Toronto Raptors - Wine Cellar Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Raptors - Wine Cellar Team

Bill Simmons had written a book called "The Book of Basketball". In one of his chapters in his book he lists out his Wine Cellar Team.

His definition of such a team is to pick the best 12 guys on the roster to ever play the game. The one rule is that you can only choose one guy from one particular season. For example, if he chose Michael Jordan, he could only select a Michael Jordan from one season that he played. The term 'wine cellar' comes for the fact that a bottle of wine is typically selected based on its year. So if we chose Vince Carter, it would be a specific Vince Carter from one season, and not the entire Vince Carter package that we see today.

I was reading some of that book this weekend, and was thinking about who I would place on the Toronto Raptors Wine Cellar Team.

So if I was able to borrow the DeLorean and a Flux Capicator, so that I can arrange to get 12 guys (and a coach) to play a game of basketball, this is what I would like to see happen:

C - Antonio Davis (2000-2001)
    PF - Chris Bosh (2008-2009)
    SF - Morris Peterson (2005-2006)
    SG - Vince Carter (2000-2001)
    PG - Damon Stoudamire (1996-1997)

Bench:
    Marcus Camby (1997-1998)
    Charles Oakley (2000-2001)
    Doug Christie (1996-1997)
    Anthony Parker (2006-2007)
    Jose Calderon (2007-2008)
    Jorge Garbajosa (2006-2007)
    Alvin Williams (2002-2003)

Coach:
    Dwane Casey (2011-2012)

My team is not just based on the best statistical season. For example, Chris Bosh's best statistical season was 2009-2010, however he had one foot out the door after the all-star team, and in my opinion that's not a worthy season for me. I also picked some character guys that I would like on the team (Jorge, Jose, Alvin, and Anthony for example). And even though Casey only coached one season.. I'd rather have him coach the team then anybody else.

Who would you put on your wine cellar team?

I think I would pick an 99/00 Tracy McGrady over Mo Pete.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Yes Dwayne Casey is the better coach but you wouldn't take Sam Mitchell's COY year instead? No doubt after everything is said and done Casey will be a better coach, but present day that one year from Mitchell was something.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
        I'd also take 07/08 or 08/09 Jose over Damon. 50-40-90 club is pretty elite in the NBA.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
          It was hard for me to skip TMac, but MoPete had a much better 3FG%, and that's why I chose him. He's also an adequate defender. TMac was a big time tweener when he was on the Raps, and he would have had a harder time defending some of the bigger SF's in the league.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
            I'd also take 07/08 or 08/09 Jose over Damon. 50-40-90 club is pretty elite in the NBA.
            Yeah, I put 07/08 Jose on my bench. He had a fantastic season.. but would still rather have Damon as my starter. I'd probably have Jose as my 6th man though.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
              Yes Dwayne Casey is the better coach but you wouldn't take Sam Mitchell's COY year instead? No doubt after everything is said and done Casey will be a better coach, but present day that one year from Mitchell was something.
              I never really liked Sam Mitchell. This was a bias pick, lol. I think the COY award went to him more for because of Bryan then because of Sam. Bryan's moves in the off season put together a better squad for Sam to work with, thus his record improved and the league noticed. I'd still rather have Dwane lead that team.

Comment

Bargnani doesn't even make the bench? ouch
                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Lowry doesn't make the bench?

Comment

I'd have to put 00-01 Keon clark on the bench. One of Toronto's all time best shot blockers.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                      Bargnani doesn't even make the bench? ouch
                      For me it was a tough call between Anthony Parker and Bargnani. But the only season I thought Bargnani was worth it was last season, yet he only played 35 games. Who would you replace for Bargnani off my team?

mattscottnelson wrote: View Post
                      Lowry doesn't make the bench?
                      Lowry hasn't played a game for the Raps yet. My flux capacitor can only go in the past not the future, so I couldn't use him. If he plays the I way I hope he does, then yeah he would take Alvin Williams spot on the bench.

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                      I'd have to put 00-01 Keon clark on the bench. One of Toronto's all time best shot blockers.
                      I thought about Clark, but thought Camby would be as good (plus give you rebounds and points if we needed them). Who would you have replaced off my bench for Clark?

Comment

I always thought Butch a great coach, particulary hard on lamps though

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          It was hard for me to skip TMac, but MoPete had a much better 3FG%, and that's why I chose him. He's also an adequate defender. TMac was a big time tweener when he was on the Raps, and he would have had a harder time defending some of the bigger SF's in the league.
                          While I can understand to some extent Mo Pete over TMac (perhaps if you are really trying to put together a "team" of the most complmentary players, you need a shooter. I would still disagree pretty strongly, as the TMac from the year before he left was the best lock down perimeter defender we have ever had (could defend 3 or 4 positions) - and could score the ball at the rim and was developing a nice mid range jumper.

To not even include him on the bench(!?) seems a little crazy to me. Same with AB .. even the rookie AB is quite a bit better than half the guys you have on your bench.

None the less .. good topic and good post ....

Comment

Working...
                          X