Comment

• And also, you guys must be pretty stupid if you think we're comparing Landry and demar here. We're talking about who FITS, this has nothing to do with talent, but more of skillet suited for the position. Lakers are a great example, No one compliments each other well on that team. Nash had to become a spot up shooter instead of a passer

Comment

• akashsingh wrote: View Post
                    damn completely gave up on ross eh?
                    I saw more negative than positive for the most part when he was on the floor, but he also steps onto the floor being negative. Poor body language, poor composure. Demar was probably our best rookie at being consistent with the attitude, JV is right there too.

I'm one of those people who say "if you can prove me wrong, go ahead", but this is my current attitude towards Ross. Just haven't been a fan quite frankly. I will say though, he's had some great games (probably like 2) and is a fun player to watch in the open court.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

The reality is demar and Rudy do not compliment each other at all, they are the same player with derozan being less talented. Go check the record then come talk. Landry fields possesses things you cannot teach, he has a very high basketball iq and he knows how to play a team game. You cannot develop basketball iq at 23 years of age(demar), he may learn a couple of things here and there but he'll never be as smart as Landry in that area. Derozan plays a pickup style of game with no defense where as Landry actually plays a team game.
                      I think Demar has a really good understanding of the game now, hence the way he plays out on the floor. He definitely has a better IQ than Ross.

Comment

• I think Ross and Gay fit, IF the coach uses them properly. Having Gay and Derozan run iso's half the time is not to their success.

Gay:

- Low Post
                        - ISO
                        - Pick and Roll

Derozan:

- Low post
                        - Off-ball screens
                        - Pick and Roll

In my honest opinion, if the coach would have one - Demar/Rudy - on the low block, possibly Amir up at the top of the key, JV on the other block, than the other - Demar/Rudy - would sit in the corner, with Lowry waiting up top as the safety anchor. Now, that is obviously if Demar develops his corner 3, and Rudy starts to gain his stroke back, but I personally think that would be effective. We've seen some splints of it, and it definitely works pretty well.

Even have Rudy run the offense at times, allow Demar to run off the screen, and if it doesn't go, reset, or wait for Demar to establish in the post. Once Demar gets it, have Rudy run off of him. Maybe run a wing pick and roll between Gay/Derozan?

Now, these are some suggestions, who knows, whether or not these actually work. I personally think putting Demar and Gay in the low post more often than not is where you will get the best out of both.

BUT, Demar/Rudy will not fit as long as Casey is the coach.

Comment

And also, you guys must be pretty stupid if you think we're comparing Landry and demar here. We're talking about who FITS, this has nothing to do with talent, but more of skillet suited for the position. Lakers are a great example, No one compliments each other well on that team. Nash had to become a spot up shooter instead of a passer
                          I think your pretty stupid for thinking you can forsee the future. Landry "fits"??.....you mean if he can shoot again?? The guy needs rehab for god's sake!.....and your ready to put him into the starting lineup!! lol Do you have a timetable on his injury that we don't?? Are you sure he'll go back to his rookie year shooting?

We're talking about Landry Fields AS IS....your talking about Landry Fields in best case scenario (hope filled homers). Landry Fields AS IS means we'll be playing 4 on 5 offensively with him out on the floor. If you think that compliments anyone your drinking wayy too much kool-aid.

The guy needs time to get back to form (if he ever does). What i'm saying is let's wait and see before we trade away Demar. You thinking LF OR TROss is ready to climb into the starter's role is pretty silly IMO. I do hope your right and we can improve our team, BUT right now LF does NOTHING to improve our team AS IS. Your basically making a whole lot of assumptions......do you know someone with a similar injury?? Are you a doctor?

Comment

I think your pretty stupid for thinking you can forsee the future. Landry "fits"??.....you mean if he can shoot again?? The guy needs rehab for god's sake!.....and your ready to put him into the starting lineup!! lol Do you have a timetable on his injury that we don't?? Are you sure he'll go back to his rookie year shooting?

We're talking about Landry Fields AS IS....your talking about Landry Fields in best case scenario (hope filled homers). Landry Fields AS IS means we'll be playing 4 on 5 offensively with him out on the floor. If you think that compliments anyone your drinking wayy too much kool-aid.

The guy needs time to get back to form (if he ever does). What i'm saying is let's wait and see before we trade away Demar. You thinking LF OR TROss is ready to climb into the starter's role is pretty silly IMO. I do hope your right and we can improve our team, BUT right now LF does NOTHING to improve our team AS IS. Your basically making a whole lot of assumptions......do you know someone with a similar injury?? Are you a doctor?
                            You obviously haven't read the entire thread, since those of us in favor of this type of move keep saying that Fields won't be required to score many points in the revamped starting lineup, just because he's replacing DeRozan.

Part of the problem with the makeup of the current starting lineup is that there are too many scorers who all need the ball to be successful individually. Lowry isn't even able to play his style of game because he's too busy deferring to Gay & DeRozan, while also trying to feed the ball to Valanciunas, Johnson and DeRozan, to help make each of them successful. Having 2 high-volume, inefficient scorers in the same lineup just won't work, especially when neither of them is the PG who also needs to facilitate for the other 2 players; there aren't enough balls to go around.

Fields will provide balance to the lineup, by reducing the demand for the ball and doing the stuff he already is good at (and much better already than DeRozan):
                            - perimeter defense
                            - off-ball play on offense
                            - facilitating ball movement on offense
                            - rebounding at both ends

Fields will be the #5 scorer on the starting lineup (especially if DeRozan is traded for a more offensive-minded starting PF), so your point about his shot needing to improve and become more consistent isn't even that important. Even so, his shot has clearly improved over the past month or so as is, so I'm confident that an offseason and training camp will only further help him improve his mechanics.

Fields won't be asked to replace DeRozan's scoring, even though he'll be replacing DeRozan as the starting SG! He'll be asked to do what Anthony Parker did for the Raptors during their playoff years with Bosh. He's a 'glue guy' being asked to provide defense and intangibles, similar to Tony Allen in Memphis, MWP in LA, etc...
                            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Apr 9, 2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Even if he somehow does not fix his jumpshot, he still has an amazing bball iq, moves well OFF the ball, rebounds the ball, and is an awesome defender. he compliments this team well because he doesn't need the ball in his hands every possession to have a positive impact on the game

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                                I think Ross and Gay fit, IF the coach uses them properly. Having Gay and Derozan run iso's half the time is not to their success.

Gay:

- Low Post
                                - ISO
                                - Pick and Roll

Derozan:

- Low post
                                - Off-ball screens
                                - Pick and Roll

In my honest opinion, if the coach would have one - Demar/Rudy - on the low block, possibly Amir up at the top of the key, JV on the other block, than the other - Demar/Rudy - would sit in the corner, with Lowry waiting up top as the safety anchor. Now, that is obviously if Demar develops his corner 3, and Rudy starts to gain his stroke back, but I personally think that would be effective. We've seen some splints of it, and it definitely works pretty well.

Even have Rudy run the offense at times, allow Demar to run off the screen, and if it doesn't go, reset, or wait for Demar to establish in the post. Once Demar gets it, have Rudy run off of him. Maybe run a wing pick and roll between Gay/Derozan?

Now, these are some suggestions, who knows, whether or not these actually work. I personally think putting Demar and Gay in the low post more often than not is where you will get the best out of both.

BUT, Demar/Rudy will not fit as long as Casey is the coach.
                                If only the Raps had a coach with an offense. I don't blame Casey. Firing Mitchell when they did setback the development of the players on this team dramatically. Replacing mediocre players with mediocre players instead of building team chemistry also set this team back. In this environment a defense first coach is needed. The problem is that means this team is in year 2 of a 4 or 5 year rebuild (when you bring in the real head coach), but has the cap issues of a team that is already built.

What a mess. Personally, I would keep Demar. Real wing players are becoming more rare. BUT what other real trade options do they have if they want to move Bargs for more than some one else's garbage? Personally, I move Bargnani for anything. Bite the bullet and move on. They already traded ED for a major cap hit and no playoffs. Moving Demar just to rid the team of Bargs would have a big impact on the locker room.

Comment

Working...
                                X